Author Topic: Map idea. Yes, No Maybe, Trash it?  (Read 535 times)

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
Map idea. Yes, No Maybe, Trash it?
« on: October 03, 2004, 09:56:12 AM »
I have been mauling over a map idea.
  It seems that on our maps , at the start of gamepaly on any particular map, we have 3 fronts which condense gameplay into particular areas and leave most country bases unusable until one or two teams loses a large number of bases.
  Instead of having all of the country`s bases divided up in 3 seperate sections of the map at the start, why not have pockets of bases consisting of 10 to 20 fields each dispersed across the entire map with zone bases in each. Then possibly have a larger section of the map for each country as "home turf" or whatever you wish to call it. In the larger sections would reside HQ, etc.
  It seems this would this would promote a little diversity and might possibly help eliminate some of the hord factor.
  On most of the current maps there is a distinct disadvantage to the team or country that draws a particular section of a map upon reset. Trinity it is the country who draws the SW section.  On  Mindy it is the NW section, etc.
 Whatcha think?
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline SCDR

• Copper Member
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2004, 10:23:31 AM »
Sounds good to me, but who am I?:D
Oh if you make a new map, how about making sure all the ports
have 1 to 2 shore batteries. On Trinity, P203 is a prime example,
a port on an island WITHOUT any SBs.

SCDR

Offline DipStick

• Gold Member
      • http://www.theblueknights.com
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2004, 10:31:29 AM »
The problem I see with it is that it would be similar to Pizza. If their are too many fronts all over the map it would simply become a milkrunner map. While the idea sounds good on paper, you would end up with small hordes milkrunning here and there with no good fights anywhere. Not good for promoting fights or gameplay in general.  My $.02
« Last Edit: October 03, 2004, 10:34:40 AM by DipStick »

Offline Grimm

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2004, 11:02:16 AM »
Agree with Dipstick,

The begining of Pizza is often just a big milkrun party trying to consolidate a chunk of the map.  

Its good to keep thinking of things that might improve play.  

Heres an Idea Im thinkin of as I type.    

How about build a map with the HQs all at the far points of a triangle.    Next to the HQs place a large field (about 1/4 sector away)  

All the Fields with a couple sectors of HQ all fields are Large fields, also the strat targets are placed in as close as practical that Large field area.

For the Next few sectors place only medium fields.  also put what ever strat targets that didnt fit near the large feilds in.

Toward the Center boarders and fronts of the map,  place only small airfields.  

No Idea where best to place GV bases or Ports.  

Something like might encourage a more fuild front,  but would promote a country to dig in as they get pushed back.    Also HQ Runs would also need to hit the nearby airfield to prevent easy resupply.  

That probably has a ton of wholes in it, but I thought Id try to add something constuctive rather than just disagree.

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2004, 11:30:52 AM »
Although Pizza has fields in a few different areas,i.e. islands , etc., on  a whole the map is still just divided into 3 sections. What i am referring to is placing pockets of 10 to 20 fields from ALL countries dispersed across the ENTIRE map. In other words bases from all countries distributed in pockets over the map instead of just divided into 3 sectors. You could look at it from a mid-war stand point. (Before it starts.... I know. this is not war. get over it. )
  I would tend to think this would promote good fights in given areas while improving choice and quality of gameplay in general.
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2004, 11:44:27 AM »
Originally posted by DipStick
The problem I see with it is that it would be similar to Pizza. If their are too many fronts all over the map it would simply become a milkrunner map. While the idea sounds good on paper, you would end up with small hordes milkrunning here and there with no good fights anywhere. Not good for promoting fights or gameplay in general.  My $.02

Its no secret I love the pizza map but what you state is in my opinion ist major flaw.
Pizza would be a far far better and far more interesting map if each country started owning all of its own land mass instead of with this giant noodle shape it normally starts with.
 Anyone who has zoomed out on the map knows what Im talking about.
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline 68DevilM

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2004, 12:13:12 PM »
Originally posted by DipStick

i would like to see mabey more of a clearly defind front line bases,

you know the eastern fronts, and western fronts.  hell yes wheres the world map?

add pacific front lines and it could be fun, seperate plane types by fronts, so you probably couldnt use lf planes in the pacific and you couldnt use nik1's on the eastern.

ohh and dont forget about the africa corps:D

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2004, 03:02:37 PM »
Originally posted by Grimm

No Idea where best to place GV bases or Ports.  

Perfect place for the GV bases........

OFF the map.........

:lol

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2004, 03:42:48 PM »
File 13. No input from the only place that counts.