Author Topic: Hi-altitude con  (Read 379 times)

Offline Soviet

• Nickel Member
      • http://flanker2.8m.net
Hi-altitude con
« on: September 16, 2001, 08:18:00 PM »
I'm a mostly BnZ fighter, my favorite rides for BnZ are the P-47D-30 and the F4U-1D.  I usally climb to about 15-20k before entering the fray but here's the problem, what if i'm cruising along at 15k in say a P47D-30 and suddenly a Bf-109G-10 or La-7 or Temp (my major problems in the Jug) comes along in front of me at 20k we go HO and miss each.  Now what do i do after this, i want to either get away from him but it's hard to get rid of a Bf-109G-10 or La-7 or Temp or engage him somehow even though he will have the e advantage from coming from High alititude?? I know there must be some way??

Thanks for any help.

~Soviet

Offline pdog_109

• Copper Member
Hi-altitude con
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2001, 08:24:00 PM »
Go to 30k. The jug should realy shine that high.

Offline Soviet

• Nickel Member
Hi-altitude con
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2001, 09:38:00 PM »
yes but sometimes, you might get cought that low after a few passes or something, you might not always be at 30k.

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
Hi-altitude con
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2001, 10:28:00 PM »
At 20k, the Jug has an advantage over the La7.  The La7 is really only good up to maybe 12k, above that it is still VERY fast, but it loses a lot of its acceleration.  Against a Tempest, well, you are screwed  :p.

Against the 109G10, the fight should be pretty even around 20k.  If the 109 is BnZing, all you need to do is be very patient.  Just make a fairly gentle break turn when you see him coming, and it he tried to track you, go into a barrel roll or another evasive.  Eventually, you will wear down his E advantage (plus you will get snapshots every time you force him to overshoot).  If you really have to get away from the 109, you can go into a dive.  Get above 400 mph and then start doing some gentle turns- the 109 will be unable to match them because his controls won't be working so well at that speed.  Once you get him to overshoot he is yours- the planes are just about equal in a 1v1 fight.  Hopefully, some of the Jug experts can pop in and give a hand here, my advice is mostly from fighting them in the 109.

Offline Soviet

• Nickel Member
Hi-altitude con
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2001, 10:31:00 PM »
thanks, everyone here has been soo helpfull, thank you everyone for the help

Offline Blue Mako

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org/BLUEmako.htm
Hi-altitude con
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2001, 11:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by Soviet:
what if i'm cruising along at 15k in say a P47D-30 and suddenly a Bf-109G-10 or La-7 or Temp (my major problems in the Jug) comes along in front of me at 20k we go HO and miss each.  Now what do i do after this...

First rule of thumb: Don't take the HO.  Avoid the other plane if it tries to take a HO shot.  DON'T try to shot back.  This will give you more time to either set up an offensive lead turn or to run away from the con.

If the enemy plane is on your tail, follow the other advice posted above...

:)

Offline flakbait

• Silver Member
      • http://www.worldaccessnet.com/~delta6
Hi-altitude con
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2001, 06:55:00 AM »
Avoid the head-on, but don't dive to do it. A simple turn to place him on your 10 or 2 o'clock works fine. He's too far out of position for any quality shot, and even a snap-shot won't do him any good. If the guy does fire on you, he's a tin horn or a vet pretending to be one. More than once some 109 driver will try to tag me by only BnZ while I'm in a Yak. Not too healthy for him. Everytime he dives on me, I pull a gentile turn and he goes whizzing past. When he sets up the next pass, I do it again. Usually after ten or twenty times he'll do something dumb like turn with me. A quick barrel roll, followed by a half-ass ratchet turn, and he's doing an impression of a lawn dart. Now if he goes and dives on you from head-on, he's an idiot. See, you're going in the opposite direction he is, which means he has to dive in order to keep you in his sight. The faster you're going, the more negative G's he has to push. Everytime someone tries BnZ moves on me, I force them into diving head-on at me. He gets no shot, and I get off scott free. If he's smart, he'll pull off and go for another angle. Which always ends up as a swirling dogfight unless one of you gets lucky with a bullet.

-----------------------
Flakbait [Delta6]
Delta Six's Flight School
Put the P-61B in Aces High
"With all due respect Chaplian, I don't think my maker wants to hear from me right now. I'm gonna go out there and remove one of His creations from this universe.
And when I get back I'm gonna drink a bottle of Scotch like it was Chiggy von
Richthofen's blood and celebrate his death."
Col. McQueen, Space: Above and Beyond

Offline Rocket

• Nickel Member
Hi-altitude con
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2001, 04:45:00 PM »
Hmm you are 15k and he is 20k and you make a head on merge? Are you saying you are climbing to meet him coming down???
When I meet another higher con than me and there is more than 5k seperation I fly straight and level.  Let them come 5k down and get that near unmanageable speed up.  If they do it slow I usually can drag them back to help or atleast even the odds between us.  If they dive hard then I will pull my nose in their direction but I will not climb to do it.  If I can get the figth to my level I will do it.  Between passes get as much seperation as you can.  Keep the gap wide.  Gives you a chance to build E between attacks.  If it is a really good pilot attacking you may not wear them out but you can at least get them closer to help.  If it is a medium or less pilot they may get frustrated and make mistakes.   Make them work as hard as possible and they get bored and screw up or they make the mistake and screw up.. you win  :)   Don't force the fight ever.. if you are in a bad spot try to get outta dodge.. If you can't then try to last long enough for help or a chance to get them to lose E and make the mistakes  :)

S!
Rocket