Author Topic: Bomb site "assistance" mark  (Read 503 times)

Offline Mack

• Zinc Member
      • http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Iron_BrigadeAH
Bomb site "assistance" mark
« on: February 14, 2005, 04:52:28 PM »
I may have missed this somewhere.....so forgive me for asking something that may have been asked before.

In the training arena, if you are carrying ord. on an aircraft, you get a green marker in assisting you in learning how to bomb.

Why isn't this on for the offline version?  I often will do offline drills and having this same feature here would be wonderful help!

Thanks

Mack

Offline RSLQK186

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2005, 06:16:23 PM »
On your clipboard click setup>arena setup>environment>arena settings and double click FlightModeFlags in the table. Save after making changes.
Hacksaw- THE UNFORGIVEN
Founder- Special events contingent
"I'm very very sneaky"

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2005, 07:02:15 PM »
You don't have to click save. Clicking OK will put the settings in effect until you quit the offline arena.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
      • http://members.shaw.ca/soda_p/models.htm
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2005, 09:14:13 PM »
As I posted in another thread some time ago:
-----------------------------------------------
A suggestion for practicing calibration, you don't actually have to drop a bomb to see how well you calibrated offline. Go offline, choose "setup", "arena setup", "environment", "arena settings" and select "flightmodeflags". Press Change and then turn on the "divebomb sight". That is the little green + sign you see on the ground and it works like a constant computing bomb-impact point. Then, fly your bomber, and calibrate. If you are doing it correctly then the green + and the + from your bombsight crosshairs should line up after you've calibrated. You can practice over and over this way, just seeing how close the two match up, until you get the hang of it. This way, you can calibrate a dozen times in a row and in a single evening probably have the hang of it.

One other tip, you can use the wind to improve your climb-rate (so you need not wait a long time to climb to a practice altitude). Climb in your aircraft, and take-off, level out and get to about 200mph. Then, open up the settings, look for the "Wind" (again under arena settings) and set the "vertical" wind component to max (127)... that puts a 127mph updraft under you and zips you right up to altitiude. Then, press "no Wind" to turn it off so you can get to speed and practice.

A couple of caveats, the green + will show the impact point so undulating terrain at a different altitude than where you calibrated (selected your target) will not match up. Easiest way to ensure it matches is to select something at sea-level along a shoreline and then calibrate near shore. Secondly, you can't use your normal "level auto-pilot" if you are using the wind trick, you need to use "Auto-level" (SHIFT-X) as that will not try and maintain constant altitiude. normal autopilot will try and dive to compensate for the updraft.
---------------------------------------------

This'll make it very quick and easy to practice bombing offline.  The new bomb model is very easy once you get the hang of it, much easier than the old calibration.  In this model if you can hold a constant speed you can basically be laser-accurate.

Offline Mack

• Zinc Member
      • http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Iron_BrigadeAH
Thank you!
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2005, 05:11:01 PM »
Thanks for the tips!