Author Topic: Shooting American Iron.  (Read 1117 times)

Offline ravells

• Silver Member
Shooting American Iron.
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2004, 05:56:53 PM »
Best American Iron I've ever shot:

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Shooting American Iron.
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2004, 06:02:28 PM »
Originally posted by Furious
Crappiest Thunderbird platform EVAR!!

Put on much better shows in those than they do today.

Very nice pics Torque.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline cpxxx

• Gold Member
Shooting American Iron.
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2004, 07:11:06 PM »
Nice shots.  What airshow was that?  There is nothing quite like an F16. Still the jet fighter I'd most like to fly.

Looking forward to Ireland's only decent airshow anymore on Sunday over Galway bay. I'll get my Red Arrows fix. 'Ladies and gentlemen, the Red Arrows.' Then deafened by the RAF Harrier and bored by the Coast Guard Rescue helicopter. Time was the RAF didn't display in Ireland and the USAF provided the heavy iron.  F15's, 16's F111's, F4's  Ah those the hot days, the smell of the burger stands and the kerosene fumes. The sunburn :(  It's a heady mix.    Now the USAF barely shows, it hasn't even been announced if there is to be a USAF presence this year. Busy I suppose. Something will turn up, an A10 and F16's last year but very dull displays particularly compared to the Luftwaffe Tornado. The Irish Air Corps used to put up a nice display with their Fouga Magisters but their jets are gone and they only just got new PC9's.  

Going to try to get the Nellis AFB airshow in November. Anyone else thinking of going? The theme is the D-day naturally enough. Bit of a different location from Galway bay.

Offline Torque

• Gold Member
Shooting American Iron.
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2004, 10:12:38 PM »
I used a Canon 10D with a 17-40mm L and a 100-400mm L IS lens and all shots were hand held. The original format is 3000 x 2000 pixels and they run from 2-2.5 mgs per pic compared to these 1000 x 800  resized 100k versions. Most of the pics have had slight cropping to center them, if your email can handle a 2 mg download no probs.

I took aboot 1600 pics and filled a 4G Microdrive had to pour water over the barrel it was gett'n sorta hot. Impressive results from the IS lens in panning mode especially the pics with the burners on as they were hauling ass.

Lots of heavy American Iron at the show or actually it made the airshow, although jets aren't me personal favs their designs do render a certain amount of respect. I went to see the Stang they had it was almost last to fly so figuring the best way to pass the time in between the lens drooping fer a quick boobie shot, jets were the nexted best thing.

This guy has the world by the balls and it's screaming!

Offline SaburoS

• Gold Member
Shooting American Iron.
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2004, 03:53:56 AM »
Torque,
How is your 100-400mmL doing? Any dust collecting on the inside? How is the push-pull zoom? I really came close to buying it but was scared off by the dust collecting jokes. Although not rated as sharp as the 400mm L, there might be a place in my 'arsenal' for that IS lens. What were the EXIF data on your shots? Post processing?
Men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth -- more than ruin -- more even than death.... Thought is subversive and revolutionary, destructive and terrible, thought is merciless to privilege, established institutions, and comfortable habit. ... Bertrand Russell

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
Shooting American Iron.
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2004, 04:59:58 AM »
i cant see the pictures......:confused:

Offline Torque

• Gold Member
Shooting American Iron.
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2004, 09:59:55 PM »
Originally posted by SaburoS
Torque,
How is your 100-400mmL doing? Any dust collecting on the inside? How is the push-pull zoom? I really came close to buying it but was scared off by the dust collecting jokes. Although not rated as sharp as the 400mm L, there might be a place in my 'arsenal' for that IS lens. What were the EXIF data on your shots? Post processing?

Hey Sab,

I returned my second one it had collected a few dust specs after two weeks of abuse, that said the other two have been thru hell and are fine.

Personally i find the push-pull better for tracking and aquiring AF on moving objects, i could lead the shot better and pick my framing quicker. Not bad shots for hand held and panning, not to mention i'm not a steady Freddy.

Typical data for all shots, all pics have had just minor post production, cropping, level balance and a tad sharpening for some.

Program AE
Tv( Shutter Speed )
    1/500
Av( Aperture Value )
Metering Mode
    Evaluative
Exposure Compensation
ISO Speed
Lens
    100.0 - 400.0mm
Focal Length
    285.0mm
Image Size
    3072x2048
Image Quality
    Fine
Flash
    Off
White Balance
    Daylight
AF Mode
    AI Servo AF
Parameters
    Contrast          Normal
    Sharpness         Normal
    Color saturation  Normal
    Color tone        Normal
Color Space
    Adobe RGB

Sorry i had to move the location Nilsen, you can see them here

http://members.rogers.com/torqs/aircraft.htm

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
Shooting American Iron.
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2004, 10:49:32 PM »
Flawless fotos, Torque -- thanks.
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous

Offline SaburoS

• Gold Member
Shooting American Iron.
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2004, 01:19:34 AM »
Originally posted by Torque

Typical data for all shots, all pics have had just minor post production, cropping, level balance and a tad sharpening for some.

