Author Topic: Fishing jobs  (Read 216 times)

Offline SunTracker

• Silver Member
Fishing jobs
« on: August 15, 2004, 04:56:08 PM »
Thinking of moving to Florida for college next year.  I have about 40 credit hours towards a biology degree.  Thought it would be cool to work on a shrimping/fishing vessel during the summer.

Can anyone tell me anything about the fishing industry, and whether or not they need seasonal help?

Offline anonymous

• Silver Member
Re: Fishing jobs
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2004, 12:02:19 AM »
Originally posted by SunTracker
Thinking of moving to Florida for college next year.  I have about 40 credit hours towards a biology degree.  Thought it would be cool to work on a shrimping/fishing vessel during the summer.

Can anyone tell me anything about the fishing industry, and whether or not they need seasonal help?

dont have a contact number right now but check alaska they are summer seasonal i have a buddy who runs a fishing boat up there during summer. very hard work but good pay for the time you put in. youll want to learn some basic seamanship if you dont know it already before you go looking for this kind of job. if its for next summer i could get you a number when he gets back hes up there running his boat right now.

Offline SunTracker

• Silver Member
Fishing jobs
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2004, 12:46:58 AM »
Interesting.  Just out of curiosity, how much could a person expect to make during a summer of fishing?  Also, is the type of fishing your buddy does as dangerous as crab fishing?

Offline XtrmeJ

• Gold Member
Fishing jobs
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2004, 01:03:03 AM »
A friend of mine also goes fishing in Alaska every summer. The summer before last they had a goon 2 month run and he came back with loads of cash. It's a good job, his uncle does it for a living. Living on a boat for 1-2 month must be weird, but with the kind of cash he got, I'd do it too.

Offline SunTracker

• Silver Member
Fishing jobs
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2004, 01:28:21 AM »
I think the newby crab fishermen make about 12,000 a season.

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
Fishing jobs
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2004, 06:16:49 AM »
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!