Author Topic: Flyin Styro  (Read 391 times)

Offline AcId

• Silver Member
Flyin Styro
« on: September 29, 2005, 11:09:19 AM »
GF bought me the FW190 (flying styro) model. It seems a lot more detailed than the Alfa models AC of which I have their F4U-1. I havent assembled that one yet but it looks like it will be only a fraction of the work. The 190 has many detail options to choose from and you can build the F2 or A8 version. There is also an option to fabricate a sliding canopy, it takes a lot of work and looks good but I wouldnt recommend it if your gonna fly the model, more on that later. It's funny....they say 6-12 hours of assembly time before flight ROFLMAO uhhhhh no. It took me a month of working on it at least every other day and a few sleepless nights as well (i get carried away sometimes). I didn't take any pictures during the build process, didn't think of it, besides I'd have hundres of pics if I did lol. The pics below are after it's maiden flight. I added the gun barrels and made some repairs (half the plywood firewall broke on impact), hence no nose cone, gotta paint the extra one they give ya.

It flew much better than expected. The plans call for a speed 300 motor and necessary equip but I installed an AXI brushless (conversion plans included in kit) with a Li Poly battery. WOooooo does this thing have some SPEED  and it handles great at low throttle (only went to full once to see how fast it would go), only took a moment to trim her out. Performed aerobatics with ease and the controls were very snappy. Damn thing reverses on a dime.

Why not to build the sliding canopy: I put it into a low speed starboard bank about 5ft off the ground to put it on final for a landing. About 3/4 through the turn and 4ft off the ground the canopy popped open. You can imagine what that did. Caused a buttload of drag which stalled out the plane causing it to yaw to starboard pointing the nose to the ground. The nose and starboard wing tip hit at about the same time but the nose took the brunt of it breaking part of the firewall.

before the next flight I'm either just gonna glue the canopy shut or tape it.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Flyin Styro
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2005, 03:23:45 PM »
looks fun!

Offline slimm50

• Gold Member
Re: Flyin Styro
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2005, 03:41:41 PM »
Originally posted by AcId
About 3/4 through the turn and 4ft off the ground the canopy popped open. You can imagine what that did. Caused a buttload of drag which stalled out the plane causing it to yaw to starboard pointing the nose to the ground.
before the next flight I'm either just gonna glue the canopy shut or tape it.

noob.

j/k, that thing looks like loads of fun, and way cool.

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
Flyin Styro
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2005, 03:50:22 PM »
Nice Acid :)

Does is compress easy when you dive?

Try it and let us know.

Offline AcId

• Silver Member
Flyin Styro
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2005, 03:57:29 PM »
funny you should say that slimm50.....I am a noob :D

I was surprised I didnt smash it to pieces. If it werent for that canopy It might have landed fine. lol

Offline Mathman

• Silver Member
Flyin Styro
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2005, 04:09:08 PM »
I have a 25% Extra that I have been flying for awhile now.  Fun as all hell, just expensive with the fuel (running glow not gas).

I am probably going to pick up an Alfa or something similar to fly up here at my school.  A couple good sized fields that are perfect for park flyers.

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
      • http://www.dot.squat
Flyin Styro
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2005, 05:00:23 PM »
That is really good looking... very nice work.
"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century

Offline Hawklore

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Flyin Styro
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2005, 05:53:41 PM »
Maybe find a way to make it so on take off, or at a certain speed, the canopy locks shut...

Might be something to do just for fun, and so when you reach 0mph it automaticalls uses the engines power to slowly slide the canopy back, and then, and then!!!

A gi joe can climb out!!!
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.
Trouble no one about their religion;
respect others in their view, and demand that they respect yours.
Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life." - Chief Tecumseh

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
Flyin Styro
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2005, 06:26:36 PM »
The Alfa's fly uncommonly well. Rugged too, for a damn McDonalds bun warmer bird. ;)

Math, you got a GP Patti? Just finished guttin an overweight one.. flying it on a DA 50 gasser.. schweeeeett. ;)
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Sundowner

• Silver Member
Flyin Styro
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2005, 07:31:43 PM »
I put it into a low speed starboard bank about 5ft off the ground to put it on final for a landing. About 3/4 through the turn and 4ft off the ground the canopy popped open. You can imagine what that did. Caused a buttload of drag which stalled out the plane causing it to yaw to starboard pointing the nose to the ground. The nose and starboard wing tip hit at about the same time but the nose took the brunt of it breaking part of the firewall.

Anyone get the proxy kill on the auger?:lol

Nice Bird! :aok

Regards
Sun
Freedom implies risk. Less freedom implies more risk.

Offline Mathman

• Silver Member
Flyin Styro
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2005, 07:48:01 PM »
Originally posted by Hangtime
The Alfa's fly uncommonly well. Rugged too, for a damn McDonalds bun warmer bird. ;)

Math, you got a GP Patti? Just finished guttin an overweight one.. flying it on a DA 50 gasser.. schweeeeett. ;)

Nah, I have the one just a tad smaller, the Soucy one with an OS 160.  I think my next big plane will be a 50cc gasser, possibly an Ultimate or similar.  I miss my old Ultimate and really want another bipe.  I just hate the setup for bipes.

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
Flyin Styro
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2005, 08:01:08 PM »
Tower's got a deal goin on the big Goldberg Ultimates. Two of 'em my club now.. really a very, very nice plane. Startlingly good quality ARF. Slap a cheap G-62 & Smoke innit and have a freakin blast... fly all weekend on a gallon or less of regular gas. In a coupla seasons the fuel savings pays for the plane AND the engine ;)

Ultimate 30%
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline nirvana

• Platinum Member
Flyin Styro
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2005, 11:30:49 PM »
Any of you guys seen the F86 jets?  My step dad said, you know, they are REAL jet engine :rolleyes:  lol.  This was when I used to be a giddy little 6th grader, happily playing with my battery operated RC car for 5 minutes until I had to recharge for another 15 minutes.  Other then that i don't trust myself to fly a plane, it's just scary.

P.S. what are you doing with those airsoft BB's?  Look like heavies....or tracers.
Who are you to wave your finger?

Offline AcId

• Silver Member
Flyin Styro
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2005, 08:35:03 AM »
I think Hangtime got the proxy ;)

The BB's are "High Density" .2g instead of the normal .12g. They are for my Smith & Wesson Sigma softair gun. yea yea lazs I know "get a real gun" LOL. I use it on the neighborhood kids :D  we have a ball runnin around usually 4 on 4.

Offline wastel1

• Zinc Member
Flyin Styro
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2005, 09:45:22 AM »
hmm..your camoflage looks much worser than mine. i built the 190 like you right out of the box. looks like the airbrush artist had no fun on the day when he spayed your plane.

overall Flying styro kits warbirds are the best looking you can get.
allready owning the fw190, bf110c and the bf109G14.

btw..they just released the Ki61-II Hien "tony" in 2 camo versions.

wastel

BTW..the 190F2 version you built did NOT have the outer 20mm guns :-)