Author Topic: Advise on next plane to learn  (Read 555 times)

Offline swift

• Zinc Member
Advise on next plane to learn
« on: April 09, 2005, 01:34:52 AM »
The only plane I am currently even half-successful in is the 109g10. Are there any other planes that handle like this that I can learn? Any advise would be appreciated.
Taking an enemy on the battlefield is like a hawk taking a bird. Even though it enters into the midst of a thousand of them, it gives no attention to any bird than the one it first marked.

Offline YUCCA

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2005, 01:56:23 AM »
As far as handling goes? Yeah i guess the 190 d9 and a5 would be ok to learn on.  Ponies aren't too bad.  i suggest you learn on a spitfire of sorts though.

Offline swift

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2005, 02:10:11 AM »
I did try to learn the spit before I changed to something speedier. Problem with turn fightin planes(that I have at least) is that there are too many good turn pilots using the same plane or it's equivalent on the deck. So I ended up spending 5 mins to get into a fight for 15-30secs of combat. I switched over to something for BnZ for a couple of reasons, mainly to help me learn to aim(can't get off shots when you are dead :)) and it lets me stay engaged longer.

I know I can take it to the TA, but that doesn't simulate MA much at all. I've become comfortable enough in the 109g10 that I can sorta E fight in it(tho I assume this isn't hard in that plane).

I'll check out the other planes you mentioned, appreciate the info and thank you for it.
Taking an enemy on the battlefield is like a hawk taking a bird. Even though it enters into the midst of a thousand of them, it gives no attention to any bird than the one it first marked.

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: Advise on next plane to learn
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2005, 02:11:50 AM »
Originally posted by swift
The only plane I am currently even half-successful in is the 109g10. Are there any other planes that handle like this that I can learn? Any advise would be appreciated.

if your half half successful on the G10 then the Brit and US planes should be a snap for you. What kind of success have yo had with the G10?

Offline swift

• Zinc Member
Re: Re: Advise on next plane to learn
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2005, 02:28:54 AM »
If I am careful and don't get impatient I can usually hold a 2:1 ratio in the g10 by using BnZ tactics/picking tactics(not sure if people actually consider this success.). Lately though I have been taking it to the deck, so I am just below 1:1k/d in it(especially on the map we've had the last few days).  

When I try the p-51/p-47/pretty much any american plane I get toasted. I never seem to be able to hit anything or stay on a six or stall out the guy chasing me. That's why I am lookin for something somewhat like the g10 so I can use some of what I know from that plane and apply it to another while learning the capabilities of it so that it might carry onto another plane(that make sense?).

Is my approach just wrong? Should I just try and learn the planes individually or is there some kind of set of planes I could work through in this way?

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2005, 02:46:38 AM »
try a dora  or a yak,  they are bolth bnz type planes but the yak has the ability to tnb also .. if those dont do it then the only thing left thats like a g10 but on the deck is the la7 .
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: Re: Re: Advise on next plane to learn
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2005, 03:44:24 AM »
When I try the p-51/p-47/pretty much any american plane I get toasted. I never seem to be able to hit anything or stay on a six or stall out the guy chasing me. That's why I am lookin for something somewhat like the g10 so I can use some of what I know from that plane and apply it to another while learning the capabilities of it so that it might carry onto another plane(that make sense?).

Yes, you make sense and that may work for you.

Is my approach just wrong? Should I just try and learn the planes individually or is there some kind of set of planes I could work through in this way? One thing I'd suggest is to pick a plane, any one. It really doesn't matter. Fly it for a month or even two. Get a feel for it so you begin to fly at the edge of its flight envelope. Then go after 109's. It doesnt matter which 109 you take on just work on fighting them. It won't take you long to find out what the plane you've picked weaknesses are against the 109's. But, you will also find out what your planes strengths are against the 109. As you learn the differences you will begin to fly to your planes strengths against the 109's weaknesses and use them againsts the 109's.  Then the next time you fly a 109 you will begin to understand how to fly to it's stengths.

Ok, now you will have a pretty good working knowledge of the strengths and weaknesses of the two planes. Go get a new plane and do the same thing. After a while you will find some groups of planes with like strengths and weaknesses.

As long as you fly to your planes strengths and use that against your opponents planes weaknesses you will learn to fight "your fight" and not his and your kills will go up

Hope this helps.

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2005, 03:54:17 AM »
I know I can take it to the TA, but that doesn't simulate MA much at all. I've become comfortable enough in the 109g10 that I can sorta E fight in it(tho I assume this isn't hard in that plane).

The difference between the TA and MA is you don't require much in the way of Situational Awareness (SA) in the TA. However, a fight is a fight and there is a definate difference between the two. SA allows you to determine if you really wanna go pick the fight with some guy. Once you've determined it's safe to do so if you don't have the tactical skills to aggressively pursue the fight to its conclusion then all the SA in the world won't help you win the fight. You did up a fighter plane to get into a dogfight, right? :)

If you need to learn some BFM and ACM then I'd suggest you drop by the TA and work with the trainers there.

