Author Topic: Setup for September 2  (Read 813 times)

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Setup for September 2
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2005, 05:43:25 PM »
Originally posted by Soulyss
P-38?

:)

See my earlier comment regarding emphasis on Brit ops.

- oldman

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Setup for September 2
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2005, 06:39:08 PM »
Maybe the Mosquito Mk VI.  It was used in ever larger numbers from mid-1943 all the way to post war.  As it stands there are more American aircraft than British aircraft.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

storch

Setup for September 2
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2005, 07:05:20 PM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: September 05, 2005, 03:38:15 PM by Skuzzy »

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
Setup for September 2
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2005, 07:03:04 PM »
Could I paint little roundy thingies on the wings and fly it then?

:)
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Crumpp

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Setup for September 2
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2005, 11:21:12 PM »
The P47M was reserved exclusively for the   defense of England against the V1.  It was specifically designed for this task.  It saw limited production using a highly modified R-2800-57 with special fuel and additives.

Only one Group used them in limited numbers for a specific task.  It never saw combat against the LW dayfighters AFAIK.

All the best,

Crumpp

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Setup for September 2
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2005, 12:25:59 PM »
Originally posted by Crumpp
The P47M was reserved exclusively for the   defense of England against the V1.  It was specifically designed for this task.  It saw limited production using a highly modified R-2800-57 with special fuel and additives.

Only one Group used them in limited numbers for a specific task.  It never saw combat against the LW dayfighters AFAIK.

All the best,

Crumpp

56th had them, Crumpp, and used them over Germany.

- oldman

Offline Crumpp

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Setup for September 2
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2005, 01:16:00 PM »
56th had them, Crumpp, and used them over Germany.

The 56th was the only group to operate them.  

While some were delivered in 1945 they had serious problems that did not get worked out until the wars end.

The performance of the YP-47M was excellent, with a top speed of 761 km/h (473 mi/h), and the variant was put into limited production. While it is commonly thought that the P-47M was a specific counter to the threat of German V-1 pulsejet missiles, project dates disprove this; work began on the YP-47M before the first V-1 attacks. 130 P-47Ms were built, with the first arriving in Europe in early 1945. However, the type suffered serious teething problems in the field due to the highly-tuned engine, and by the time the bugs were worked out, the war in Europe was over.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P-47_Thunderbolt

The production P-47M fighters did not reach operational status until after many of the V-1 launch sites were over-run by Allied ground forces. Deployed to 3 squadrons of the 56th Fighter Group, the new fighter likely did not chase very many flying bombs. Inasmuch as most aviation historians claim that the P-47M was designed specifically to intercept the V-1, it will come as a surprise to them to learn that the prototype existed more than a year before the first V-1 was launched at Britain. Moreover, the P-47D, deployed in large numbers, was certainly fast enough to overtake the V-1. It was only coincidence that the XP-47M and the R-2800 C series engines were available when the V-1's began falling on London.

The new M models also suffered a fair amount of teething troubles. The C series engines suffered from high altitude ignition leaks and burned pistons. The 56th kept many of their older D models until the new M had its bugs corrected.

http://www.cradleofaviation.org/history/aircraft/p-47/7.html

P47M: January 1945 - September 1945

http://www.halesworthairfieldmuseum.org.uk/56thgroup/statistics.php

With the constant rush of wartime production, complete testing was sometimes not undertaken. What worked under hasty factory testing would not function under operational conditions. This, unfortunately, was true with the P-47M. M model pilots were horrified to find their engines stopping completely or cutting in and out once they reached cruising altitude. Missions were hastily aborted and maintenance men were puzzled. Other engine problems began to manifest themselves, including corrosion and low cylinder head temperatures which affected the correct operation of the engine. The problem soon grew to nightmare proportions when it became obvious that every P-47M operated by the 56th was stricken with the same problem.

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3901/is_200410/ai_n9438499

The operational dates are conflicting.  Most have Republic developing semi-reliable fixes in April 1945.  Many sources say the type never saw combat  while others claim it conducted unopposed armed recons the last two days of the war.

I think the He-162 would be just as appropriate for the game.  In fact it would be much more appropriate as it actually fired shots in anger.

All the best,

Crumpp

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
Setup for September 2
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2005, 01:58:01 PM »
This debate is an example of one where I would in the past have come down on the side of Crumpp and be opposed to the P-47M (N) being included. However, since there is never any more than 5-10 people in the CT anymore, its a rather moot point. Furthermore, since the N is not upsetting to playbalance, I say put it in if it brings one more person to try the set.

IMO we should be less date specific and base the setups more on plane matchups folks want to see.

Offline Crumpp

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Setup for September 2
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2005, 02:05:44 PM »
Furthermore, since the N is not upsetting to playbalance,

I did not realize there was balance! ;)

Since taking a 3 week break it seems that much of the LW inventory is just a shape for the amusement of players in "allied" planes.

Perhaps we should replace them with Yellow Rubber Ducks instead of wasting the computer space for shapes that are supposed to represent different planes!

:rofl

I agree on the match up suggestion, Grits.  Sad thing is that with the exception of few points in time the airwar in Europe was remarkably balanced.

All the best,

Crumpp

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
Setup for September 2
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2005, 04:58:41 PM »
Dont get me wrong, I think the P-47's as a whole, and the N in particular kick arse, but I dont think it will upset playbalance. I'd be quite happy to meet a P-47N in a G-10, D-9, or a 152, they can hold their own if flown correctly. Most people would take the P-51, Spit 14, or Tempest in this set instead of the N I would guess.

The way to handle this as I said before is just say:

"This week we feature (plane w and x) vs (plane y and z) and we will use (xx map)"

That way you can hand pick the best matchups so its fun for everyone instead of a very finely focused time period which leads to "oh, that plane was not there yet".

storch

Setup for September 2
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2005, 07:44:05 PM »
grits i just logged to eat supper at frau storch's insistance I'm leaving phenomenal FIGHTS WITH 14 PEOPLE ON.  stop by from time to time.

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
Setup for September 2
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2005, 03:54:08 AM »
no 110G?
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner