Author Topic: TWA-800 ATC Recording - full 27 minutes  (Read 757 times)

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
TWA-800 ATC Recording - full 27 minutes
« on: October 13, 2005, 04:28:08 PM »
Had it in my collection for a very long time - decided to encode it to mp3. Its the full 27 minutes weighing about 9 megs. First 13 minutes stuff is more or less normal with Boston Center. Then Stingerbee 507 checks in with the initial explosion report. The rest is...well, if you listen you'll know.

http://ftp://members.aol.com/Wolfala/ATC/twa800full27minutes.mp3

I also uploaded it to the fourm on LiveATC.net incase the link above is slow or just doesn't function.

http://www.liveatc.net/forum/files/twa800_full_27_minutes_182.mp3

S!

Wolfala

the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2005, 05:23:12 PM »
You got a list of 'players' on that tape? And, is there a printed transcript somewhere?

And thanks for putting this up!
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2005, 05:30:25 PM »
Spooky.  Hearing the TWA 800 captain right before he died, dang.

BTW, the first link truncated at 15:31 for me, but the Liveatc.net one gave me the full deal.  Dunno if it was my end, just an FYI.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline rogwar

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2005, 06:42:02 PM »
A site with the transcript...

http://www.whatreallyhappened.com/RANCHO/CRASH/TWA/ATC_TRANSCRIPT.html

Checks pretty well with the recording.

While I've not believed the conspiracy theories, I've always thought that whole deal was a little peculiar.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2005, 07:27:51 PM by rogwar »

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2005, 07:28:16 PM »
Originally posted by Chairboy
Spooky.  Hearing the TWA 800 captain right before he died, dang.

BTW, the first link truncated at 15:31 for me, but the Liveatc.net one gave me the full deal.  Dunno if it was my end, just an FYI.

Reuploading the first file listed - wireless took a dump while that was midstream. As long as the 2nd file works - should be all good.

S!

Wolfala

the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Offline nuchpatrick

• Silver Member
      • http://www.361stvfg.com
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2005, 09:13:37 AM »
This one of those ones that sticks in the back of your mind and makes the hairs on the back of you neck stand on end. When someone posts something new about it.

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2005, 11:46:00 AM »
I dont want to hear it. Things like this make me wish I didnt see or listen to it after. Makes me feel kinda sick.

~AoM~

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2005, 01:29:08 PM »
Regarding TWA800.  This tragedy had a profound impact on me at a very profound time in my life.  I learned here to just accept the fact that people are capable of great love in this world and that we all experience profound unalterable tragedy in the course of life.

All things are eventual, there is no reversing these things, just love as much as you possibly can and be as loved as possible in life, for will come a moment when it is all gone, forever.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Seagoon

• Gold Member
      • http://www.providencepca.com
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2005, 11:15:19 PM »
Hi Filth,

I understand your concern, stuff like this does have a macabre element, but the audio isn't really that eerie, just normal traffic control exchanges until the point other planes begin reporting seeing the explosion and then that there is fire and smoke on the water. In fact it isn't as harrowing as some of the black box transcripts where the pilot is attempting to gain control of a fatally injured aircraft or pull-up in time to avoid a collision or a controlled flight into terrain. There are no abnormal transmissions from TWA800 whatsoever. Sadly it simply confirms the principle, " For man also knoweth not his time: as the fishes that are taken in an evil net, and as the birds that are caught in the snare; so are the sons of men snared in an evil time, when it falleth suddenly upon them. "

Anyway, I've always been puzzled by this particular incident, when I initially heard about it, I instinctively said "terrorism" especially as I was living in the Tri-state area and heard several eyewitness reports which all essentially said the same thing. Then of course the NTSB issued an accident report pointing to faulty wiring using CIA made computer simulations to show how it happened. Somehow though, that explanation has never sat well with me, not because I don't want to believe that such a horrific mechanical failure couldn't suddenly happen, but because of all the evidence pointing in the other direction. Still, I have to admit its all just a gut feeling and perhaps an overcynical view of government agencies. Not the best standpoint for objective analysis I must admit.

