Author Topic: JB28 requests books on ACM  (Read 570 times)

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
JB28 requests books on ACM
« on: May 12, 2005, 05:59:47 PM »
form our squad forum, i thought you all would have more input than the few of us..

Although it was a while ago, there was discussions on books on ACM's that were available at Border's Books. Anyone that may know about which ones are the best, i am listening.

My reason for asking is that the first week of June, I will be going to Hawaii, and what better way to spend the 6 1/2 hours of flight time but reading about ACM's.  I am sure the wife and kids won't mind, as a matter of fact, my youngest boy will probably be reading one of the books!  

Besides, as you all know, I can use some help on ACM's and if there was a book on gunnery, hey! If I can't spend time on AH, I might as well work on improving my game.  

I appreciate any and all help that you might be able to give. I know that a few of the members have listed suggested reading on their bio's, but I haven't been successful in finding them.

Thanks again.

<>
I don't know what to put here yet.

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2005, 07:07:18 PM »
The single best book available is Fighter Combat by Robert Shaw... it has diagrams, all kinds of things.  Very good book, in my opinion.

Offline pellik

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2005, 08:29:39 PM »
You're going to want to try stuff so bad after reading those books your whole vacation is going to be wasted yearning to fly.

Offline DieAz

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2005, 07:07:48 AM »
Urchin and Pellik are right.

I might add to books to read;
 First and Last, by Adolf Galland;
 Luftwaffe Fighter Aces, by Mike Spick;
The Blonde Knight of Germany, by Raymond F. Toliver and Trevor J. Constable.

I am going (edit: just ordered) to get; German Fighter Ace: Erich Hartmann : The life story of the World's Highest Scoring Ace, by Ursula Hartmann and (translator) James C. Cable.  
not sure if it has anything worth reading as far as ACMs or Tactics in it.
and just ordered; German Fighter Ace: Hans-Joachim Marseille : The Life Story of the "Star of Africa" (Schiffer Military History)
by Franz Kurowski, Don Cox (Translator)
:D

lol 73, see what ya made me do. :p

oh by the way you can get these books from amazon.com;
just copy and paste titles and name of authors to amazon search.

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2005, 08:07:54 AM »
Short & sweet: "Air To Air Gunfighter" by Geof "Docdoom" Evans, published by Burbank's Books. he also penned, "The Butcherbirds Guide To A Free Lunch" which details the Fokke Wolf 190.

Dmdmax

Offline JB28

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2005, 08:59:33 AM »
You are probably correct Pellik, but no sense in just wasting all that time.  :)

Thanks to all who responded so far.  I have lots of research to do before the trip.

<>
JB28

Offline Virage

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2005, 01:32:26 PM »
Originally posted by Urchin
The single best book available is Fighter Combat by Robert Shaw... it has diagrams, all kinds of things.  Very good book, in my opinion.

Just buy this book.  It is one of the most well written and thorough books on ANY topic that you will find under one cover.

I wish I could read it for the first time again.
JG11

Vater

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2005, 01:38:44 PM »
73, let him know he has a beer on me while he's here.  Assuming he's going to be on Oahu that is.  

Offline JB28

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2005, 12:21:17 AM »
73, let him know he has a beer on me while he's here. Assuming he's going to be on Oahu that is.

Star, unfortunately I will not be going to Oahu.  We are going to be only on Maui.  Won't be on the Big Island either so can't even buy XJ a beer either.

However, if you want to come over to Maui, the brewski's are on me!!!

<>

JB28

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2005, 04:47:27 PM »
28, while you are there, make sure you visit Lindbergh.  He is buried on Maui, and its a nice visit.

Enjoy your stay!  Maui is a beautiful place.

Offline DieAz

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2005, 11:55:57 AM »
German Fighter Ace: Erich Hartmann : The life story of the World's Highest Scoring Ace, by Ursula Hartmann and (translator) James C. Cable.

just got it in , mostly pictures with brief facts. nothing on ACM.

kind of disappointed with it.
its more like a scrap book.

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2005, 12:37:11 PM »
I think I still have a copy of the Navy's ACM manual in .pdf format lying around somewhere....