Author Topic: Ki-84  (Read 348 times)

Offline SavedSaint

• Copper Member
Ki-84
« on: December 03, 2004, 03:29:52 PM »
What have you guys found out about this plane.

So far i would rate it so in the following areas.

turn: above average

acceleration:below average

climb:excellent

dive:average

compression:bad

top speed:below average

worst, bad, below average, average, above average, excellent, best

if i am missing an attribute please let me know.
also include any good tactics, maneuvers, or stories.

I am trying to get good in this plane, and would value any help along the way:aok

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
Ki-84
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2004, 03:47:23 PM »
Not that I want any more Ki84 dweebs in the air, but the trick to flying it, especially at high speed is to not have combat trim on.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline DipStick

• Gold Member
      • http://www.theblueknights.com
Ki-84
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2004, 04:01:10 PM »

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
Ki-84
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2004, 05:08:50 PM »
I'd rate it this way:

* turn: second to only the A6M and the Hurricane. Above, or at least par with the Seafire. Best single engine fighter in stability during extreme limits of turns.  

*acceleration: average. Slightly faster than the Spit5, slightly slower than the Spit9, according to Mister Fork's testings.

*climb: excellent

*dive: good

*compression: bad. However neutral elevator trim negates the compression problem.

*top speed: average

*roll: above average, easy rolls at most speed ranges

If this plane would have a better deck speed and acceleration, it would be THE fighter plane in MA.

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
Ki-84
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2004, 06:09:49 PM »
* turn: second to only the A6M and the Hurricane. Above, or at least par with the Seafire. Best single engine fighter in stability during extreme limits of turns.

The other night I turned with a Hurricane for quite some time before he finally started to gain in the turn. I'm guessing that about the time I was able to drop my combat flaps that he dumped his flaps as well. Once he dropped his flaps he started to outturn me (it was very noticeable). At that point I broke off, and extended into a slow climb.
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
Ki-84
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2004, 06:57:59 PM »
In my experience, the Ki-84 will almost (not quite) turn with a Spit 5, handily out turning the Niki and Spit 9.  However, since most people flying the Spits in the Ma never really learn how to fly it well, you can usually kill them pretty easily in the Ki-84.  

I will say that I don't think the Ki-84 is going to be all that popular in the Ma.  It just isn't fast enough to avoid getting ganged, and the firepower isn't heavy enough to kill the gangers quickly enough to keep the numbers manageable.  

1v1 it is an outstanding plane, our MA is made for planes that are outstanding 5 or 6 on 1 though.

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
Ki-84
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2004, 09:04:09 PM »
Gotta get the fight slow to outturn a Niki or Spit9 Urchin. At speeds above 200 knots turn rates are very close imo. At higher speeds the Niki or Spit9 will outturn a Ki-84.
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline SavedSaint

• Copper Member
Ki-84
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2004, 09:10:48 PM »
good point elfie..

today i told myslef i was going to fly the ki84 and no other plane.

And so i did.

the only problems i ran into was a decked out fight with a la7

if i chased he would extend.
if i tried to turn with him.. he seemed to equal with me till my flaps where down.. but by that time he would just fly out..

i found the double imm a very easy manuever to use.

a suckered a few planes into it and got kills..
but for the most part of the day i got creamed by high flying  planes that would extend.. like p38