Author Topic: Our dependencies  (Read 766 times)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Our dependencies
« on: September 16, 2001, 09:51:00 AM »
We, in America, have known (whether we think about it or not) most (well, quite a bit) of our oil comes from countries we would know consider destroying.

I live about 2 miles from my office, so for me it is not much of an issue to reconsider using a car.  With that, I have surveyed the bike path it would take to get to the office and, I can't.
So a motorcyle is my next best choice.  No big hog (aka Harley-Davidson type).  Just a simple 500cc-750cc bike.  Gas mileage is much better and emmissions is better.  Also requires less oil for the engine.  Most of the time, here in Texas I can use it.

For those that cannot do without a car (oh ya, we do love out cars), consider using a pure synthetic motor oil.  Mobil 1 is a good one.  A bit expensive, but so will regular oil in the not too distant future.

Just a thought for those that want to be able to do something and have not figured what to do to help.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
Our dependencies
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2001, 01:46:00 PM »
or get one of those new gas/electric hybrids, the gas mileage is 3X that of the most fuel efficient gas car.

Besides, Im quite sure that after this, the gov. will pump money in the way of non-fossil fuel power sources, like those nifty hydrogen fuel cells and their likes. Get rid of the major oil dependency, screw the economy of your enemies and hit em when they are found.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Our dependencies
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2001, 02:01:00 PM »
Skuzzy,

There are other considerations other than driving a vehicle.

Oil is used in EVERY facet of out lives. Plastic, medicines, industry, electricity, food production and transportation to market. The interdependancy is enormous. All industrial operations are affected by it. There would be no artificially made products without it. Your industry will collaps as you will not have insulated wires, pc boards or electronic components.

There is one style of life that I can think of that will allow for a life without petroleum at this time. That is subsistance level farming. Use of animal power to farm and survive. City or urban life as we know it will cease to exist as there will be no way to grow enough to have a surplus for them.

Turning back isn't an option. I agree that cutting back is a good idea but we cannot go back where we used to be. We have to find another way to make up the things we have now to continue an industrial based lifestyle. Another form of power, of creating the things we use and a way to move ourselves around.

Mav
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Our dependencies
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2001, 02:07:00 PM »
Ive been rideing Harleys for 40 years. Im dammed if im going to quit because Washington cant figure out how to deal with a bunch of goat herders.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
Our dependencies
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2001, 02:11:00 PM »
Mav,..I was directly talking about what we, as individuals can do to help.  I was not addressing the overall global aspects this could impact.
Sure,..if everyone in America switched to using synthetic lubricants only in thier automobiles, we would probably only save about one million barrels of crude per month, but it is a start.

I am just brain storming ideas we can all participate in.

You have any to share?  Go for it.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
Our dependencies
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2001, 02:13:00 PM »
We'll never know till we try. We have access to oil from nations that do not sponsor or harbor terrorists.

It will be expensive. We also have our own reserves, should the tree huggers decide human security is more important than a spotted fediddlein owls.

We'll find out soon enuf if the nation is willing to pay the price... all across the board.
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
Our dependencies
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2001, 02:14:00 PM »
Heya easymo,..was not meaning to be negative about Hogs,..Up to about 5 years ago, I rode motorcyles exclusively.
When I hit my one million mile accident free mark, I retired the two-wheeler, figuring the odds were probably going to close in on me.
I miss the bike and the community I rode with.  You keep toolin easymo.  Just drop some synthetic oil in that hog and smile.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Our dependencies
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2001, 02:16:00 PM »
:)

Offline Tuomio

• Nickel Member
Our dependencies
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2001, 02:37:00 PM »
Hemp oil, hemp oil! *rants*

Offline Ddriag

• Zinc Member
Our dependencies
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2001, 02:39:00 PM »
I have survived as a biker for many, many years, grasshopper. I have survived my parents, getting married and the birth of kid #1. kid #2 has made me think a bit and maybe when the Beemer explodes I will quit. I have said this because I have consumed a bottle of Rioja. My main point is... Buy a scooter. A modern scooter will do 75mph, out accelerate the average car and everyone will think you are a young teenager. Oh, and they do about 175mpg. If you Murricans end up paying as much as we do for petrol then I definately recommend a scooter.

Scooter (n): small 2 wheel vehicle with automatic transmission and small engine. Modern models have disc brakes and coooool bits of plastic bodywork.

Offline Mickey1992

• Gold Member
Our dependencies
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2001, 03:01:00 PM »
Earlier this year I looked into taking the bus instead of driving.  Unfortunately, I reverse-commute and my 25 minute drive out of downtown to work would take me 90 minutes by bus.  I would have to be at the bus stop at the time that I currently get out of bed.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Our dependencies
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2001, 03:44:00 PM »
As someone stated in a previous post, "to the victor goes the spoils"...

Once it is/if determined that Iran/Iraq are behind this - one of the terms for surrender should be a $$ amount for the real estate destroyed/damaged in NY and DC, $$ compensation for the victims and their families and all the oil we can burn for the unforeseen future!
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Greese

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.geocities.com/greese125
Our dependencies
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2001, 05:18:00 PM »
I agree that we need to cut back on our oil useage.  That way, we can not be so dependant on foreign oil.  
     Now, my solution to this is as follows.  Convert existing cars, and implement into new cars, into using Ethanol instead of petroleum.  Then, expand the FDB Distillery in Salem, OR.  to become the nations new energy supplier.  Might create a dependency on something else, though... :P

-Greese

[ 09-17-2001: Message edited by: Greese ]