Author Topic: Win 2000 worm?  (Read 234 times)

Offline P0G0

• Zinc Member
Win 2000 worm?
« on: August 16, 2005, 05:39:06 PM »
just recieved notice from our IT department that a worm is shutting down comps running win2000 but gave no more info ceptin to be careful.. has anyone seen info for this?

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
Win 2000 worm?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2005, 05:46:11 PM »
CNN is reporting it.  A blog I read (http://www.jerrypournelle.com) mentioned it a week ago, and microsoft has had a patch available for a while.

My understanding is that it's yet another known vulnerability that's going to crush anyone who didn't bother to keep their system(s) patched.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
Win 2000 worm?
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2005, 06:54:29 PM »
As I understand it the worm has to be "carried in" to the LAN on a laptop, the number of laptops that run W2k is not huge these days so I'd guess reports of its potency are overinflated.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
Win 2000 worm?
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2005, 10:00:05 PM »
While overall not a funny thing I haveta admit I was amused when I heard the guy on CNN taking about how their computers have been infected with this virus.

You mean to tell me a multi billion dollar conglomerate like CNN is still running Win 2000?
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
Win 2000 worm?
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2005, 10:15:41 PM »
A LOT of companies do not like XP at all, and stuck with 2000 Pro. I'm running 2000 Pro myself, because I despise XP.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
Win 2000 worm?
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2005, 10:37:01 PM »
Whats stupid is these large corporates which have obviously have no firewall functionality on their laptops, no proper security policies in place, and finally no IDP functionality within their networks.

In this day and age you should not be getting worms, there are plenty of methods to mitigate the threat.

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
Win 2000 worm?
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2005, 11:15:27 PM »
Originally posted by Vulcan
Whats stupid is these large corporates which have obviously have no firewall functionality on their laptops, no proper security policies in place, and finally no IDP functionality within their networks.

In this day and age you should not be getting worms, there are plenty of methods to mitigate the threat.

Yep. You can shoot the IT, toss the laptop in the paper shredder and actually try working with human interface devices...  a phone, a secretary and a rolodex.

*shudder*

Never mind.
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.