Author Topic: Sata hd install?  (Read 207 times)

Offline IronDog

• Nickel Member
Sata hd install?
« on: February 08, 2005, 07:07:36 PM »
Putting togather a new puter,and I've never dealt with a Sata hd.I can't understand the different methods of hooking up power to it,and what type of connecting cable is best.I have a 80 gig WD hard drive,and my motherboard is Sata capable.Was reading an article by someone who uses the WD secure lock cable.He likes it,but said he doesn't care for the fact that he has to use the low power mogex connection.I have researched Maxtor,Seagate,and I still can't understand how pick the right cable,and how to connect it properly.One fellow said you either use mogex,or some other type,but not both.I'm lost,and really don't want to hose HD or something else,by making a mistake.Thanks in advance for any help.

IronDog
475th FG Satans Angels

system being built
AMD +3500
MSI neo Platinum 2 MB
WD 80 gig Sata HD
1 gig Corsair 3200 Xl memory
Coolermaster 450 watt power supply,with 2 Sata connectors
Nvidia 5900 XT video card,I know,it's not great,but running low on funds,had to salvage something from old puter,can upgrade later
SB Audigy sound card

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Sata hd install?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2005, 09:46:50 PM »
I used the regular hd power connections for my WD 80gb drives

no problem
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Siaf__csf

• Gold Member
Sata hd install?
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2005, 05:26:40 PM »
I think WD is the only sata manufacturer which has standard molex connectors for power. That means you can plug the hd in JUST NORMALLY with the exception of using the sata cable instead of ide.