Author Topic: Disco every 30 min  (Read 293 times)

Offline BTAirsol

• Copper Member
Disco every 30 min
« on: August 04, 2005, 10:12:14 AM »
Since patch 5 I am disco king like Saturday Night Fever. I posted information in questionair but this is getting old. I am eithernet DSL, running explorer and load power profiler in msconfig. Run AdAware and spybot search and destroy shows 9-10 process running. 128mg ram windows ME fx5200 Nvidea 128. No fire wall or Norton 2005 off to play. Only thing running is team speak for radio communication with squad. When I get discoed, I have to reboot since it shuts down my connection. Help me!

Offline BTAirsol

• Copper Member
Disco every 30 min
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2005, 01:41:08 PM »
I cleaned my video driver and reload it. That seemed to stop the every 1/2 hour disco. The first disco after this process was 1/2 hour. I then logged and came back in and did not disco, I played for 2 hours then logged. Yesterday played 2 hours est and no disco but noticed some lag. 128 mg is small amount to play on this game. I will upgrade to 256 or 512 mg ram see what happens.

Offline BUG_EAF322

• Gold Member
      • http://bug322.startje.com
Disco every 30 min
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2005, 01:15:48 PM »
128 mb should be enough

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
Disco every 30 min
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2005, 01:35:25 PM »
Originally posted by BUG_EAF322
128 mb should be enough

Depends very much on the settings he's using.  With a 128MB video card (which by the way is NOT much for gaming), its going to depend heavily on what his max texture size is, graphics card settings, etc.  Unless absolutely everything is turned down to the minimum (and maybe even then), his video card is going to be looking for somewhere to swap texture files to and from.  With only 128MB of RAM, he's barely going to have any left just with Windows running.  That means its going to be hitting the hard drive for virtual memory pretty heavily.  Hard drive is alot slower than RAM.  Plus if there is any fragmentation at all on the hard drive, thats going to slow it down more.  Then of course you figure that the more file swapping you have to do, and the more often you have to dump the RAM and refresh it with new info, the more likely you are to corrupt some of the data and cause a lockup of a program or even the operating system.  

128MB of RAM is not enough for a gaming computer.  It may work.  It will never work well.

Oh, and dont forget that he's using Windows ME, which is not the best at managing resources.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2005, 01:37:39 PM by StarOfAfrica2 »