Author Topic: Hard lockups  (Read 287 times)

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
Hard lockups
« on: August 21, 2005, 06:32:11 PM »
Since the last patch I have been getting hard lockups. Game locks up and I cant ALT-ESC or ALT-CTRL-DEL I have to hit the reset button. It always happens when switching views, if I am looking around the game will hang in one view. I can hear sounds like engine and wind or if there was a VOX transmission I can hear that repeating in a short (maybe 1/2 to 1 second) loop over and over.

I have not changed any hardware or software in over 6 months, with the last thing I added being a new power supply. Before this started happening my machine had never locked up playing AH in two years, it was stable as you could ask for. I have tried new drivers for everything in the system, rolled back to the old ones and nothing seems to make a difference.

System specs

Asus P4S800
Northwood P4 3.0
1G PC3200 (no-name but its worked fine till now)
BFG 6800 128M AGP Omega and nVidia drivers

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
Hard lockups
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2005, 05:37:59 AM »
I have the same problem from time to time. I thought it was just me and some other software I had installed and was eliminating them one by one to see if the problem stopped.

It seems to be a keystroke/view combination for me also. Especially if I'm quickly changing views in a dog fight or if I pop-up the map while looking in another direction I'll freeze. Sometimes the game continues about 30 seconds later, sometimes I have to hard re-boot.

Edit: I've also been trying to catch the exact moment it happens so I can duplicate it with no luck so far.
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
Hard lockups
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2005, 06:58:13 AM »
Try the basics first; kill the adware with AdAware, Sybot, ect, download EasyCleaner and clean out your registry, and make sure textures are being preloaded.

To me, it seems like when your computer goes to access the texture for something when you shift your had, it can't find it fast enough, or maybe another reason, and locks up.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
Hard lockups
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2005, 09:26:19 AM »
Originally posted by OOZ662
Try the basics first; kill the adware with AdAware, Sybot, ect, download EasyCleaner and clean out your registry, and make sure textures are being preloaded....
When I run AH, all anti-virus software, etc is turned off. And I preload all textures and skins when AH starts.
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
Hard lockups
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2005, 10:25:54 AM »
Originally posted by NHawk
When I run AH, all anti-virus software, etc is turned off. And I preload all textures and skins when AH starts.

That really doesn't matter is adware is begging for CPU time and internet access while you're trying to fly.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
Hard lockups
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2005, 05:03:47 AM »
Originally posted by OOZ662
That really doesn't matter is adware is begging for CPU time and internet access while you're trying to fly.
I have no adware, never have. Never will. My system is cleaned weekly whether it needs it or not.

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
Hard lockups
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2005, 11:55:16 AM »
I suspect that my power supply is going bad, it is deffinately not a driver or virus/adware issue. Probably just be a coincedence that it started around the time of the last AH patch.