Author Topic: Early War Planeset Furball Island  (Read 374 times)

Offline MOSQ

• Silver Member
Early War Planeset Furball Island
« on: August 23, 2004, 11:48:52 AM »
The "first" Ozkansas furball island had too many planes on it, causing problems. So HTC implemented only early war planes could take off on the island. That turned out to be a great idea. I loved flying on furball island with the early war planeset. I flew the 109F had some of the most fun of my AH career.

The only bad feature was when an enemy CV would show up with it's superior planes and the furball island base defenders only had JU-88s for bombers to fight back with.

The "new" AHII Ozkansas map no longer has that feature, I'd like to see it back.

It would be great to have an early war planeset on furball "islands" or center areas on most of the 512 maps.

Offline Edbert

• Gold Member
      • http://www.edbert.net
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2004, 01:09:01 PM »
Agreed, perhaps it is possible to get the carriers to have their plansets altered when they get within 1.5-2.0 sectors of the island too. You know, nothing but F4F and A6M2s. Maybe the Seafire but no Corsairs and Hellcats.

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2004, 02:29:53 PM »
If you're going to go that far, why not just have a rolling plane set in the MA?

As much as I would like it, people are whining up a storm over the new ENY, this would not be well received (even tho we had it in the past).
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline DipStick

• Gold Member
      • http://www.theblueknights.com
Re: Early War Planeset Furball Island
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2004, 05:05:10 PM »
Originally posted by MOSQ
I loved flying on furball island with the early war planeset.

The "new" AHII Ozkansas map no longer has that feature, I'd like to see it back.

It would be great to have an early war planeset on furball "islands" or center areas on most of the 512 maps.

Agreed.

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2004, 06:44:41 PM »
Rolling plane set is much more restrictive.  It presumably applies to an entire arena.  

In contrast, the furball island proposal being discussed above only restricts that particular portion of the map.  Nothing keeps you from flying something in from other islands.  However, it would make it more likely that you would see contemporary early-war planes over the island.

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2004, 09:30:12 PM »
I loved this idea so much.  I upped SBD's constantly and tried to harass panzers and tigers.  Then I'd dodge early 109's and stuff.  It was one of the best times I ever spent in AH.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline ALF

• Silver Member
      • http://www.mikethinks.com
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2004, 11:01:29 PM »
Im hoping that TOD will satisfy some of this.

Offline MOSQ

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2004, 11:48:33 PM »
Everyone, thanks for the replies.

Delirium : I don't recall hardly any complaints about the early war planeset on furball island. After all it is a very small piece of land on the giant Ozkansas map. All I remember was praise for it. And a rolling planeset would be much more restrictive over the whole map than just one island.

It might make the bitter ENY disabling better for us too. At least if your stuck being forced to fly a high ENY value plane against LA-7s and P-51's, there will be one refuge on the map where you can be assured of usually only meeting other early war planes.

ALF: I think TOD is at least a year away, maybe two. This is something HTC can do overnight, I'm sure they still have the code from the first time on Ozkansas.

Online rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2004, 08:01:31 PM »
Or.  you could block cv's from getting  close to those areas..  

I would love to see this and/ with a ground war area.   Why do we need such a huge map of all the same?  There is all kinds of room for a regular MA area and some specialized spots.

Offline Stone

• Nickel Member
Re: Early War Planeset Furball Island
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2004, 12:58:14 AM »
Originally posted by MOSQ
The "first" Ozkansas furball island had too many planes on it, causing problems. So HTC implemented only early war planes could take off on the island. That turned out to be a great idea. I loved flying on furball island with the early war planeset. I flew the 109F had some of the most fun of my AH career.

The only bad feature was when an enemy CV would show up with it's superior planes and the furball island base defenders only had JU-88s for bombers to fight back with.

That sounds fun, what a great idea :aok

Offline MOSQ

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2004, 10:47:46 AM »
rabbidrabbit,

Furball Island on OzKansas is a great ground war area with the early war plane set. Since the planes are Spit I & Vs; 109 E & F, Hurri I & II, F4F, JU-88, ect, there are no real GV killers that are carrying 2x1000 lbs bombs and 8 rockets. The early war planes are limited in their bomb capacity, and besides, you don't want to be flying around with bombs on your plane on Furball anyway. What you will see are a lot of JU-88 formations being used to bomb bases and occassionally dive bombing GVs.  But for the most part, the GVs are engaged fully with other GVs.

The result is there is a raging ground war trying to capture and defend the bases, while a raging air war goes on overhead.

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2004, 11:24:59 AM »
we had an early war furball island?  where the #)(*#)$(* was I?  
Any place where I can up a F4F-4 and actually have a chance to fight someone that isn't 200mph faster than me is a good thing. :)
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2004, 11:34:11 AM »
*wink wink*  Sbd is probably the best plane on the island.  It turns rather well, it has 2x100 and 1x1000  It has 1x50 and 2x30's.  I love the thing and would fly it as often as possible even out of early war plane sets.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"