- SEAGOON
SEAGOON aka Pastor Andy Webb
"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion... Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Offline rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2005, 11:23:14 PM »
Actually Seagoon there have been hundreds of fires with that wiring.  If I recall correctly it caused the early retirement of a couple hundred f-14's in the 80's.  The stuff is pretty amazing.  All you need is a small knick in the insulation and some water to cause an arc and the insulation itself acts as a fuel.  The insulation burns like a flare once it gets going then everything around it goes too.

Offline Seagoon

• Gold Member
      • http://www.providencepca.com
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2005, 12:04:54 AM »
Hi Rabid,

Originally posted by rabbidrabbit
Actually Seagoon there have been hundreds of fires with that wiring.  If I recall correctly it caused the early retirement of a couple hundred f-14's in the 80's.  The stuff is pretty amazing.  All you need is a small knick in the insulation and some water to cause an arc and the insulation itself acts as a fuel.  The insulation burns like a flare once it gets going then everything around it goes too.

I'm know that the wiring was bad, but the problem lay in the fact that a 747 center tank had never exploded like this before, and considerable doubt exists as to whether Jet Fuel A could ever produce such an incredibly explosive fuel/air mixture. I'm sure you've probably seen this: http://www.angelfire.com/hi/TWA800/fueltanktheory.html
before, but the official simulation used to illustrate the fuel/air explosion apparently used hydrogen and propane(!)

Still, I acknowledge you're probably right and speculations otherwise are nothing but   :noid
SEAGOON aka Pastor Andy Webb
"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion... Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2005, 02:01:11 AM »
I've seen enough crashes and explosive damage in my time - I never bought the CFT explosion explanation. Always thought it was a missile, but not a MANPAD - but those reasons are mine alone.

As for the comms, its standard stuff. I was flying the night this happened, but was about 70 miles away near Nantucket on the way back to Bridgeport.

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2005, 02:12:45 AM »
The FAA, the FBI and the CIA would not mislead us. Certainly, we've seen all the info now, they rebuilt the plane for us all to see. Certainly the cause of the disaster was merely substandard wiring that failed in a built by the cheapest bidder fuel tank sender that was known to be problematic in a worn out airliner that was poorly maintained anyway.

We've got the truth.

sleep tite. the government is protecting us.
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2005, 03:49:43 AM »
*** this, I'm going to buy shares in a tin foil company!

Offline TimRas

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2005, 08:43:26 AM »
Originally posted by Seagoon
,I'm know that the wiring was bad, but the problem lay in the fact that a 747 center tank had never exploded like this before, and considerable doubt exists as to whether Jet Fuel A could ever produce such an incredibly explosive fuel/air mixture.

From Air Safety Week:
The March 3d 2001 explosion and raging fire that destroyed a 9-year old Thai Airways International B737 has added impetus to the search for a means of inerting flammable vapors in fuel tanks. The center wing tank exploded, according to initial reports. One of six people on board the airplane at the time was killed.

It is the third such CWT explosion in 11 years. In 1990 the CWT exploded on a Philippine Airlines (PAL) B737, and in 1996 the CWT exploded on a Trans World Airlines (TWA) B747.

The Thai Airways accident in Bangkok brings to 17 the number of fuel tank explosions that have occurred on jet airliners since the first such event on a B707 in 1959. About 550 people have been killed (see ASW, July 20, 1998). The TWA Flight 800 disaster, with 230 killed, accounts for nearly half the overall human toll. (ASW note: an FAA NPRM issued in April 1997 soliciting industry comment on how to mitigate the hazard posed by flammable fuel tank vapors cited 13 fuel tank explosion/ignition events from 1959-1996; three non-operational events, e.g., during maintenance, bring the total to 16 before the Thai B737 CWT explosion.)