Author Topic: Host Connection Lost  (Read 290 times)

Offline Heretic

• Nickel Member
Host Connection Lost
« on: October 13, 2004, 05:24:16 PM »
How many times will be discoed in one damn day!!!!  Anyone wanna put a bet on?     I can't connect to save my ass.     I lose UDP then switch to TCP  or ICP or whatever the hell it is.   Its getting very annoying.    Gonna have to call HT in the AM and see what the problem is.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Host Connection Lost
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2004, 05:46:26 PM »
First, the normal stuff.

1) Make sure you have anti-virus disabled.
2) If you are behind a router, power cycle it.
3) Make sure there are no errant programs running (a good indicator of bad spyware/malware is the "rundll32.exe" process).

It could always be an Internet related problem that will cure itself.  Look in the 'Host Status' in the game and see what the "Variance" looks like.  It should be smooth after a minute or so in the game.  Sawtooth patterns are, typically, indicative of something running in the background.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline United

• Gold Member
      • http://squadronspotlight.netfirms.com
Host Connection Lost
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2004, 06:16:02 PM »
rundll32.exe is a bad process?  It came running on my PC out of the box?  Would you please explain what it does, and if it is bad, how to remove it?

Offline 68DevilM

• Gold Member
Host Connection Lost
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2004, 08:48:33 PM »
Originally posted by United
rundll32.exe is a bad process?  It came running on my PC out of the box?  Would you please explain what it does, and if it is bad, how to remove it?

i believe that is your printer spooler, diable it in your contol panel/aministraitor/services.

you only need it when printing stuff

heres a good site

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Host Connection Lost
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2004, 09:23:26 PM »
In normal circumstances that process should die when the executing program terminates.

However, there are some programs that do not clean up well and NVidia's control ICON, in the systray, also keeps it alive.

Most of the time, the rundll32.exe program is running some spyware/malware DLL file.

If you have done a decent job of cleaning up unneccessary programs from running in the background, then this process will not appear.  Generally speaking, the appearance of the 'rundll32.exe' file in your process list could be an indicator of spyware/malware running on your computer.  It is not always the case, but it is a good indicator.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2004, 09:25:54 PM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com