Author Topic: Rockets?  (Read 1570 times)

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
Rockets?
« on: March 14, 2000, 09:24:00 AM »
  Anyone having much success with them or have any anecdotes they care to share in thier use?  I've tried and tried but I must be missing something in using them. Range probably and relase angle. But, I've yet to actually hit or see anything damaged by them. when I've fired them off on a base attack.
  I'm really curious if they would destroy an aircraft, such as at the spawn point or taking off from a field too.
 Anyone have some guidelines to share that might, could, hopefully would increase my likely hood of being a good "jabo" driver and not just a fine ack-ack magnet?

-Westy

Offline indian

• Copper Member
Rockets?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2000, 09:34:00 AM »
Shoot them at a bomber might scare the hell out of them.

------------------
Tommy (INDIAN) Toon
  1st Aces High Trainer Crew
Home of The Allied Fighter Wing A.F.W.
A.F.W. Homepage

Offline Duckwing6

• Copper Member
      • http://www.pink.at
Rockets?
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2000, 09:53:00 AM »
Westy i've heared from one of my Squaddies (SCGmanMP) that he can kill ack when he launches the whole stack in salvo from 90° up .. (think of rocket driven bomb  ) i have not tried that yet tho..

------------------

Phillip "Duckwing6" Artweger
Flight Officer "E" Flight
Skeleton Crew

Offline CavemanJ

• Silver Member
Rockets?
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2000, 10:29:00 AM »
I've successfully killed ack with them before.  Diving straight down in a 90degree dive.  This way range dinnae really matter because they'll fall til they hit the ground.

Otherwise range is very important.  Figure about 800-1000yds max for decent accuracy.  I've got a little spot I made on the bottom of me sight for an aiming point and I use about a 20-30degree dive angle for attacks after the ack is down.

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
Rockets?
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2000, 10:51:00 AM »
Testing in TA they destroy a bomber quite spectacularly.  The only problem is to do that the bomber has to go slow and straight, and not fire, letting you get about 100 yds behind so you can line up and don't miss.  Looked purty though!  

Fatty

Offline Minotaur

• Copper Member
Rockets?
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2000, 03:02:00 PM »
Four rockets take down most buildings.

------------------
Mino
The Wrecking Crew

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
Rockets?
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2000, 03:08:00 PM »
Well.   This is all really good material and it reinforces that what I need to do is practice, practice and even practice even more still. Thanks folks for the replies!

-Westy

Offline Hristo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Rockets?
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2000, 10:46:00 PM »
Haven't tried them for a long time, but WGr 21 were pretty useless in earlier versions.

Something about missing upward angle, as well as self destruct after some flight time were the issues then.

funked

Rockets?
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2000, 11:01:00 PM »
You'd think an 8-1/2 inch mortar shell (WGr 21) would have a big effect on a bomber when you score a near miss.  Certainly the guys that used them in real life thought so.  But I can't get them to do anything unless I directly hit the bomber.

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
Rockets?
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2000, 07:20:00 AM »
I've not even gotten to try those rockets Hristo. I have been very curious if they would be usable. I've heard (can't remember who) that they have been used successfully.

Last night I tried but I was never able to take out the ack with rockets before it took out me.
 Going to have to practice more. Tanks and Half tracks won't be as deadly as the ack-ack here but they'll still be armed to kill - I hope.

-Westy

Offline Rendar

• Copper Member
Rockets?
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2000, 11:30:00 AM »
Use the Force, Westy!  
Just couldn't resist.

------------------
mp-ten
Lt. J.G. VF-100 "The Haze"