Author Topic: stutter issues - try this  (Read 510 times)

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Inc. Aces High
stutter issues - try this
« on: July 05, 2004, 03:13:42 PM »
Just got back in from a long weekend and noticed patch 5 was out.

Anyway, I decided to to uninstall ah2 and do a complete reinstall.
I deleted the folder after uninstall - getting rid of all skins folders, ect.....
I did save the .HPS (headposistion?) , .kmp (keymap), along with my joystick config files in the settings folder and placed the entire folder back into the AH2 folder. Actually, i deleted all of the .pwl files in settings (not sure what those are) and the video8.cfg file

Now, before getting up and flying, I went and looked at all the planes / vehicles in the hanger. Here, you could see that when you clicked on new vehicle/airplane, you would see the textures filling in on the white model. But, after you clicked on the same plane/vehicle after you have first looked at it, the textures would appear  in a flash.

Anyway, I took a 190 up and aimed it at NME HQ and flew for an hour, letting new skins download. Anyway, at HQ, of course the 163s, 262s and 51s started upping.

There were no stutters at d600, d400 or d200. when approached by the nme aircraft.  Infact, the complete flight was stutter free.

Anyway, I'm off to finish downloading the new skins and then I will "look" at all the new skins in the hanger.

I'll also try to get into a big furball and see what the results are.

So if you're having an issue with stutters, try it - worth a shot.

BTW - was running this at 1024 texture size at 1024x1028 res. Unlimited texture loading seleced, Level Of Detail set 3/4 towards more detail, Object distance 3 miles and object detail 3/4 towards more detail.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2004, 03:19:50 PM by Waffle »

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2004, 03:37:46 PM »
Went and looked at all textures, upped at a base under heavy attack - no stutters.

Only thing that I had that was odd, but not an issue - was when first getting into plane, was watching the white boxes/ model parts get filled in by textures - took less than 1/2 second, maybe .25 second - enough to be visable, but not enough to disrupt playability.

Also, something i'll be looking at later - the downloaded skins, once selected on a certain aircraft, would take alittle bit longer to "fill" in the model.

When you select a craft with a default skin then goto another player-skinned craft with a 'res file skin. there was a slight pause to fill in the texture.

Was wondering if this would be related to the fact that the "Hanger" remembers your selection of skin from the last time you "flew" that craft. Would the access of data to find what skin was used the last time you were in the craft cause this pause?

Also I need to mention, that I do not have any skin folders in my directory that are not .res files. Got rid of all the add-on skins that haven't been approved and released by HTC.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2004, 04:03:22 PM by Waffle »

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2004, 11:25:10 PM »
punt :) anyone try this out?

Offline MOSQ

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2004, 01:33:29 AM »
Originally posted by Waffle BAS
punt :) anyone try this out?

In a different way. I usually sit in a field ack next to a runway that's heavily used. Constant stutters as each new plane ups and flys by 150 yards away.

I also tried the click on every skin in the hangar after 30 mins in the ack.

It helps, but I still get a  2-3 second screenfreeze occasionally as I get close to an enemy plane. Even planes I attacked 45 minutes prior with the same skin.

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2004, 11:58:39 AM »
cc - know what your saying...but you wouldn't see all the default planes . default gvs let alone all the player skinned aircraft sitting on a feild.

who knows - it might not help, could be just a coincidence with patch 5 that worked out for me.

But i'm really starting to think that the people having texture issues this might help.

Also the stutter when using the hat to look around  - the last texture filled is the canopy area of an airplane.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2004, 12:03:34 PM by Waffle »

Offline TalonX

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2004, 12:00:22 PM »
Finally something that makes sense...

I, too, was having the  SAM ("stutter at merge") with the enemy and hadn't heard a good explanation.

Stuttering during the skin update or load makes sense, I guess.
-TalonX

Forgotten, but back in the game.  :)

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2004, 12:00:59 PM »
That would explain why back in beta the guys who had been flying for hours/days had fewer problems than those just joining.

Not that I've had much of a problem on this end.

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2004, 02:03:11 PM »
I don't know if having flown in Beta means anything. This seems to be more of an anomoly to do with the game and certain systems. I've been flying since beta patch 20-something, and have had remarkably few video problems, at least nothing so serious I couldn't turn a few settings down and eliminate. Rather, remarkably few probs til patch 4/5.

I dumped all my non-approved skins, ran adaware, defragged, reduced texture size to 1 notch below default, loaded the performance drivers instead of quality, all in game sliders down to performance, text/frame of 1, 60 fps max, vsync on, no AAS, no AF,
1024x768, sound accel turned down, all windows control panel settings to performance, killed all extra processes, etc etc.

I have noticed that most of my stuttering freezing problems are gone, but that's a crappy way to do it (still have them occasionally, but game performance[using fps as the basis for that], being at a higher constant, doesn't suffer as badly). Have you guys tried renaming your sounds folder and running the game w/o sound to see if the stutters stopped? I had 0 probs for the 10-15 mins I flew that way, wonder if its some odd sound accel problem?

Oh, also should mention I've been rebooting after playing any other games, or using the pc for any length of time, before logging in to AH. I have no idea which of these changes has helped, but it seems to run better to me. I'm pretty confident they'll sort it out in the near future, so I'll keep playing around with it. Good luck with your problems, hope they resolve soon.

Cheers,
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2004, 02:08:10 PM »
I was just suggesting this for folks to try this only once - to recognize all the skins. You wouldn't have to do it again, unless you changed texture resolution...and even then  - not sure if you would have to do it.

Thinking it would help some folks when they get close to other planes, then blame it on "huge stutters" or "unplayable" factors.

Would even help the stutters from Cpit using hat views, I believe.