Author Topic: Heya Toad... am thinking about you today  (Read 1156 times)

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
Heya Toad... am thinking about you today
« on: September 11, 2001, 10:18:00 PM »
Wouldn't mind seeing a post from you.  Or any other of the real life pilots that frequent this board.

AKDejaVu

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2001, 11:52:00 PM »
cc...Toad came to mind immediately after I hopped on the board today.  Hope all is well.

SOB
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2001, 12:02:00 AM »
IIRC Toad flies DC-9's, so hopefully he's OK.  He's probably stuck in this mess at an airport somewhere.

Offline mrfish

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2001, 12:14:00 AM »
he posted in another thread a few hours ago.

Offline Fester'

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2001, 12:16:00 AM »
was gonna fly to west palm beach this morning in a c414 but cancelled the flight.

woulda been stuck there if i had gone

Offline skernsk

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2001, 09:15:00 AM »
My brother (an Air Canada pilot) was in NYC a few days ago.  I was in a panic until I got hold of him on his cell phone.

I can't imagine the kind of day people had yesterday who had loved ones in the WTC.  My heart goes out to......everyone involved.

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2001, 12:09:00 PM »
<bump>

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2001, 12:36:00 PM »
I immediately thought of you Toad when I first heard of this terrible act.

Hope to hear from you soon

Regards

Nexx
NEXX

Offline Voss

• Silver Member
      • http://www.bombardieraerospace.com
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2001, 12:47:00 PM »
Toad posted (in the 13th's forum) that he is away from home (ATL) and stuck on the ground until further notice.

Bohica flies, too, and is safe as well.

Offline skernsk

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2001, 12:51:00 PM »
Glad to hear it Voss!

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2001, 01:20:00 PM »
Hi all,

First, thanks to all for your concern and best wishes.

It really does confirm and enhance the sense of community I feel when I enter the arena or read/post on this board. We are, in a sense, "family", brought together by common interests, bound together by common experiences. This game creates a lesser bond than blood, but it creates a bond nonetheless.

I was flying a SFO-ATL redeye and got to the hotel in ATL at about 0600. This itself was a reroute of my trip, so my family really only had a general idea of where I was. I was sleeping when my wife tracked me down through Crew Sked to inform me that this attack had occurred and that my 77 year old Mother was maxxing out the blood pressure tests. My brother is flying International for US Air and was on his way back from Rome. Between knowing that the two of us were out flying, Mom was pretty stressed.

At present, I am sitting on my rear in ATL waiting to see what the plan will be. My brother is, I believe, enjoying the hospitality of the friendly Canadians in Gander that have opened their homes to the stranded crews and passengers. We only had a 3 second call from him saying "I'm OK."

If you Canadians will take it easy on him, we'd appreciate it. He really can't drink much.

Just informed that ATL will be shutdown for the rest of toady. Tomorrow brings what it brings. I am staying at the home of a very good fried from when I was based here. All very enjoyable except that his computer won't run AH.    ;)

Thanks again for your concern and best wishes.

<EDIT>: DC-9 Funked? Next you'll be calling me a stick and rudder monkey again!   ;) I am on the 757/767 (Common Category).

Sadly, it's pretty obvious that a true "stick and rudder monkey" can cause a lot of trouble in a very short time.

I'll say this. I think a decent instructor with a week or two of time could probably teach the S&RM to do what those guys did with just Flight Sim 2000 and a good computer. Taking over the aircraft with the autopilot engaged, it would be a simple series of tasks to get them to program the autopilot to take them right to their targets and "take over visually".

Security must change, the cockpit doors must change and if we are indeed in a war with these guys, thought must be given to stationing a few protective "troops"  (for lack of a better word) aboard each flight. It sounds crazy, but it is now confirmed that this is absolutely a crazy world.

[ 09-12-2001: Message edited by: Toad ]
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!