Author Topic: Sign of the times in Seattle: (Warning:sensitive issue thread)  (Read 1909 times)

Offline ispar

• Nickel Member
      • http://None :-)
Sign of the times in Seattle: (Warning:sensitive issue thread)
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2001, 10:36:00 PM »
Well, if you ask me, profiling does exist to an extent - no getting around that. But it's being used as a way for the black community to cry "foul!" now. Many situations are merely probably cause - maybe they're more likely to get noticed, but if they get caught doing something illegal, who cares?

We run into this all the time now; minorities often automatically assume that when something happens to them, it must be because of profiling and/or racism. An example: My mother was at the laundromat. This Hispanic woman and her two daughters had grabbed all of the machines, because they apparently just HAD to get done five minutes faster than they would if they shared. My mother asked the woman working at the laundromat at the time to secure a dryer or two for her so she could get it done. As she walked away she overheard one of them saying "Americano es bueno," obviously in a sarcastic tone of voice. Sorry lady. It was because you were being a macho-squeak, NOT because you are Hispanic.

Get a grip, people.

Offline texace

• Silver Member
      • http://www.usmc.mil
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2001, 01:49:00 AM »
I use this simple rule. I am not a cop, but I have friends who are. If I am in a situation (I'm the cop) and the suspect has a weapon (be he white, black, red, purple, whatever) I will treat him a as threat and attempt to get him to surrender. If he raises his weapon at me or fellow officers, he's going down, no matter what he intends to do with it. If I get accused of "racial profiling" then I'll ignore it, because I know I did my job the way I was trained to do it, and if they don't like it, tough. BTW, I try not to stereotype people IRL. I work in a grocery store and I see all sorts of people from all different races. I don't make assumptions on their personality at first glance. I have met many friendly black people, as well as Hispanic, Chinese, and English/British. Same thing goes on the police force. You try not to stereotype.

It don't matter who he is, if he's breaking the law or brandishing a weapon, I will do my job the way I was trained.....

[ 06-27-2001: Message edited by: texace ]

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2001, 04:13:00 AM »
Eagler,

You come out sounding like an racist, djust thought i let you know...
Warbirds handle : nr-1 //// -nr-1- //// Maniac

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2001, 05:30:00 AM »
Originally posted by Maniac:
Eagler,

You come out sounding like an racist, djust thought i let you know...

Now your profiling me  :)

Not a racist, just sick of the ongoing reverse discrimination. Trash comes in all colors/nationalities.

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2001, 06:06:00 AM »
Heh it goes both ways, I must say.

Anyone with any experience in "ethnic" gangs or groups will know such a one tend to be more biggoted than the average person.

In the US ghettos in areas where the majority of the population is African American, it'd be odd if a few weren't checked out.

That being said, I've heard that the rather harsh environment police officers live and work in tend to make them a little cynical and pragmatic, and I guess they're betting on the odds.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2001, 07:34:00 AM »
Originally posted by Eagler:

Not a racist, just sick of the ongoing reverse discrimination.
Eagler

Unfortunately, this can CAUSE racism amongst whites, those who were "Rainbow Oriented" can start turning alittle racist when they see another ethnic group taking advantage of the system...sad, but true..I'm with you Eagler.

Offline Yoj

• Copper Member
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2001, 11:48:00 AM »
I have to say that I agree with the basic theme of this thread - as I see it, "Racial Profiling" has become a catch phrase, and it gets used inappropriately.  If people are committing a crime and are observed by the police, the police have an obligation to do something, and race has nothing to do with it.

Lets not forget, though, where the phrase came from - for example, the notorious case (and far from the only one) of a black woman who was stopped on the freeway, searched and found to be carrying a large sum of cash.  The police then said it "must" be drug money and confiscated the money and the car.  The woman was, in fact, fairly well off and was carrying the cash for legitimate reasons.  She never was charged with any traffic violation.  Why was she stopped?  Because she "fit the profile" of someone involved with drugs.  By the way, the last I heard, she still had not gotten her money returned, though they did return her car.

