Author Topic: Reticle Ranging Gunsight  (Read 1610 times)

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
Reticle Ranging Gunsight
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2000, 06:01:00 PM »
You are correct F4UDOA, the P51 has the largest viewable sight in the game.  While aircraft like the 109, and zeke have the smallest.  All even using the same default sight.  With such adjustable head positions in these aircraft I doubt its the distance from the sight that causes this.
Perhaps Pyro can drag himself away from 1.05 just long enough to comment.
Someone start a new thread...

AKSKurj

Offline MiG Eater

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.avphoto.com
Reticle Ranging Gunsight
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2000, 10:33:00 PM »
Originally posted by F4UDOA:

Am I the only one who see's this? Maybe it's my software?? Somebody else measure their gunsight please.
QUOTE]

Its not you F4UD, its the way that gunsight image is presented in AH.  Like Andy says, a ranging gunsight works - but that is in a real reflector gunsight.  No matter how close your head is to the sight head/reflector unit, a projected 100 mil ring image, for instance, will be 100 feet wide at 1000 feet. (A real example would be the Mk 8 gunsight which features a fixed sight image with a 100 mil outer ring.  Mk 8's were pretty much the standard sight on US aircraft before and even after the gyro sights came along in 1943.  The Mk 8's are still used in many aircraft to this day.)

That is not the case in AH.  The image we see is constantly variable in size as your "head" moves closer or further away.  Its certainly possible to calibrate a precise distance and subsequent sight size by using the view keys and creating custom sights for each airplane.  

My guess for the difference in the F4U and P-51 sight sizes in AH:  The F4's sight head was on top of the glare shield (projecting onto the armored glass/windscreen) and as such, further away from your "head" than the P-51's sight.  The Mustang's sight was mounted well aft of the instrument panel and thereby much closer to your head.  The AH sight acts as if it is focused right on the combiner glass.  Its almost like we are seeing the sight painted on the combiner.  Thats why it moves away from the center of fire as you move your head up and down or side to side. A real sight image is focused far in front of the airplane which for all practical purposes is infinity.  The image will not move away from the aim point but disapears as your eye reaches the edges of the allowable viewing angle.

Hope that helps,

MiG

[This message has been edited by MiG Eater (edited 12-26-2000).]