Author Topic: just wondering...  (Read 530 times)

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
just wondering...
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2005, 09:11:11 AM »
gixer spewed...

"My stock Gixer could do quater mile in mid to high 10's and hit around 140-145mph how much would you have to spend on a car to get that? "

I could do it for about 5 grand maybe six and with at least 2 people in the car.  

With 4 people I could probly run 13's easy with the car I built for 5 grand..  145 mph is easy.

There were several different grand nationals and at the drags.... stock ones allways ran in the high 13's ... driver didn't have much to do with it.   They were very fast and had good throttle response at most rpm ranges.   They performed better than they should have on paper.

lazs

Offline Torque

• Gold Member
just wondering...
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2005, 06:39:30 AM »
Originally posted by Toad
Yeah, that 2005 Mustang is only a little faster than a 2005 Porsche Boxster for about half the price.

We're really getting gouged on price here. Maybe Ford will cut the price on Mustangs so we get a better deal.

Boxster
0 - 60 (sec): 6.1
1/4 Mile (sec @ mph): 14.30@100.97

aceleration is one thing, it's another to drive day after day for hours on end at 200 kph, and not rattle apart in a few months.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
just wondering...
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2005, 08:20:30 AM »
You drive day after day after day for hours a day at 124 mph? I'm impressed.

And of course Mustangs rattle apart in a few months! EVERYONE knows that. Most Mustang owners replace their cars every 500 miles.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Torque

• Gold Member
just wondering...
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2005, 08:26:55 AM »
climb off that ball slapping nag for a sec there toad, i was referring to the autobahn. i think that's why the boxster is a tad more expensive. the stang is great for american roads as the boxster is for the autobahn.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
just wondering...
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2005, 08:34:52 AM »
don't know about the new ones but the CHP mustangs were capable of driving a long time at 130 mph and... as any mechanic will tell you... they are a very dependable car.   Nothing "falls off" and major mechanical components not only last longer than the boxter but are 5 times cheaper to repalce.  My old 5.0 mustangs seemed very comfortable at 125 mph when I would hold em there for a while on trips through nevada and utah.

I understand the whole autobahn and speed thing with the germans... The cars and bikes are made to drive at clost to their max speed all day long.  My son gave me a BMW bike.. it will only do a little over a hundred but will run at 90 or so all day long with stops for gas I would imagine... it is very smooth and stable at that speed... Like in a groove.  differnet than any other bike I have ridden...  certainly different than any 70's era bike.

lazs

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
just wondering...
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2005, 08:49:14 AM »
There's no denying an underlying difference in design philosophy between German cars and American cars.

However, it'd be fun to do a 100,000 mile test of both cars in both places and add up cost of ownership at the end.

I think the Mustang would compare favorably on price/performance/longevity. It'd lose horribly on snob appeal though.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Callisto

• Copper Member
just wondering...
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2005, 11:11:06 AM »
Originally posted by Gixer
LOL

Bit sensitive today are we? I wasn't comparing to NZ cars I was comparing to just about any sports bike.

My stock Gixer could do quater mile in mid to high 10's and hit around 140-145mph how much would you have to spend on a car to get that?

...-Gixer

:rolleyes: