Author Topic: HT, please give us the old transitions back!  (Read 420 times)

Offline kanttori

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 32
HT, please give us the old transitions back!
« on: February 10, 2005, 02:17:19 PM »
This alpha-based terrain texture's transitions are not good and they make the coastlines awfully looking! They are also disappearing and appearing in the game and in the TE, too...

I understand that they are easier to make and lighter than the old ones, but the classic transition system was 100 times more artistic and it looked 1000 times more realistic than current one.

Propably many terrain builders had difficulties with the old transitions (also me), but when there's a real texturizing artist like Squirrel or Nuttz, he can do miracles with those old transitions!

Now when you can create awesome looking landscapes with these amazing tools it's very depressive that you can do anything to those coastlines... or is there coming something improvement to current transition system?

HT, I highlight once more, that most of the things and tools you have given us are just great! :aok
Lentorykmentti 3 - Finnish Aces High Virtual Flight Regiment

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2005, 02:22:32 PM »
No on transitions. The resone we went this way is do to number of textures. We can now fairly easaly increase the number of base types. With out having an exponetial number of transitions.

Plus now with sub tile types, the transition lines are completly different than they used to be.

I still have to come up with a different method for doing coast lines, just havn't given the problem a lot of thought yet.

HiTech

Offline kanttori

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 32
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2005, 02:39:26 PM »
Ok HT, I understand that there are too growing amount of transitions if you really are going to add more textures later!

The current system is satisfactory between the ground textures and it's very nice to hear that coastlines are coming under work in the future! I hope that in the very near future! :D

Thank you for the info!

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2005, 02:46:09 PM »
What if the transition system would work ONLY between water and other textures.. and not between various ground textures?

Just a wild guess and though :)

BlauKreuz - Lentolaivue 34      

Offline kanttori

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 32
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2005, 03:01:03 PM »
BlauK, I just though about the same system! :aok

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
Re: HT, please give us the old transitions back!
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2005, 03:09:43 PM »
Thanx for the kinds words.  There still is a work around, use the "snow" tile ( not sure what the number is now) change it to black and place it in the map, you will see the alpha shape. Now make a tile that has sand and water/ beach/rock and water, whatever and use that around your water/land edge. This is what I did in alot of the older maps and will still work in the new ones. Also, to change the sterility of the same coastline threwout the map, I stole some void objects and reskined them to use at zero hieght and rotate and place at the waters edge. This works great for covering where the rivers transition into the sea.I also believe the alpha can be changed, HiTech could tell you if it can. I'm Just getting back into the mapmaking biz, so I need to get myself up to speed, but AHII has a great potencial as far as mapmaking. I'm already painting ouside the box, and have some great ideas I'm working on.

NUTTZ

Originally posted by kanttori
This alpha-based terrain texture's transitions are not good and they make the coastlines awfully looking! They are also disappearing and appearing in the game and in the TE, too...

I understand that they are easier to make and lighter than the old ones, but the classic transition system was 100 times more artistic and it looked 1000 times more realistic than current one.

Propably many terrain builders had difficulties with the old transitions (also me), but when there's a real texturizing artist like Squirrel or Nuttz, he can do miracles with those old transitions!

Now when you can create awesome looking landscapes with these amazing tools it's very depressive that you can do anything to those coastlines... or is there coming something improvement to current transition system?

HT, I highlight once more, that most of the things and tools you have given us are just great! :aok

Offline kanttori

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 32
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2005, 03:38:25 PM »
Good ideas Nuttz, I just go and try it! ;)

Here's very easy way to create transitions between Water and Land:

AH Classic had four red type and four blue type transitions. That was all. If you can douple it (8 + 8) I'm a happy man, if you can trible it (12 + 12) I am in the heaven!

You don't need to think transition's matching to the neighbour ground textures, because we can use the current alpha transitions, which are working between land textures. You can see the idea in the picture.

The transitions must be the big type as in the picture, then you have very powerful tools to coastlines. And very simple system to carry out!

What do you think?:)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2005, 03:42:56 PM by kanttori »