Author Topic: SUV wallies  (Read 209 times)

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
SUV wallies
« on: March 13, 2005, 03:04:34 AM »
SUVs. You either love 'em or you hate 'em. And I don't love 'em. Folks go to all that expense to buy something that could traverse jungle or swampland, and for what? To look "cool" in Kensington or Chelsea. :rolleyes:

Got to hand it to the motoring industry for having convinced people they need these things. My former cleaning lady had one - thought she was dead cool, but "Waaaaah, it costs me £120 to drive to Norwich and back". Well duh...

Someone sent me this, and it cracked me up! :lol

Offline Chortle

• Nickel Member
SUV wallies
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2005, 05:10:52 AM »
Your cleaning lady was robbing you.

Saw an SUV roll infront of me once. Guy was trying to beat the lights at a junction so must have been doing about 35, nothing that excessive. Thing rolled before he got more than a quater through the turn, luckily it was late so nothing got in his way as he slid lazily on his side till he hit the curb.

Hardly suprising though as most look like they're just scaled up Tonka Toys.

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
SUV wallies
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2005, 08:15:46 AM »
Cracks me up when I see some suit`s ole lady in the Yup version of the Land Cruiser with all the chrome and trinkets attached, cell phone in hand while applying makeup.
I`d bet Ruark and Capstick could have a few sundowner chuckles outa this crap.
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline BUG_EAF322

• Gold Member
      • http://bug322.startje.com
SUV wallies
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2005, 08:32:53 AM »
Well if u have enough money i think they are nice to drive. Lotsa room for the kids also so they are great family cars.
And its a porsche thats ok  :)
But i would buy the touareq just because it has to be a volkswagen.

Than thinking the fuel these cars drink its just inresponsible.
They just expensive toys.

Back to my 1993 1850 euros passat variant.
I'm confident with it.

:aok

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Re: SUV wallies
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2005, 10:40:20 AM »
Originally posted by beet1e
SUVs. You either love 'em or you hate 'em. And I don't love 'em. Folks go to all that expense to buy something that could traverse jungle or swampland, and for what? To look "cool" in Kensington or Chelsea. :rolleyes:

Got to hand it to the motoring industry for having convinced people they need these things. My former cleaning lady had one - thought she was dead cool, but "Waaaaah, it costs me £120 to drive to Norwich and back". Well duh...

Someone sent me this, and it cracked me up! :lol

Hmmm... I fail to see the "UTILITY" in that thing.

It's a station wagon/mini van with all-wheel drive.
sand

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
SUV wallies
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2005, 10:43:13 AM »
The thing y'all are missing is that, despite the poor price/performance ratio, the thing has a similar acceleration profile (and drives similarly) to a Porsche 911.  The reviewer I read said he was impressed at how it could ford a stream, and out-accelerate everything else on the road with him.

I wouldn't buy one, but I'm not buying one with my eyes wide open.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

storch

SUV wallies
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2005, 10:56:01 AM »
actually I've been considering picking up a mini.  I drove a friend's a few weeks ago and I smile every time I recall the experience.  but then again the biggest personal vehicle I've ever owned was a 1970 Pontiac Grand Prix when I was 16.  after that it's been compact pickups.  the latest is a Toyota Tacoma.