Author Topic: Cassette Tape to MP3  (Read 236 times)

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
Cassette Tape to MP3
« on: December 01, 2004, 10:50:02 PM »
How?

I am manager/rhythm guitar for our band, not to mention sound guy, technical guy, PR guy and everything-guy except singer.

I have real high quality tape recorder that makes great tapes of live shows and rehersals but I have no clue how to make the tape digital to turn it into an mp3 so I can make it a CD.

What sort of equipment, software or anything else would be required?  costs?  anyone wanna help a brotha out :)

Help!

Offline RTSigma

• Silver Member
Cassette Tape to MP3
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2004, 10:54:45 PM »
Hmmmm, I'm pretty sure you can google it, but I figure you'd have to find some quality equipment if you want to maintain sound quality at HIGH.

I recommend starting in the digital age of recording though.

Sigma of VF-17 JOLLY ROGERS

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
Cassette Tape to MP3
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2004, 10:56:48 PM »
Hook a mic up to your sound card, play the tape back through your stereo and mic it. Get yer relatives to stand nearby and have them clap and cheer in-between songs. Fade out the last song by slowly turning the volume knob down, then PRINT IT - YER GOLDEN!

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
Cassette Tape to MP3
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2004, 11:25:12 PM »
Golfer, you don't need to convert the tape into an mp3....in fact you don't want to do that.

you probably need an RCA to stereo 1/8th inch cable ( for consumer sound cards) to connect your tape deck to your computer. Then you can record the tape output onto your computer as a .wav file, using Windows sound recorder ( not great, but will do the job) or buy an audio recording software.

After you have the .wav file, you can burn it to a CD.

I don't know how much experience you have with audio on  computers, but you can email me if you need help.

Offline Seraphim

• Nickel Member
Cassette Tape to MP3
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2004, 12:41:14 AM »
Nuke's got it right, however, if ya want better quality, you'll need a good sound card. Some high end cards have RCA jacks  in, most have 1/4" or 1/8" mic jack. either way, a good program to use is soundforge or something similar, so you can cut the song to start and end exactly where you want it. As far as cost, my creativeblaster was about 200 (for basic stuff), but I also have an Echo Layla for multi-input  hard disk recording, which is around $600 nowadays.....Echo has a few others that are more expensive, but are great for the band thing; they are also rackmountable & come with a 'mixer' looking software.

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/moviewavs.cgi?Bandits=danger.wav
Cassette Tape to MP3
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2004, 01:23:19 AM »
like nuke said you can plug it right in.  if you don't have the RCA's you can get a double-male headphone/mic cord and plug it straight in.

my audigy 1 card (I think they go for about $60 now) has connections for Mic's, phones, RCA, SPDIF, MIDI, optical, as well as your speaker jacks.

my neighbor plays guitar and was checking the card out when I got it.  he plugged in to the front of the tower and played right into a wav file.   the audigy effects even came with the pedal effects so he could add them in later, or as he played (simulated.  they are digital and don't sound exactly the same as the real pedals).  he also found it handy to test the effects of different pedals before he went and bought the real ones.

Offline takeda

• Nickel Member
Cassette Tape to MP3
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2004, 03:59:31 AM »

Offline 1K0N

• Nickel Member
Cassette Tape to MP3
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2004, 08:01:37 AM »
Originally posted by takeda
Pricey but practical:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/drives/6908/

I got to have one of those!!!!

That is cool...

Offline opus

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
Cassette Tape to MP3
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2004, 08:45:03 AM »
You can buy a a portable 8 track digital (hard drive) recorder for about 500 bucks these days. I really see no sense in going analog to digital if you dont have to.

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
Cassette Tape to MP3
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2004, 09:15:55 AM »
Originally posted by takeda
Pricey but practical:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/drives/6908/
dude that is sweet.
I don't know what to put here yet.