Author Topic: The Aviator (DVD)  (Read 265 times)

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
The Aviator (DVD)
« on: May 31, 2005, 05:24:49 PM »
I finally got a chance to watch "The Aviator" this week.

I have to admit I'm not up on Howard Hughes lore, but I read I Caught Fies For Howard Hughes decades ago. Safe to say, I've read enough to know that he turned out to be quite the whack job. I just didn't realize he was nuts from the start.

I'll have to say... I've just about had it with Scorsese pictures. They're just too gawdamned long. He could have safely hacked off 45 minutes of this movie and not hurt the story. With the exception of Dicaprio's Hughes and Blanchett's Hepburn, most of the characters seemed like window dressing anyway.

The flight scenes looked great, but I got the impression that Scorsese stole the look and feel of them from Ron Howard (Apollo 13). If this movie came out 10-12 years ago, the special effects would be etched in our minds forever. Today, probably not.

All in all... It was a little more enjoyable the Scorsese's last picture, but I don't think I'll be purchasing this DVD.

I'll give it a 3 of 5.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2005, 05:28:33 PM by Sandman »
sand

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
The Aviator (DVD)
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2005, 05:28:43 PM »
Yea, reviews like yours are what have lept me from watching it.  I've heard the "too long" bit on a few other review sites.

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
The Aviator (DVD)
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2005, 05:46:37 PM »
I sure enjoyed it, myself.  My biggest gripe was how it furthered the whole 'if the engine stops, the airplane immediately falls out of the sky uncontrolled' myth.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
The Aviator (DVD)
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2005, 06:01:24 PM »
Originally posted by Chairboy
I sure enjoyed it, myself.  My biggest gripe was how it furthered the whole 'if the engine stops, the airplane immediately falls out of the sky uncontrolled' myth.

:confused:

The engine didn't stop one of the contra-rotating propellers reversed pitch.

Offline ChickenHawk

• Silver Member
The Aviator (DVD)
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2005, 06:07:36 PM »
I liked it for the most part but agree it went on a bit too long.  Hughes and Hepburn were marvelously portrayed though.

It's too bad OCD wasn't very well understood back then.  They just called you a little eccentric.  Maybe if he understood a little of what was going on he maybe could have delt with his demons a little better.
Do not attribute to malice what can be easily explained by incompetence, fear, ignorance or stupidity, because there are millions more garden variety idiots walking around in the world than there are blackhearted Machiavellis.

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
The Aviator (DVD)
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2005, 11:04:34 PM »
I completely disagree with Sandman.  I loved this movie and the more I watch it the more I like it.  If a movie's good I could care less how long it is.  Howard Hughes was an enigma, plain and simple.  The XF-11 crash scene alone was well worth the price of this DVD let alone DiCaprio and Paltrow's amazing performances.

4 1/2 out of 5 for me.
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
The Aviator (DVD)
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2005, 11:11:05 PM »
I liked it, I do not mind having bought it.

It portrayed HH as a man with no limitations, when he wanted something, even the impossible, he went after it and got it.

The only things that stopped him were  his own demons.

I loved the senate hearings.

I think Leonardo decaprio did a fine job and is a good actor, maybe this film will help break his prettyboy teenybopper image.

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
The Aviator (DVD)
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2005, 11:19:32 PM »
Originally posted by DiabloTX
I completely disagree with Sandman.  I loved this movie and the more I watch it the more I like it.  If a movie's good I could care less how long it is.  Howard Hughes was an enigma, plain and simple.  The XF-11 crash scene alone was well worth the price of this DVD let alone DiCaprio and Paltrow's amazing performances.

4 1/2 out of 5 for me.

Paltrow?

...I must add that it might just be me. I don't have much patience for Scorsese.
sand

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
The Aviator (DVD)
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2005, 11:25:59 PM »
Ooops, sorry, meant Blanchet.

My bad.
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
The Aviator (DVD)
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2005, 11:31:59 PM »
Originally posted by DiabloTX
Ooops, sorry, meant Blanchet.

My bad.

Not a big deal. For a moment, I considered posting pics of the two women, but as a blonde, there's somewhat of a resemblance between the two, I hate to admit.

Nevertheless, Paltrow doesn't seem that attractive to me while Blanchett is just stunning.
sand

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
The Aviator (DVD)
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2005, 11:33:11 PM »
I got about halfway through it before it was due back at the rental.  Just wasn't that good.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
The Aviator (DVD)
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2005, 11:33:48 PM »
Originally posted by Yeager
I got about halfway through it before it was due back at the rental.  Just wasn't that good.

I think they should shoot it again and let Tarantino direct it. :D
sand