Author Topic: GROWL: Grand Prix Legends Online Warbird League  (Read 822 times)

Offline Pjmy

• Banned
  • Zinc Member
GROWL: Grand Prix Legends Online Warbird League
« on: June 25, 2001, 09:15:00 PM »

Our first GROWL season is coming to an end with only final two races at Watkins Glen and Mexico left on the schedule.  I think I can say that everyone has had a blast and the racing has been fun and competitive.  

We are still looking for a few good men...so if you've never tried online GPL racing, now is the time to get addicted to a simulation again!  Come on out for the last two races and you'll never leave.

GROWL's Home at DoK GonZo's Legendary Portal

If you're wondering who's been driving GROWL this season, maybe you know some of these pilots?

Cabby
Daff
DoK
Pjmy
Buzzbe
Dslick
bljk
lama
banana
vlasov
mag44
dracon

...to name but a few.

We even have a full GROWL results page:   GROWL Seasons and Standings

And if you feel like you've missed out on this season, our 2nd season is just around the corner and features some of the amazing new "Classic Circuits" that have been created by the members of the GPL community:

Imola, Indianapolis, Le Mans, Riverside, Brands Hatch...

EVERYONE WELCOME...just bring your enthusiasm and love of Formula 1 racing circa 1967!!!

Jimmy Whye (Cooper-Maserati)
WB: Pjmy 401 RCAF Rams

Offline Spitboy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2001, 12:01:00 AM »
Just curious here - I finally snagged GPL and have been trying it out. I have a Logitech Wingman wheel - not force feedback. How much does force feedback in a wheel help? I can't even finish a lap with other racers - I need all the help I can get  :)

Offline Westy MOL

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2001, 09:58:00 AM »
"I can't even finish a lap with other racers - I need all the help I can get"

lol. same here. Tail end Charlie, expert in the wipeout, is my moniker.

Westy

[ 06-26-2001: Message edited by: Westy MOL ]

Offline Wanker

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2001, 03:38:00 PM »
Practice, practice, practice.  :)

Seriously, that's what it takes. You also need to stop using the default setups that come with the game, and instead download car setups that players in the community have created. You'd be astounded at the difference a good setup can make.

And yes, force feedback in GPL simply rocks. It gives you subtle and not so subtle indications that help you be a better driver.

It takes a whole day pretty much to setup the game, and download and install everything you'll need, from custom car sets and scenery upgrades, to the WinVROC software to race online, but it's worth every minute. If you're serious about joining, go to DoKGonzo's BBS above and we'll answer any questions you might have.  

Johnny Bax
Honda Motorsports

Offline Cobra

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2001, 05:04:00 PM »
I ordered from Amazon on Monday.

Hopefully it will get here before the weekend so I can set it up.

Then, banana Johnson, its me and you and a crapload of dimes.

Cobra

Offline Wanker

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2001, 07:54:00 AM »
Hehe, Cobra Johnson!

If you get everything up by Saturday that would be great. I'll show you the ropes on the special Rock Ridge course.  ;)

Offline janjan

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2001, 01:36:00 AM »
Hi,

Would love to join and I know many other fellow Europeans as well, but...

Still only US time races?

Offline blur

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2001, 07:30:00 AM »
YESSS!

I finally hit a Papyrus benchmark at Mexico City with a 01:50.43 in the Lotus, 0.050 seconds under. I see this track frequently mentioned along with Monaco as people's least favorite so it seems somewhat ironic a newbie like me would hit my first benchmark here.

Is there some kind of cash prize, award ceremony or certificate for doing this?  ;)

Offline Cobra

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2001, 04:13:00 PM »
banana,
It has arrived and I've downloaded all that I could.

I hope I got it all set up right.

Lets Rumble!

