Author Topic: MAP question....  (Read 626 times)

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
MAP question....
« on: October 04, 2004, 04:05:52 PM »
on a 512 x 512 BMP (to make a 512 x 512 elevation map) how many pixels apart are the gridlines of a sector?

after talking to NB at the con im going to give it a shot (hopefully with some help from you all LOL)

also am i going about this wrong? can i use a 1024 x 1024 to make a more detailed elevation grayscale for a 512 map?

BTW the reason i am asking is i have a detailed layout im working for, and want to keep the terrain kind of aligned by certain sectors.

TY in advance

OOPS wrong forum... should terrain editor
I don't know what to put here yet.

Offline zmeg

• Silver Member
MAP question....
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2004, 04:30:10 PM »
All elevation maps must be 1024 x 1024 greyscale. One sector is 50 pixels.

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
MAP question....
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2004, 05:17:53 PM »
thank you very much sir

BTW white (255,255,255) is mountain tops 30,000 feet correct?

Offline Dux

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
MAP question....
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2004, 05:28:26 PM »
Make your bitmap range from pure black to pure white. Black will be sea level, white will be whatever value you plug in when you import (it will ask).

Aren't 30k mountains a little... ummm... excessive? hehe, whatever... it's your map, have fun. :)

Incidentally, you can re-import that elevation bitmap at any time, in case you want to change it later. Just check for field flatness and water-not-0 after.
Rogue Squadron, CO
5th AF, FSO Squadron, Member

We all have a blind date with Destiny... and it looks like she's ordered the lobster.

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
MAP question....
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2004, 06:12:58 PM »
Originally posted by Dux
Make your bitmap range from pure black to pure white. Black will be sea level, white will be whatever value you plug in when you import (it will ask).

Aren't 30k mountains a little... ummm... excessive? hehe, whatever... it's your map, have fun. :)

Incidentally, you can re-import that elevation bitmap at any time, in case you want to change it later. Just check for field flatness and water-not-0 after.
AHH ty thought that height was a standard.

i have never done this before, and will be taking this to the terrain forum..

TY