Author Topic: Will George clean up his cabinet?  (Read 579 times)

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Will George clean up his cabinet?
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2004, 07:57:09 PM »

I don't know, but his end tables need a good waxing....

Seriously, look for Rudy to get an appointment, possibly Powell's position. Likewise, I would not be surprised to see Gen. Tommy Franks replace Rumsfeld.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2004, 08:02:40 PM »
I could definately live with Gen. Tommy Franks in place of Rumsfeld.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2004, 08:09:05 PM »
Originally posted by Staga

Do you really think GWB would give that guy a job?

NOPE, but I served under the man and I respect him.  He was the centcom commander for a LONG time and knows the middleeast.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Re: Will George clean up his cabinet?
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2004, 08:13:11 PM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort
PLEASE for the love of COD, can ASSCROFT!

I though that losing his Senate seat, essentially to a dead guy, was a sure sign from God that he needed a new line of work.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2004, 08:33:47 PM »
Charon...been meaning to ask you this for a while...who IS that in your avatar?

MZ has it Curval. Great movie, great American punker look at the Reagan years through the joys of radiation :) A cult classic, and one of my top 10 movies. Before I end the hijack MZ, when I found the page with the image for the Avatar, there was a banner ad showing a plate of shrimp on the top :)

Charon

Offline Stang

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2004, 09:20:59 PM »
The buzz I've heard is that Ashcroft may resign very soon.  We can hope.

Offline bigsky

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2004, 11:58:41 PM »
Originally posted by Karnak
I could definately live with Gen. Tommy Franks in place of Rumsfeld.

no, that would be like washington quiting 1 day after the battle of trenton and saying that the war is over i have won and retiring to his esate in france. franks quit because he didnt want to be left holding the bag. but i agree ronald dumsfeld needed to be gone a long time ago before he could totaly **** up the war in iraq. the fact is bush was elected in 2000 because gore was a two faced lier and he was was the lesser of two evils. he was not supposed to touch the important switches or bottons until somebody competant came along. i (and my friends) thought it funny that some who post on this board thought i was a lefty for opposing the outright invasion of iraq. somebody needs to write a book call "nation building for dummys" so bush could read it.
"I am moist like bacon"

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2004, 12:05:16 AM »
Originally posted by Raubvogel
Asscraft out, Giuliani in.

Would like to see Tom Ridge gone too
Actually I thought all along Giuliani shoulda been made head of Homeland security. That pick woulda made sence

Wouldnt at all be surprised if Giuliani Was the pick to run for the Reps in 08
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2004, 12:15:50 AM »
Just a note about the Ashcroft/Carnahan race.

On Oct 13, 2000, the race was polled as a dead heat, with each polling at 40%. It was a very "negative" race on both sides.

Carnahan certainly grabbed the headlines from Ashcroft on Oct 16, 2000 by dying in the plane crash while campaigning.

The nation was shocked when Carnahan, his son, and a campaign aide were killed in a plane crash Oct. 16. Acting Missouri Governor Roger Wilson said he would appoint Jean Carnahan to the seat if her late husband wins. While Mrs. Carnahan did not actively campaign for the seat, she said that she would accept the appointment and filmed a campaign commercial.

They went right to the widow as the replacement candidate. The people of Missouri knew they were voting for the widow.

And he effectively got a second opponent when Carnahan's widow, Jean, said Monday she would accept appointment to the Senate if her late husband wins Nov. 7.

So Ashcroft must find a way to politick delicately against an esteemed widow insulated from the usual volleys of campaigning.

``I'm campaigning for the United States Senate,'' Ashcroft said Monday during an appearance in Kansas City. ``I don't want to quibble about that, but I'm not campaigning against anyone.'' In the weeks since the 66-year-old Carnahan's death Oct. 16 in a plane crash, Ashcroft has had a third opponent, as well, says one analyst.

``Ashcroft's third opponent is the news media, which is providing so much coverage to the Mel Carnahan-Jean Carnahan story,'' said Rick Hardy, a political scientist at the University of Missouri at Columbia. ``John Ashcroft is in a political straitjacket.''

Mel Carnahan's name remains before voters because he died after a deadline for revising Missouri's ballot...

....Ashcroft suspended all campaigning for eight days after Carnahan's death and conceded Monday that the timeout hurt his campaign with one week remaining before votes are cast.

Polls bear that out. For months, Carnahan and Ashcroft had been in a statistical tie. But Carnahan in death has gained a slight edge when poll participants are told of the plan to appoint his widow.

Ashcroft did indeed get beat by a "dead guy". But that flip "Jay Leno" comment really doesn't tell the story. Ashcroft might well have lost the race had Carnahan lived. He really had no chance when Carnahan made the ultimate sacrifice. The media Carnahan veneration and the sympathy for the widow beat Ashcroft, not Mel Carnahan the politician.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!