Cobra

Offline hazed-

• Gold Member
      • http://combatarena.users.btopenworld.com
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2001, 11:36:00 AM »
spitboy when setting up your car keep everything symetrical untill you get better at the game try this for the ferrari

set front wheel camber to -.50  or -.25both sides
set rear to -.50 or -.25
set roll bars front and back to much higher than default..eg if front is 80 and rear 90 set them to 180 and 190
knock up the lbs in the springs too but keep it symetrical
set front toe in to .125 or more (to your own taste)
forget ride heights etc for now.
this will set your car up well for most tracks and wont be too twitchy so you can concentrate on the gearing
this is why you are so far behind, the gearing is much too long for most courses in the default and im guessing you like me knew nothing of how the ratio stuff works and are not consistant enough to read what your changes do right?  :D
well heres a simple guideline
if you are on a fast course like watkins the only time you need the top gear is on the long straight just after the start so your top gear should be hitting rev limit as you finish this straight.this means that you can shorten all the gears a lot more to get better acceleration as top gear is hardly ever used on this track
my settings are
ramp 85/45
diff ratio 8/31
clutches 1

gears  
1st 8.857:1
2nd 6.610:1
3rd 5.711:1
4th 5.351:1
5th 4.593:1

the higher the number the shorter that gear.
so my top gear is 4.593:1  which is very short but any more is wasted because you run out of road  :D
if you look at my set up i have a fairly short 1st  then into a longer 2nd then 3rd gear and 4th are very close to enable very hard acceleration. my 3rd gear is what i generally corner in(fast corners) and i have it quite short because i like to be revvy in corners so i can get out fast.

in your early days make sure you do all your braking before the corners and set gears so you accelerate fast.this way you are fast everywhere but in the corners and you can gradually increase speed in corners as you get better.having a fast accelerating car will help you keep with the pack even if you are slower in corners.I hope this helps but bear in mind ive only just started to challenge the front runners and my settings are far from perfect but what i have learned is get the car stable for most corners first then go very short with the gearing(high numbers) then if you find your hitting the limiter on long straights lower your top gear(smaller number) and space your other gears to accomodate the new setting.

try it out

Offline Pegasus

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2001, 07:51:00 AM »
Great fun last Saturday, or early Sunday morning for me.
Was a blast, 16 drivers turned up for qualifying and the race, though that many cars and a twisty track like Watkins we all had our good and bad moments, the reply was great to watch.
Last race of season 1 this saturday in Mexico
Season 2 starts July 21st and promises to be even better.

Come and join us for some 1967 vintage fun.

Regards,

Pegasus
aka Belgar

Offline Wanker

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2001, 09:29:00 AM »
Wow, blur, 1:50 at Mexico! Great stuff.

I've been grinding away there for two solid days now and can only muster a 1:58. Although, I am driving the Honda, so that big slug is hard to throw around those esses. This is my last ride in the Honda, I'll be racing a new car for season two. Hehe this last race of the season is going to be interesting.

Btw, any of you reading this, ask some of the new guys what it was like at their first GROWL race, waiting on the grid with the other 16 cars, everyone revving their engines for the start. The tension is so thick you could cut it with a knife!  :D

Johnny Bax
Honda Motorsports

Offline Cobra

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2001, 02:41:00 PM »
banana Johnson is Right!

This GPL is a Blast!

We had 16 on the grid for The Glenn....man the start was intense, waiting for the flag to drop, hearing all these engines revving.

I now have a wheel, and although I've only had this wheel for a day and the game for a week, its getting scary addictive.

BTW, banana, I'm pulled down a 1:56 at Mexico today in the Red Machine  :)

Lets team-up for season 2  :)

Cobra

Offline Wanker

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2001, 03:04:00 PM »
Cobra Johnson is right!  :D

Sheesh, 1:56? Man, I gotta get me a different car!

Maybe I'll just go get a toejam load of dimes instead.

Hey sounds good, Cobra Johnson, we could open the Rock Ridge Racing team next season, and hire Hedly Lamarr as our team manager.