Author Topic: AH Paper Models  (Read 876 times)

Offline Tino

• Zinc Member
AH Paper Models
« on: October 13, 2005, 10:42:53 AM »
Did someone ever thinked in making something like this?

http://www.cardmodels.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2759

I just remember that Hitech Creations may want to do somethig similar.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
AH Paper Models
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2005, 03:18:22 PM »
Those are all 3D models, not paper models.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
AH Paper Models
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2005, 07:01:26 PM »
You mean something like these?

Try this place

Fiddlers Green
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
AH Paper Models
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2005, 07:07:37 PM »
Oh and BTW.
Most of the planes at that site will really fly
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
AH Paper Models
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2005, 07:25:24 PM »
Fly like a paper airplane, sure.

But they look like crap compared to plastic models :P I've done both. I did paper airplane models back before I even knew there was such a thing (I made my own -- drew, colored, cut, and glued, etc)

Offline Tino

• Zinc Member
AH Paper Models
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2005, 04:44:06 AM »
Krusty yes they are 3D models from a video game and the same people that made the game want to make paer models from the game 3D models.

Drediock yes is something like that.
I know fiddlers green they have a big collection of paper modelsbut they are not very perfect models but they are very simple to build.

Krusty paper models look like crap? you better see this

http://www.halinski.com.pl/indexgb.php?link=7

choose the pictures that you want to see all the models are made of paper not plastic.

Offline Tino

• Zinc Member
AH Paper Models
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2005, 04:47:08 AM »
Also see this,

http://www.cardmodels.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2747
and dont forgget that paper models are very cheap compared with plastic models.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
AH Paper Models
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2005, 12:26:28 PM »
Oh I've seen lots of "good" paper models. I know they can look "good".. But you can't get any decent curves out of them without making complex curves, which have seams, and are quite visible. Having well-printed card stock helps hide seams, but they're still there if you look closely.

The reason a lot of those paper models look so good is because the printing (or depending on the person that builds it, the paint finish) -- it breaks up the lines of the geometry, making it harder to see. If you know what to look for it's still there, though.

If you put a model printed like some at the link you gave, and then a model identical to it but on  white card stock, you'd be amazed how bad they look.

In photos they look great. Up close and in real life you start to see the flaws.

I think the people that build good ones show a lot of skill, don't get me wrong. But as a medium for model building it is inherrently flawed and always will be. Paper is inflexible, unsuited to curves and round shapes -- and most things have curves and round shapes, so whenever you model in paper you're always compromising. That's just my 2 cents, and why I prefer plastic models (less of a compromise)

P.S. I don't know if it's "cheating" or not -- but some of the details -- gear doors, gear struts, wheels, etc, are not paper on some of those planes. I always made mine out of paper, but they usually looked like crap -- which might be why they didn't use paper lol!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2005, 12:29:56 PM by Krusty »

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
AH Paper Models
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2005, 03:50:25 PM »
Originally posted by Krusty
Fly like a paper airplane, sure.

But they look like crap compared to plastic models :P I've done both. I did paper airplane models back before I even knew there was such a thing (I made my own -- drew, colored, cut, and glued, etc)

Really??
Wow cant imagine why a plastic model molded in intricate detail and in 3d and put together would look better then ones printed out on paper,cut out and put together would look. LOL

But on the upside. for $3.00 you can create an entire airforce of planes that really fly
Where as you would be lucky to find a single plastic model (that wont fly).

Hey. Dont think anyone would expect them to look exactly like the real thing. but it is a neat little hobby.
And they look pretty good considering they arent made out of  pre molded plastic.

On the fiddlers green site I found a link to some people that are using their plans to make the planes out of foam that also really fly
And some look damn good too!

http://www.fiddlersgreen.net/fgmodels/motorized/motorized.htm [IMG]http://www.fiddlersgreen.net/fgmodels/motorized/jim-and-dad.jpg
« Last Edit: October 14, 2005, 03:59:29 PM by DREDIOCK »
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
AH Paper Models
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2005, 01:01:48 AM »
Drediock, do you build models? Sure the plastic gives you better tools to work with, but there's a lotta sheiss out there that you do without using plastic. There's no doubt that when compared to paper, many elements, including wood, foam, plastic, and metal, allow better models to be built.

EDIT: Oh and plastic kits are cheap too. I grew up on kits that cost less than $10 (US).

Offline Tino

• Zinc Member
AH Paper Models
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2005, 04:38:05 AM »
Krusty for that price I can buy an airplane in 1/33 or 1/32 scale and you can only buy an 1/72 airplane.
In the Halinski site you can also see paper models that are not printed, just clic where says prototype and then choose what you want to see.

But I dont make this tread to discuss prices or differences of paper and plastic models, I am a paper modeler and thats it.

I start this tread because I think it was a good ideia to see "ours" airplanes of AH to be acessible as free paper models that could be downloaded.
That would bring people to see whats AH is about and what cardmodelling is about, everybody could win something with this, I think...

Just my 2 cents.