Author Topic: WOW...Sub Photos  (Read 1157 times)

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
WOW...Sub Photos
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2005, 03:03:48 PM »
I spent 6 years on that same type Sub back in the '80s. The damage you see is basically to the sonar dome and its flooded already.

The pressure hull is still intact. The La class attack subs have 2 compartments separating the aft section of the pressure hull from the front.

If the forward section of the pressure hull flooded then there would have been many more deaths.

The crew didn't have to do much to 'save' the boat after the impact, just get up off the deck and surface.

FYI,

The Sub is 'held up' by wooden blocks. I never one 'fall over'...

Offline Swager

• Silver Member
WOW...Sub Photos
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2005, 06:44:29 PM »
Right on Wotan, but if the front end flooded they would of went down!  Damage is sort of close to the people tank but the Sonar dome and MBT took most of the impact.  A 637 class might of went down, even though the USS Ray hit a sea mound and survived.

They will propably decommission her.  She is the 711.  I think the 712 (Atlanta) has already been decommed.  Mainly depends upon when her last major overhaul was.

When I was on the Groton, we ran aground twice, but no damage on the first, but damaged our sonar dome on the second.
Rock:  Ya see that Ensign, lighting the cigarette?
Powell: Yes Rock.
Rock: Well that's where I got it, he's my son.
Powell: Really Rock, well I'd like to meet him.
Rock:  No ya wouldn't.

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
WOW...Sub Photos
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2005, 07:00:22 PM »
Somehow it's still amazing that after all the years of submarining and the trillions of dollars spent on submarines that the latest and greatest can still cruise right into a big fat stationary obstacle.

Not a confidence builder.
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous

Offline Otto

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cris.com/~ziggy2/
WOW...Sub Photos
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2005, 07:14:08 PM »
Originally posted by Halo
Somehow it's still amazing that after all the years of submarining and the trillions of dollars spent on submarines that the latest and greatest can still cruise right into a big fat stationary obstacle.

Not a confidence builder.

Halo, there's a common saying that 'We know more about the surface of the Moon than we know about the Oceans's floor"  It's probablity correct...

Offline mora

• Gold Member
WOW...Sub Photos
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2005, 07:39:14 PM »
Do you and the Ruskies still have most of your boomers cruising around these days?

Offline WOOD1

• Zinc Member
WOW...Sub Photos
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2005, 08:30:11 PM »
I was an AW in the Navy, I flew on a patrol plane hunting submarines, I enjoyed it, lot's of real cool "toys" to play with. US subs are amazingly quiet and the part of the sub's exterior they are most sensitve about are the propellors. They usually cover them with a tarp before removing the sub from the water.

AKwoody

Offline Dux

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
WOW...Sub Photos
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2005, 08:57:52 PM »
Originally posted by Charon
Otto said it. I really didn't think there were THAT tough.

I've been on and in 688s, and the one thing that impressed me the most was the absloute "solidness" feeling you got... like standing on a granite mountain. Not at all like standing on a dumpster or anything else like that.

Most of the damage shown above is to the sonar dome, which is a heavy composite structure, mostly plastic.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2005, 09:02:43 PM by Dux »
Rogue Squadron, CO
5th AF, FSO Squadron, Member

We all have a blind date with Destiny... and it looks like she's ordered the lobster.

storch

WOW...Sub Photos
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2005, 11:28:47 PM »
Admiral Nimitz ran his 1st command aground.

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
WOW...Sub Photos
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2005, 03:06:18 AM »
'Why is it not falling over??'

my geuss would be the natural center of gravity makes the sub practically glued to the floor.

upright bouyancy and all that.

wouldnt be a good thing if underwater subs rolled onto their backs here and there. they are designed to stay upright.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.