Author Topic: WWII OnLine video  (Read 636 times)

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
WWII OnLine video
« on: December 14, 2000, 05:36:00 PM »

Offline -lynx-

• Copper Member
WWII OnLine video
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2000, 09:38:00 AM »
Hmmmm... Really don't understand the excitement. I've seen the movies at the Eurocon. I saw this... Hmmm...

Half-life mods look better from the grunts point of view. AH looks better on flying front. WWIIOL looks better on tank and vehicle animation (than AH) but it's not ground-breaking stuff... Hmmm...

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
WWII OnLine video
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2000, 09:57:00 AM »
Think about frame rates of half life with all planes and blahblah in arena with some 500x500 mile scale  

I don't look that much into graphics, I look for the quality of game itself.
I've seen too many those graphic l33t games that are as bad games as tetris.
WWIIOL Doesn't look that bad at all, more likely interesting - if it also works.

Offline -lynx-

• Copper Member
WWII OnLine video
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2000, 03:46:00 PM »
Fishu - do you really think you're gonna be bothered what's happening in the arena 500 miles away from you? Let's get real, current MA is too big for planes doing 300+ kts. Grunts? Tanks? All out war? 500x500 miles? I'd like to see it. I really would...

Oh - btw, have you ever tried HL in an arena of 500x500 miles? I didn't think so either. Where's the fps data from then?

p.s. I have to give you that Tetris is quite far from aircombat sims (although them bricks do sorta fly there ). But as a game it's probably one of the greatest things ever

[This message has been edited by -lynx- (edited 12-16-2000).]

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
WWII OnLine video
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2000, 08:58:00 PM »
I don't like how in WW2Ol you will have to BUY the game in some store THEN pay to play it as well.

Seems  a lot like the corporate money-grubbing mentality from a certain "other" sim.

Aside from corporate decisions, the game looks interesting if they can pull it off--but I wouldn't be pleased with it until they have P-40's or P-51's available.

J_A_B

funked

WWII OnLine video
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2000, 09:07:00 PM »
JAB they are going to have to be money grubbers.  They appear to have blown an order of magnitude more cash on development than HTC.

Offline GrinBird

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.aasvk.dk
WWII OnLine video
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2000, 09:25:00 PM »
Tetris was the game, and still is. I later got a 3D version of it called Blockout that was cool and it ran completely smooth on my 8Mhz 8086 XT. I later tried to run it on my 386SX 16Mhz but it just said blypblypblyp and the game was over. I wonder how it would be on a 550 Mhz PIII?

------------------
GrinBird

[This message has been edited by GrinBird (edited 12-18-2000).]

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
WWII OnLine video
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2000, 09:30:00 PM »

Originally posted by -lynx-:
Fishu - do you really think you're gonna be bothered what's happening in the arena 500 miles away from you? Let's get real, current MA is too big for planes doing 300+ kts. Grunts? Tanks? All out war? 500x500 miles? I'd like to see it. I really would...

Oh - btw, have you ever tried HL in an arena of 500x500 miles? I didn't think so either. Where's the fps data from then?

p.s. I have to give you that Tetris is quite far from aircombat sims (although them bricks do sorta fly there  ). But as a game it's probably one of the greatest things ever  

Ummh... I don't even know how big arenas those are, that was just a random guess.

I guess you just want to critize if you took my post that literally (or lacking something)

I havent ever played HL, besides its a different game with different graphics/multiplay engine and so on forth...
(and I said "think about it", not "do so" or "have you done so")
Can't you speculate at all?

Who said that I was talking about flight sims with tetris? (I thought you had read me literally?)
But look around, you'll see many games with good graphics and alot more, but as games.. those can be bad.

Ps. imho, tetris is a bad game.

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
WWII OnLine video
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2000, 09:31:00 PM »

Originally posted by J_A_B:
Aside from corporate decisions, the game looks interesting if they can pull it off--but I wouldn't be pleased with it until they have P-40's or P-51's available.

TheWobble

WWII OnLine video
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2000, 03:22:00 AM »
I dl'd all the videos and read the specs from ww2 OL and all i have to say is that AH 1.05 better be DAMN sweet......cause the compitition is lookin mighty sweet.

Have ya seen the vid of the spit strafing the colum of vehicles, pretty sweet.

Offline -lynx-

• Copper Member
WWII OnLine video
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2000, 06:56:00 AM »
Yeah wobble, I saw that video during Eurocon in November. Funny that - all WB guys were salivating over the possibility to strafe moving things and I had a film of me in a SPit strafing Panzers during Afrika Corps Frame 3. It was taken a week before the con... There was another film shown too - with moving control surfaces...

I must be missing something big time but I fail to see where WW2OL is so much better than, say AH?

Gameplay? It needs hundreds of people online at any time doing things they're supposed to do (spot the difference between "supposed to do" and "fancy doing").

Graphics? Apart form gorgeous FT's trademarked plane textures - it's no biggie...

It's such a massive undertaking that I really can't see it all working. Of course, I might be wrong and there are thousands of people out there who just can't wait to be infantrymen and march around with a rifle and die to any stray bullet that comes along. Who knows?

TheWobble

WWII OnLine video
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2000, 09:41:00 AM »
I just think it will be fun when yer board to get yer infintryman and a rifle and go try to shoot down a spit