Author Topic: Four thousand ports  (Read 519 times)

Offline Benny Moore

• Silver Member
Four thousand ports
« on: October 19, 2006, 06:45:16 AM »
Why does this game not use a single static port like all other games?  Every computer expert I talk to about the four thousand port range and random assignment finds it bizarre, unsecure, and unnecessary.  None of my friends recommend opening four thousand ports.  And many of the required ports are already in use on my router.

[edit]I switched two words.[/edit]
« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 08:10:19 AM by Benny Moore »

Offline mussie

• Gold Member
Four thousand ports
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006, 07:05:08 AM »
Hmmm

I am no network Guru, But from general opinion within the AH community and my personal experience (been playing on Dial-Up from Aus for almost 2 years). Skuzzy is....

I am sure that there will be a reason and I am sure skuzzy knows what it is...

Later

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Four thousand ports
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006, 07:55:02 AM »
Its my understanding that each user that logs into the arena's basicly gets assigned a fresh port. What # that port is depends on which arena, & how many people are online.

But Skuzzy runs a room for Internet problems, I suggest you take it up with him over in internet connectivity.

BTW Be POLITE, skuzzy is the MAN, he used to own his own ISP.
He's a true networking guru.
He's a real prince as long as you treat him with respect.
Get on his bad side, and, well, might as well go play Warcraft or evercrack.

Offline mussie

• Gold Member
Four thousand ports
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2006, 07:59:45 AM »
Hey Ghosth. How are ya mate...

Benny, Like Ghosth said.... Skuzzy is not only a true gentleman, he is also  da head geek and as a wanna be geek, I have the utmost  respect for him...

EDIT: I heard a rumor that the last phone bill Skuzzy received was sometime in 1973 and it said AT&T owed him just under 45 million...

:p

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Four thousand ports
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006, 10:17:05 AM »
Benny Moore,
Why keep asking the same question each month???
http://www.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=187959

Skuzzy already gave you the answer in last September's post. Will he have to repeat his answer each month?
I suggest you accept that it does use the ports it does and not repeatedly post the same question.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline BugsBunny

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
Four thousand ports
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006, 10:24:40 AM »
I think Benny needs to understand what a port is and how they are being used (based on his questions on the other thread).  I don't think Scuzzy will try to answer again simply because you would not get it.  You need to know what a car is, before calling the manufacturer asking why they painted it red. :lol

Offline LTARokit

• Copper Member
Four thousand ports
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2006, 10:32:01 AM »
4000 CV's :O   OMG.....that would be like down town LA.....on a Friday.........at 5 pm :O

he he

(j/k)

Offline Airscrew

• Platinum Member
Four thousand ports
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2006, 10:55:34 AM »
Originally posted by LTARokit
4000 CV's :O   OMG.....that would be like down town LA.....on a Friday.........at 5 pm :O
he he(j/k)

Thats funny :lol  thats what I thought when I read the title of the thread  wowowow 4,000 CVs lets see those dweebs try to sink em all.

Of course that give me an Idea,  how bout a map with nothing but ports and CVs :t

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
Four thousand ports
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2006, 11:02:32 AM »
4000 ports! That's like my ram. He has 512 million bites! Why so many????? My friend says that's a bad idea. The ram could kill me if it got mad!
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline mussie

• Gold Member
Four thousand ports
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2006, 11:26:55 AM »
Originally posted by hubsonfire
4000 ports! That's like my ram. He has 512 million bites! Why so many????? My friend says that's a bad idea. The ram could kill me if it got mad!

Then stop taking it to the cliff so it will push back..................

Cmon ppl its not that hard to figure out Ram ---> Ewe BAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Four thousand ports
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2006, 11:51:59 AM »
The port range we use are public ports.  They have nothing listening on them, by default.  Nothing can connect to a port which does not have a listener attached to it.

Trying to connect to a port which has no listener attached, is like shoving one end of a garden hose into the ground expecting to get water out the other end.  It aint' gonna happen.

Whoever is telling you it is a security problem needs to bone up on how networking actually works.

Of course, if you use a firewall, and block all ports, you will see hits on ports which have nothing listening on them.  But the firewalls will gladly report it, even though those ports are already secured without the firewall.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Alpo

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Silver Member
Four thousand ports
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2006, 02:00:41 PM »
Originally posted by Skuzzy
Trying to connect to a port which has no listener attached, is like shoving one end of a garden hose into the ground expecting to get water out the other end.  It aint' gonna happen.

:rofl :rofl

:lol
SkyKnights Fighter Group -CO-
R.I.P.  SKDenny 02/03/1940 - 02/19/2012

Offline Benny Moore

• Silver Member
Four thousand ports
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2006, 03:20:28 PM »
Thank you.  That was the reply I was looking for.  But how is it that other games require only a single port to host?  And will I be able to host Ventrilo, which runs on a port between 3000 and 4000, while hosting Aces High?  One of the two posters mocking me here suggests that I can.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 04:12:14 PM by Benny Moore »

Offline Flayed1

• Silver Member
Four thousand ports
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2006, 04:19:19 PM »
Originally posted by Airscrew
Thats funny :lol  thats what I thought when I read the title of the thread  wowowow 4,000 CVs lets see those dweebs try to sink em all.

Of course that give me an Idea,  how bout a map with nothing but ports and CVs :t

Funny you should think about that because I was thinking about my map making efforts and thought about trying one with lots of small islands with a port on each and maybe enough room for an airbase on each :)  

Was just a thought.
From the ashes of the old we rise to fly again. Behold The Phoenix Wing!

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
Four thousand ports
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2006, 04:48:25 PM »
Originally posted by Benny Moore
Thank you.  That was the reply I was looking for.  But how is it that other games require only a single port to host?  And will I be able to host Ventrilo, which runs on a port between 3000 and 4000, while hosting Aces High?  One of the two posters mocking me here suggests that I can.

Yes you can. Both ventrilo and team speak work with AH.
21 is only half the truth.