My point is, while the words "racial profiling" might get bandied about when they don't apply, the term was invented by the police themselves, and the concept has been used to deal unfairly with people who were NOT seen committing crimes.  So, by all means lets deal reasonably with crime, but lets not get to the point where every person of color is automatically assumed to be a criminal.  I own a nice car - I'd like to feel that I can drive it around without the assumption that I stole it or bought it by selling crack.  If I'm seen breaking a law, stop me - otherwise, leave me alone.

- Yoj

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2001, 11:56:00 AM »
I love it! Theyl get exactly what they ask for those stupid arrogant race-obsesed idiots.  Im gonna sing and dance when their apperently revitalizing neighborhhod goes to toejam with no police around.

I love it!  

Very very sad...........

Offline 10Bears

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2001, 12:45:00 PM »
Originally posted by GRUNHERZ:
I love it! Theyl get exactly what they ask for those stupid arrogant race-obsesed idiots.

The beer bellied rednecks?

Im gonna sing and dance when their apperently revitalizing neighborhhod goes to toejam with no police around.

The southern trailer parks?

I love it!

I hate it  

Very very sad...........

Indeed

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2001, 02:09:00 PM »
<shared in a humorous mood...dont get all fired up, its funny, really!>

....reminds me of the days after before graduation and I'm talking to one of the high school guidance couselors.  The schools I like all require a lot of financial aid and/or grants.  Being white, and my folks jointly made about $60K or so, we were told they made too much for me to get any meaningful financial aid.  Couldn't qualify for many programs since I wasn't Indian, a single teen mom and you know the long long list of "minorities we'll help" kinda crap.  So I bluntly asked "Are there any groups out there that stick up for ordinary hard working white folks?"  He chuckled and said "I think only the KKK is still around, but I wouldn't want that on my transcript!"

Remember the key to life in these days of race cards and "What, me be responsible" is personal responsibility.  You see it everyday on the news, in every corner of America.  If people can deflect blame or play the victim before a camera, they sure as toejam will.

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2001, 02:55:00 PM »
10bears have you no appreciation of subtlety?

I was making a sarcastic remark.

By deamonizing the police all the people will get will be criminals who are not afraid of them and give them one more weapon to commit crimes with.  

As for them being race-obseesed idiots I fully stand on that one.

When pepole tie ethninc identity to political identity and political issues you always get a bad result no matter what society you are in.

In my home country we took that to great extent and proceeded to kill 250,000 of each other, make millions homeless, create a mess for the world community, and its still a problem in every day politcs.

What country is this? Take guess which little southern European nation blew itself up over "ethinc" conflicts.

It all started when we begain blaiming everything that went bad in our lives because the "other" ethnic group had control of this and that, or they did this and that to us 500 years ago.

This stupidid racist demonizing of police is no different, people will begin to hate them resent them and disrespect them even more.  Then thery wont give a diddly and the neighborhood will g to toejam.

Then the racist demogaugues in the community will just reblame the racist police because they "abandoned" the community and are not enforcing laws  arresting criminals and fighting crime.

You know this is exactly where its heading to...

They should ALL just diddlying stop and start seeing peole as individuals not some sort of "group" members.

Offline Yoj

• Copper Member
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2001, 03:39:00 PM »
Of course they should.  But you know as well as I that those things are reinforced through the group from day one.  Not long ago you could see eight year old Irish kids throwing rocks at British soldiers for the "600 years of oppression" - as though they understood anything about it.  Racial, religious and other biases are implanted early and deep - and they are reinforced by the things the people see in their lives, some of it imagined and some quite real.  Saying people should give up those biases and stop being stupid is like saying they ought to grow wings.

- Yoj

[ 06-27-2001: Message edited by: Yoj ]