Author Topic: Profanity filter SUCKS  (Read 3302 times)

Offline mrsid2

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Profanity filter SUCKS
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2001, 08:03:00 AM »
Well the problem (at least for me) is that during combat my mind is focused on survival and the tension brings a different kind of vocabulary..

All this sounds rediculous since its just a computer game..

Eagler: read what you just wrote, think again and tell me that saying toejam online is a valid reason for booting someone. It's ok to say doodle, but not toejam right? Maybe we should change system msg also to say: Your pilot got a boo-boo instead of pilot wound.

But I have to say that lately I've had a few sorties that brought me excitement like those when I started playing WB.

Definately fun.

[ 12-06-2001: Message edited by: Mr RiplEy ]

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Profanity filter SUCKS
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2001, 08:22:00 AM »
Mr Ripley
to think it is one thing, to say it another, to type it still another step.
Personally I don't want to hear or see it and if my wife or child are watching I don't think they need to be exposed to it either. I don't pay a monthly fee to read an individual spewing profanity on my computer screen because he thinks it's cool or supposedly can't "control himself". I think what you should get out of this thread is, no matter how much you think we all want to see how excited & out of control you can get when playing AH, we really don't.
It's just a level of maturity. I may not have had it at your age either.
<S>
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline DamnedBuzzard

• Zinc Member
Profanity filter SUCKS
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2001, 12:23:00 PM »
I think the muting of players who can't control thier profanity is a really good thing. I can understand how, in verbal conversation, a profanity can slip out. That's not true of a typed conversation. One must conciously choose to type in the profanity.

I also like the thought that I can drive some foul mouthed moron to spewing profanity and getting himself muted.

Offline mrsid2

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Profanity filter SUCKS
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2001, 01:33:00 PM »
Eagler: First of all, you have no clue how old I am, do you?

Second, I master the 10-finger typing and I really don't have to spend my time figuring out what and where I want to type something like some of you old-timers seem to do..  :) I type quite as naturally as I speak, multiple years on IRC have taken care of that.

I'm not saying muting the single line consisting the profanity is bad.. What I'm saying that 10 minutes seems excessive for using words which in the end are not that bad at all. No racial slur, no insults etc..

For example I find it MUCH more disturbing to see players shouting studmuffin, cupcake, gook etc. on Ch1. For some reason those words are not filtered it seems.. Very weird to me.

But as someone already said above, enough beating the dead horse and let's move on with this. Profanity filter is not my problem in general, it just happened to hit me on a very bad spot and got me upset.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Profanity filter SUCKS
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2001, 01:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by Mr RiplEy:
Eagler: First of all, you have no clue how old I am, do you?

I'd guess I'm older than you  :) I'd go as far to say my oldest son is probably your age, give or take a few. He's 23.
And when I was younger, I was less mature as most of us were .. that's all I'm stating.
Life's too short to worry about such little things.
<S>
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline rogwar

• Silver Member
Profanity filter SUCKS
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2001, 03:38:00 PM »
FYI, I heard they developed the "nasty" vocabulary database by enlisting the help of a bunch of FDBs to participate in a brainstorming session during one of the last CONs.

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
Profanity filter SUCKS
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2001, 03:56:00 PM »
FYI, I heard they developed the "nasty" vocabulary database by enlisting the help of a bunch of FDBs to participate in a brainstorming session during one of the last CONs.

I've read several reports and studies all proving that it is impossible to have a brainstorming session made up exclusively of FDBs.

AKDejaVu

Offline Cobra

• Nickel Member
Profanity filter SUCKS
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2001, 07:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by rogwar:

Obviously another false urban legend.

Cobra

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
Profanity filter SUCKS
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2001, 07:12:00 PM »
A what session?  Brrraaaaiii...wha?
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
Profanity filter SUCKS
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2001, 03:32:00 AM »
Heh, including naughty words into your vocabulary expands it. I'm all for it.

Some of the most memorable flames on alt.atheism has been made by people with an impressive intellect and even more impressive vocabulary - particularly in the naughty words department.

I prefer the Brit profanity to the US. "Bollocks" is more powerful than "roadkill" to me. Similarly "you motherdiddlyer" isn't as impressive as "you filthy piece of distended rectum!".

Oh well.

Now, all of you, go naked to a BBQ party for blind gays and serve weiners.

Offline rogwar

• Silver Member
Profanity filter SUCKS
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2001, 11:33:00 AM »
Originally posted by AKDejaVu:

I've read several reports and studies all proving that it is impossible to have a brainstorming session made up exclusively of FDBs.

AKDejaVu

I forgot!

They had some AKs there as well and I even think Larry was moderating    :D

FTs were not even permitted access.

and StSanta....

Bet few have heard the expression "Yeah she's a real see you next tuesday".

[ 12-07-2001: Message edited by: rogwar ]

Offline sciflyer

• Zinc Member
Profanity filter SUCKS
« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2001, 01:33:00 AM »
...reminds me of the College here that went (for a while) by the name of 'Curtin University of New Technology'

The letterheads were interesting reading   ;)

Offline MrLars

• Silver Member
Profanity filter SUCKS
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2001, 02:54:00 PM »
Still need a filter for Spanish. There are some people with really foul mouths in Spanish in the MA < and other languages I don't speak I suppose >. These aren't the "heat of battle" kind of stuff but rather more like "See what I can get away with" kind of crap that has no place in AH IMO.