Author Topic: Missing Wings and Tails  (Read 451 times)

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
Missing Wings and Tails
« on: June 20, 2004, 09:36:24 AM »
Last night I chose one of the new F6-F skins by Greebo (ver nice work Greebo). The one with the stripped tail.

One of my squaddies wanted to see what it looked like so he pulled up next to me and said ... "What tail, you don't have a tail". My other squaddie flew up next to me and said I indeed did have a tail and it was stripped.

My squaddie left the arena, and came back in and was able to see it. Maybe this has to do with the the constant whine about ... "How can these planes be flying around with no wings and/or tails".

Just a thought.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline ALF

• Silver Member
      • http://www.mikethinks.com
Missing Wings and Tails
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2004, 10:27:21 AM »
I noticed last night several 'fresh' (new takeoffs) with missing wings etc...seems to be a plane buffer not getting cleared and a new plane comes up with a previous planes pieces missing or something

Offline Cobra412

• Silver Member
Missing Wings and Tails
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2004, 01:19:35 PM »
Tango, SkatSr and myself saw something similiar to this last night.  Initially Tango and SkatSr took off together and Tango said SkatSrs P-51D was missing a tail and right wing.  Sure enough by the time I got to them he was.  Half of the right wing was missing, right flap and whole tail section.

Offline MOSQ

• Silver Member
Missing Wings and Tails
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2004, 10:45:34 PM »
I noted the same thing. Was fighting a P-51 near our CV. He flew into the ack and lost major pieces of his plane, then crashed.

I flew over to the enemy airbase right next to the Cv, watched the P-51 re-up, with no right wing and no tail. Was so funny I let him up and fly around watching him just below me. He was flying in full control. Finally another countryman came over and took him out.

Apparently the last damage occasionally gets cached in memory, but does not affect flight.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2004, 12:58:14 PM by MOSQ »

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
Missing Wings and Tails
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2004, 08:58:19 AM »
Yeah, I've seen this. I saw a guy flying around last night in just a fuselage with two short wing stubs.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline AKCasca

• Copper Member
Missing Wings and Tails
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2004, 12:47:28 PM »
hmm havent seen that yet, all i have noticed like that is every Spitfire seems to be missing 1/2 its left wing.

Offline Zanth

• Silver Member
      • http://www.a-26legacy.org/photo.htm
Missing Wings and Tails
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2004, 01:36:47 PM »
Originally posted by Captain Virgil Hilts
Yeah, I've seen this. I saw a guy flying around last night in just a fuselage with two short wing stubs.

I've got screenshots of this same thing (a lancaster).   The Lancaster pilot said on his end the plane looked normal.  I have also shot to pieces b26s (no tail parts of any description) but the still flew as if nothing was wrong.

The Lancaster was a friendly, a recent takeoff.  A gv on thground first noticed it, I then flew over to see what he was talking about.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2004, 02:13:48 PM by Zanth »

Offline MOSQ

• Silver Member
Missing Wings and Tails
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2004, 02:08:09 PM »
I've done the same thing to B-26s and B-17's. Shoot em to pieces and they keep flying.

The question is: Is this a different bug or related to the bug of a plane taking off fresh with no wings? The taking off fresh with vital parts missing bug would seem to be a memory cache problem, while the shooting a plane to bits but it keeps flying normally is a damage model bug.

Maybe they are related and maybe not......