Rgds,

Offline YUCCA

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2005, 12:20:39 PM »
General tips--- if you havent set your views you can do so by say if yo uwanna set your 6 view in cockpit hold down on the hat you the arrow keys to move around and page up to sit up high in seat then hit f10 to save view.  Then after that you can see that view as default instead of having the head rest in your way.
Also when you get sort of comforatble flying i'd take off the stall limiter.  It basically prevents you from entering stalls.  But, if you can feel the stalls shuttin it off is best because no one using stall limter can beat a person who can go without it.

Offline pellik

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2005, 01:46:11 PM »
My suggestion would be to get in the KI-84 for a few tours. It still brings a rediculous climb rate to the table, and you'll still have to control your speed to avoid compression, but you'll gain a lot in turning ability especially near the stall. You can treat it just like the g10 except when you get to ~100mph while nose up you now pop flaps and start spinning around like a spit instead of praying that your opponent cant shoot while he runs out of energy. It should be good for bringing about the transition from BnZ to stall fighting.

-pellik

Offline swift

• Zinc Member
Thanks!
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2005, 04:58:32 PM »
Appreciate the time you guys have taken out to give me some advise. Thanks alot :)

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2005, 05:07:41 PM »
Originally posted by pellik
My suggestion would be to get in the KI-84 for a few tours. It still brings a rediculous climb rate to the table, and you'll still have to control your speed to avoid compression, but you'll gain a lot in turning ability especially near the stall. You can treat it just like the g10 except when you get to ~100mph while nose up you now pop flaps and start spinning around like a spit instead of praying that your opponent cant shoot while he runs out of energy. It should be good for bringing about the transition from BnZ to stall fighting.

-pellik

The Ki-84 has trim issues, not compression problems. Simply trim manually to avoid the sluggish elevator at high speeds. Needless to say, this does not offset the issue of losing control surfaces at speeds above 450 mph.

The inability to pursue in a high-speed dive is a weakness that can be expoited. Likewise, the Ki-84 is not a stellar turner until it gets flaps out. This makes it quite vulnerable to Spitfires, Nikis, Zeros and Hurricanes. Also, the P-38 is a dangerous enemy in that it can deploy 80% flaps at speeds up to 200 mph. I would be careful about maneuvering at 150 mph in the MA. Odds are that some other enemy will be waiting to cherry pick you as you turn circles a such low speeds.

My regards,

Widewing
« Last Edit: April 11, 2005, 05:13:04 PM by Widewing »
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline pellik

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2005, 05:56:08 PM »
Originally posted by Widewing
The Ki-84 has trim issues, not compression problems. Simply trim manually to avoid the sluggish elevator at high speeds. Needless to say, this does not offset the issue of losing control surfaces at speeds above 450 mph.

The inability to pursue in a high-speed dive is a weakness that can be expoited. Likewise, the Ki-84 is not a stellar turner until it gets flaps out. This makes it quite vulnerable to Spitfires, Nikis, Zeros and Hurricanes. Also, the P-38 is a dangerous enemy in that it can deploy 80% flaps at speeds up to 200 mph. I would be careful about maneuvering at 150 mph in the MA. Odds are that some other enemy will be waiting to cherry pick you as you turn circles a such low speeds.

My regards,

Widewing

Right, that's why I reference it as a transition out of the 109s. If you're already relying more on climb then turn adding extra low speed maneuverability isn't going to hurt you. The transition from a spit to an 84 might be a little harsher.

-pellik

Offline Elyeh

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2005, 07:08:47 PM »
Swift,
Give me a holler and we can meet up in the TA and head off to a different airfield and duke it out.

Me and Ksinc do this and it simulates the MA

Email   elyeh1@gmail.com

Offline TexMurphy

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2005, 05:46:21 AM »
If you like the G10 then you are propably a BnZer, right?

Personally when I look for new rides to learn I look for similarities and differences. I dont want the EXACT same plane, after all I swich to learn something new. But I do want some of my skills to carry over.

Also what I do is I set a goal. I look at what I want to learn and how to get there.

The latest plane that Ive been learning is the F6F. Why? Because I want to learn how to use flaps better. Plus a secondary goal is to evolve my E fighting even more, conserving my E and getting agressive in the right moment (not all the time in your face flight style I have in the Spit9).

Thats my goals atm.

Its important that you set up goals for your self.

An example could be to learn to E fight. Combination of BnZ and E fighting skills is extreamly leathal.

There are two ways you can learn E fighting.

1. The easy way. Pick a plane that is a good BnZer and good E fighter. Risk with this is that you will fall into the old habbits and just BnZ. Hence not evolving as a pilot.

2. The hard way. Pick a plane that is a great E fighter but not so good BnZer. Risk with this is that you will still fall into your BnZ habbits, do poorly and get very frustrated.

Personally I would go for the 2nd option as I know my self and I tend to go lazy and do what I already know if the option to do it is there. So I would not learn if I went with option 1.

The planes that I would recommend are.

For Option 1.

109-G2 Dont treat it as a G-10 treat it as  a totally different plane.

For Option 2.

Ki-84 You will still have the great accelleration and climb rates that you are used to but almost no dive. You will have to learn to E fight and use the vertical (not just for Zooming out).

Tex