Author Topic: Range ICON = handicapped gameplay & spray  (Read 3604 times)

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Range ICON = handicapped gameplay & spray
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2000, 10:55:00 AM »

Originally posted by Sorrow[S=A]:
Keep range indicators over 1 thousand yards, under that your IN RANGE and get rid of them....

This is more to my thinking.

You shouldn't need ANY range markers if you're in gun range; it should be obvious.

OTOH, out where the planes become dots when they would not be dots in RL...but out of gun range...then you need some artificial help.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Minotaur

• Copper Member
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2000, 11:34:00 AM »
Half the time I can't tell if the con is coming or going.  This includes ranges inside d999.

Don't know if the game is playable for me without range Icons.

------------------
Mino
The Wrecking Crew

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2000, 09:40:00 PM »
Hangtime is this what you were looking for?
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline Hristo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2000, 01:07:00 AM »
Do not try to change the MA. Better focus on iconless HA. The people would choose.

Offline Heater

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2000, 02:58:00 AM »
Go one step future and just use the county Icon no plane type no range!

------------------
!!! Heater !!!

Shit Happens All The Time

"If you have any trouble sounding condescending, find a Unix user to show you how it's done."

[This message has been edited by Heater (edited 05-16-2000).]
HiTech is a DWEEB-PUTZ!
I have multiple personalities and none of them like you !!!

Offline LLv34_Camouflage

• Gold Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2000, 03:55:00 AM »
I would like to see the H2H have all sorts of icon choices.  There we could experiment as much as we'd like.

And when the Scenario tools come, hopefully the scenario organizers will have the means to tweak the icons in the SEA.

Everything is worth a try - but not necessarily in the MA.  

Camo

------------------
Camouflage
XO, Lentolaivue 34
 www.muodos.fi/LLv34

"The really good pilots use their superior judgement to keep them out of situations
where they might be required to demonstrate their superior skill."
CO, Lentolaivue 34
Brewster's in AH!
"How about the power to kill a Yak from 200 yards away - with mind bullets!"

Offline Sparks

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2000, 07:59:00 AM »

Plane icon is necessary to distinguish enemies at Main Arena.
I'm for a freind or foe identifier Icon only and visible only outside 3K

This is more to my thinking.

You shouldn't need ANY range markers if you're in gun range; it should be obvious.

If someones closer than 3k then surely you should be doing something about it anyway i.e. engaging, and so the only other information you need after that is they fill the sight isn't it ?? Or am I being over simplistic ??

(note: this is not a complaint about "ICONs" used for identification)
please note this is not a discusion related to identification part of the icon... only the range info
Alright I know you don't want to include it Citabria But (and always remeber that everything before a but is B******t )
I don't even think Plane type should be shown - too many fights are decided at long range because you know what the plane is.

Opinion of a Newbie waiting to get slapped down

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2000, 08:53:00 AM »
 Heater beat me to it. No plane type and no range, just the country icon for sure!

-Westy

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2000, 11:30:00 AM »
This icon discussion has gone on for years. I'm not a big supporter of icons as presented in the major online ACM sims.

Here's my thoughts from a post on the same subject in the Gameplay topic; I still feel this way.

Here's a few points to ponder. These thoughts are based on a non-historical arena, where all sides fly all planes. Strict Historical could/should be different.

Ranges would have to be hashed out but that's an area that affords easy experimentaion once the overall system is set.

1. At long range, a plane <whether friend or foe, fighter or bomber> should just be an unknown dot.

2. As range closes, one would be able to distinguish a dot as a bomber earlier than a fighter. Therefore, some sort of "buff" ID should show at a range that would still be a dot for a fighter. At this range you couldn't tell friend from foe.

This means a dot could be either a long range plane of either type or a closer fighter that is not yet distinguishable. You just couldn't tell.

3. As range further decreased, a fighter ID should show. You should also now be able to tell, in some way, friend from foe, perhaps just a red dot at nose, tail and wingtips. This assumes that we would <in Real Life> be distinguishing plane type. Again, this would be a different range for a bomber than a fighter.

4. Now, after IFF range, add distance information. Range info should perhaps only be shown in 1k or .5k increments to avoid the rapidly running counters. I would not show range beyond a certain distance <a yet to be determined "threat" range> and I would remove it as the aircraft comes to "guns range." Perhaps cut out range info inside of 1k or .5k at minimum. You need IFF here, but you don't need range when you're ready to shoot. That should be part of pilot skills and judgement.

5. I would have no aircraft type ID available at ranges that allow you to distinugish that info from the graphics. (determined for the lowest resolution avail). I would allow some simple "type" info at ranges where you could see it in real life.

Different colored dots, arrows, numbers...any of these could be used to provide this type of information while minimizing and shrinking the huge icons we now have.

Just some thoughts. I'm sure everyone has some ideas and I'd love to read them. I hope we can get a meaningful discussion going and I also hope we can talk HTC into experimenting in the SEA with "alternative Icon lifestyles".
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline -aper-

• Nickel Member
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2000, 12:36:00 PM »
The problem is in the current view system that is absolute  

We need the new view system where we can see planes but not dots.
EAW is one of the good examples:

[img]
Do they need icons?