Author Topic: Funny pre-view of SH3  (Read 316 times)

Offline Russian

• Gold Member
Funny pre-view of SH3
« on: February 19, 2005, 10:27:43 PM »
http://www.gamespy.com/articles/588/588809p1.html?fromint=1

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The good news: I had just scored a preview version of Silent Hunter III, which I firmly believe is destined to become the premiere historical submarine simulation on the planet. This thing has it all: detailed 3D renderings of a World War II submarine inside and out, incredible water graphics that even simulate how water drains over the periscope lens, and genuine navigation and tactics.

The bad news? The build I had was mostly in German, which made it uncannily realistic in the worst way. My grasp of the German language is limited to what I gathered from a couple years of high school, meaning I can ask where the toilet is or inform someone named Mucki that I like to play tennis. Neither of which is very helpful when attacking a convoy in the treacherous rollers of the English Channel.

I rammed the engine telegraph lever in the opposite direction and made a note of the difference between "quarter speed ahead" and "quarter speed reverse" when both are written in German. Soon we were on our way, gliding out of the submarine pen while the crew around me acknowledged my orders incomprehensibly. I suppose I owed it to them to tell them the truth.

"Men," I said, speaking over the thrum of the engines and the gurgle of water. "I know that you all look up to me. This is because I'm standing on the rail of the conning tower, and you are several feet below. But I digress." The young men, Germany's finest, blinked at me, not understanding a word. "Men, I don't speak German," I announced. "Ich ... spreche ... nada. Nein! None. Indeed, it's a miracle I've gotten this far in the Kriegsmarine, because not only can I not understand you, nor any of the controls, but I am also too lazy to read game manuals. In truth, the only thing between you and a horrifying death in the icy clutches of the sea will be my inability to locate the enemy. Godspeed." -

:aok

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Funny pre-view of SH3
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2005, 12:39:40 AM »

I cant take it anymore!!!

YARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Raider179

• Gold Member
Funny pre-view of SH3
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2005, 01:22:35 AM »
me either. Multiplayer wolfpacks.....

Offline JB88

• Plutonium Member
Re: Funny pre-view of SH3
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2005, 05:58:44 AM »
Originally posted by Russian
http://www.gamespy.com/articles/588/588809p1.html?fromint=1

:aok

hillarious.

absolutely.

:D
this thread is doomed.
www.augustbach.com  

To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield. -Ulysses.

word.

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
Funny pre-view of SH3
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2005, 07:01:42 AM »
Pre ordered it, can't wait either...
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.