Author Topic: Mapping Joystick  (Read 273 times)

Offline shiningpathb4me

• Copper Member
Mapping Joystick
« on: April 02, 2005, 08:58:15 AM »
This is one I'd really like to get help on.

I have a Saitek X45.  It has a total of four (4) 8-pos switches.  Two of them are your typical 'Hat' switches located on top of the stick.  The other two are much smaller and located on the throttle unit.

The primary hat switch functions in all 8 positions and can be mapped to 8 different views. NONE of the others can.  The secondary hat and the two smaller ones only read as four (4) position switches in AH2.  This means I still have to use the keyboard keypad to see up 360 degrees. (I have my primary mapped to around 'level' 360 degrees).  On the throttle, I use one of the 4ways as a combo flaps and gunsight zoom, or as a combo tranny shift and gunsight zoom if I'm in my 'GV' stick set.

My primary question here is: How do I get AH2 to see all 8 positions of my 8 way switches? All of them? If not all at LEAST my secondary hat.

As an unrelated note I'll add that over the last month several buttons on the joystick have quit working. All three buttons on top of the stick have quit. This item was $80 at some electronics store - purchased becasue I'd gone through three logitechs in as many weeks.

If no one can help me with the hat switch issue, perhaps some advice on a good joystick purchase strategy . . .

Offline Big Mac

• Zinc Member
      • http://None
Mapping Joystick
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2005, 09:58:17 AM »
I don't think this is what your looking for but I use the Saitek software to program my X45 instead of the AH mapper.  I get 8 views on the coolie hat 1 and by using the pinke switch I get 8 veiws up on the same hat for a total of 16 veiws on coolie hat 1.  If you would like me to send you my profile, just let me know.

Big Mac

Offline shiningpathb4me

• Copper Member
Yes but . . .
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2005, 10:16:14 AM »
Others have told me not to install the saitek mapping software because it would foul things up. I uninstalled mine to see if that was the problem but to no avail. I'll have to reinstall it.  AH2 is the only game I play with it so I really have no idea what to do with the software anyway. I have a vague notion that it allows me to map my joystick to work with popular PC games.

I'd love to try it but I'll need some idea of the step-by-step process to follow to load your map, and anything I'm supposed to do each time I reboot, login to AH2, etc.  I'm not clueless w/ software/pc's in general, only gaming. I've been programming for close to 20 years now, but games were never the subject, and I never had much time to play them till now :)

shiningpathb4me@yahoo.com

Offline Big Mac

• Zinc Member
      • http://None
Mapping Joystick
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2005, 11:07:57 AM »
I have used the Saitek Software with no problems for years and before that Thrustmaster programming software.  I use it because it allows me to program many functions using the rotary dials and all the other buttons.  I have not messed with the AH mapper to much because I can get everything I want from the Saitek software.  That does not mean that someone else could not get the same or more from the AH Mapper.  Many people have opinions regarding the above issue.  I am just letting you know what has worked for me with very little problems.

First thing I did was go the Saitek website and downloaded the proper drivers for my operating system (XP).  Then I downloaded the installation instructions and the Saitek program software.

Followed the directions, it is specific in the driver installation as to when to plug in the X45.  After drivers were installed and I checked in Windows XP game controllers and saw that it was properly listed and working.  I then installed the programming software.  After that, load the Aces High Profile.  I will send you two files, one is my Aces High Profile the other is a MS Word sheet that has picture of the X45 and boxes that show what is programmed for each button.  I print that out and keep by my desk for reference.  I also pencil in changes that I want to make then go into Saitek programming software and make the changes.  I find the programming software fairly simple, they have manuals that show how to do it.  Also, I have looked at others profile to figure how they did it.

After the installation you should have a little icon in your trey at the bottom windows.  You have to select the Aces High Profile to make it active then go into Aces High.

In Aces High, you do have to map the joystick, throttle and rudder axis.  You will see that I use CH Pro Pedals for rudder but you can setup the X45 to control rudders.

Big Mac

Offline Cobra412

• Silver Member
Mapping Joystick
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2005, 01:16:22 PM »
Shining the setup for the X45 isn't to hard to do. I use to fly with the X45 and it was fairly simple to setup and I had absolutely no problems with it. You have to make sure you activate the profile though or it won't work. I know that was my only problem in the past.

Someone should be flying a similiar setup and can walk you through it. I don't have the software loaded anymore because I'm using CH Products now. If I did I'd be glad to help you out.

I ran into the exact same problem with the coolie hats on the X45. They do tend to go out fairly quickly. It seems the input shaft is to long and for those of us that tend to put firm pressure down on the hat makes them go out. To see if this is the case you can put a little down pressure on them and they'll work a little better but they'll still be messed up.  

If you just bought it get your receipt and take it back. Next one you purchase I'd get it from BestBuy and grab the warranty for it. Then when it does it again take it back for a brand new one. If you enjoy the stick and throttle combo and don't want to spend alot of money then you can purchase the same thing or you can spend a little more and get the X52. I know someone here said they bought the X52 so you can ask how they like it.