Thanks Torque. What kind of sharpening did you do?
Also, can you try some shots using Shutter Priority on prop planes and moving cars/motorcycles (for good prop/wheel blur)? Really curious how IS affects the shot.
LOL this explains why there were a lot more 100-400mm IS L lenses than any other at the PoF Airshow.
Thanks again :)
Men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth -- more than ruin -- more even than death.... Thought is subversive and revolutionary, destructive and terrible, thought is merciless to privilege, established institutions, and comfortable habit. ... Bertrand Russell

Offline Torque

• Gold Member
Shooting American Iron.
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2004, 02:17:46 PM »
Here is an example of how sharp the images came out, straight outta the camera with no post just a severe crop to reduce file size. More CA than a fixed 400 and not as sharp, but the trade off when it comes to framing multiple shots for different perspectives as the object passes by imo is worth it. I could tell by the shutter releases  (or lack of them) from the people with fixed 300s and 400s their working distance was small, when i had the full range from 100-400 to aquire AF and framing while rapping off pics as quick as the buffer could dump to the MD, the looks i got.

Checkout my series on the Talon, although they left alot of shots out of the series you get the idea.

http://www.londonairshow.com/gallery.html

As fer AV and wheel spin, not when the object is fast say 60mph, you'd need a hard corner or hairpin for panning to work well, Shutter was 1/1000 and ISO 200, anything slower the pic was blurred.

Slower objects somewhat better, say 20-30 mph.

But for tracking and aquiring AF on a needle within a stack of needles with a high abstract background to confise the AF the range of the lens is superb.

ISO 400, 1/250, not bad for a F4.5 lens on a heavily overcast day with dim light.

Static objects @400mm the lens is tack sharp, this one is anyhoo. ISO 400

The lens is basically my prime and barely comes off the camera,  can travel light to shows or whatever with no need for a mono or tripod just two Toplader bags. I switch out lenses all the time now in the field while standing up, have you tried the Sensor Swipes yet? They rock!

http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/ccd_cleaning

I'd take a lens from your local store out for a test drive, see for yourself, some are slightly sharper than others.

cheers...

Offline BUG_EAF322

• Gold Member
      • http://bug322.startje.com
Shooting American Iron.
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2004, 04:04:15 PM »
wow!!!

photography really gets my interests lately

Would it come close with a nikon 5700
or do u really need a reflex for that kind of work.
its only till 200mm i believe

"It's not the camera but the photographer"

:D
« Last Edit: July 18, 2004, 04:08:18 PM by BUG_EAF322 »

Offline SaburoS

• Gold Member
Shooting American Iron.
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2004, 05:09:37 AM »
Torque,
Only thing holding me back from the 100-400mm L IS is the potential dust 'problem.' Right now, I'm probably going to sell my non-IS L lenses and get the 70-200mm f/2.8L IS for now. Since I do indoor shooting as well, that lens will be more usable for me. I'll probably end up getting the 100-400mm L IS in the future though as it seems to be the best outdoor solution for airshows (particularly prop planes using shutter priority @1/160th to 1/250th).
It would be interesting to see some samples of cars/motorcycles and prop lanes at 1/125 to 1/250 with and without IS. Yes, it is with the object being near a parallel (non off angle) path during the actual shot that gives best results. All about low percentage of change that determines the potential of sharpness.
Thanks for your input BTW. I really like your work.
:)

Offline hawker238

• Silver Member
Shooting American Iron.
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2004, 09:23:34 AM »
No images??

Offline Torque

• Gold Member
Shooting American Iron.
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2004, 09:31:33 AM »
Yep, it was a shame the only clear line of sight i had at the Indy was on an severe angle. Thx fer the tip on wheel spin etc... (cruising the web now for local Rallies and Bike races :aok) and i will give it a go but prop planes are rare in these parts. I always try and run thru a series of manual settings every shoot to see what comes about and being a newbtard i'll just need more time in to better understand my gear's capabilities.

I hear you aboot the dust and and it kept me from buying the lens as well for a few months. After browsing at FM and DP and viewing the results from others and my experience with the Nikkor 200mm F 2.8 and teleconverter i decided that the 100-400 IS would suit my needs better, although the 2.8 is a sweet ap to have.

But speaking aboot dust! When i first got my Nikon gear i was scared chitless about swapping lenses out, my place is pretty dusty with a dog and all. No matter what i did or how quickly the swap was eventually dust kept getting on to the mirror and low pass filter.

Now i just Swipe it. :D

Before Swipe @ F22.

A minute later factory fresh.:D

How is this fer wheel spin. :aok

Bug sadly no, but if you want to see what you can get with a 5700 here are some galleries.

http://members.rogers.com/ereid/index1.html

http://members.rogers.com/bruggy/index1.htm

http://members.rogers.com/bruggy/index.htm

http://members.rogers.com/bruggy/index1.html