Author Topic: not to be a bigot, but I'm not sure I like this...  (Read 556 times)

Offline boxboy28

• Gold Member
      • http://none
not to be a bigot, but I'm not sure I like this...
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2005, 12:04:25 AM »
China has too many swinging dick that need to get laid!   in a place like that I'ld be pissed off too......... "work hard for your money and theres a shortage of potatos"...........great!!!!!!!!!!!!

China and Idian will be the ones who break the news to the world that ET's do exisit! ......................AHHHHHH (con men ahead about to be found out.... well in 10 yr or less)
^"^Nazgul^"^    fly with the undead!
Jaxxo got nice tata's  and Lyric is Andre the giant with blond hair!

Offline Suave

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2005, 12:56:38 AM »
The chinese empire had a little slump recently. It will rebound. China was the most advanced nation in the world at one time, it's also the oldest, predating the romans even.

Don't like it? Stop shopping at wallmart.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/walmart/view/

The best thing that we can do is instill our ideals of the preciousness of freedom into the chinese. And safeguard our liberties here at home. That way, when china surpasses us, and they will, the alpha primates will be nice monkies, like we are.

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/moviewavs.cgi?Bandits=danger.wav
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2005, 02:03:03 AM »
but I thought we were told last year that it was a good thing when our jobs go to India?

as far as what to do about it?  seems simple to me, level the field a bit.  

if you want to sell your product here, then you will comply with with all environmental, and human rights standards that American companies are required to operate under.  (yes I do realize that there are other countries that think our standards are a bit low, I wouldn't blame them for giving us a similar ultimatum.)

then calculate how much tax is paid on the American competitors version of the product.  from the taxes the company pays, to the income tax paid by the workers who built it.  then add that tax on to the imports sticker price.  

then you calculate how much we spend in security costs monitoring imports,  break that down to dollars we spend per dollar value of imported products.  then do the math for the value of the import and add that to the cost as well.

we should also pass legislation to help make it unprofitable to ship our raw materials over seas.  here it's timber.  when I was a kid the log-trucks ran all day.  guys making a living falling trees, hauling them to the mill, and processing the logs.  
  now not only do we have to slow down the harvest rate, but the mills are mostly closed.  other than a very few exceptions, the small stuff gets chipped up for paper and particle board.
  what passes for larger sized timber these days usually has one of 2 fates.  either way it stops in Longview to be loaded on to a Japanese ship where it will either be taken out to a processing ship, turned into lumber and shipped back to be sold here.  or they load them on the same boats to ship them home and stockpile them until the price comes up.
  no more selling logs.  you need a 2x4? we got a guy who will sell you one.  you need a chair?  we'll sell you a chair.
with less jobs due to decreased harvesting it seems stupid to me to continue to have trade laws that make it more profitable to ship the log (and the job) over-seas instead of putting an American to work.

I think you'd find we can compete just fine with foreign competition if we don't get stupid and give the jobs away, and let foreign competitors compete under the same rules we do.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2005, 02:12:38 AM by capt. apathy »

Offline TweetyBird

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2005, 10:32:09 AM »
Here's one thing they left out. As capitalism becomes worldwide, I think people will see its not a great thing. Capitalism only works if resources are expanding.

storch

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2005, 10:47:10 AM »
Originally posted by TweetyBird
Here's one thing they left out. As capitalism becomes worldwide, I think people will see its not a great thing. Capitalism only works if resources are expanding.

Free enterprise works. 100% of the time

Offline MrCoffee

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2005, 12:08:37 PM »
Seems like the rules are suppose to be fair however the situation is not. At the moment and into the future it will be difficult to compete against a similar product from china or elsewhere if its produced well because its cheaper to produce of course. So for every industry that america looses to an overseas producer a new industry needs to be created or expanded here at home to replace it. Cheaper adequate quality goods is good for the consumer as well as industry but theres got to also be some balance in opportunity as well. Onwards to the future I guess.