Author Topic: F6F durability  (Read 832 times)

whels1

F6F durability
« on: December 15, 2000, 11:31:00 AM »
was watching a shoow last night about Gruman planes. a F6F pilot said on a mission he hads 80% of his left wing blown off and he also lost completely the left stabalizer and elevator. he said he made it back to the CV group and landed it safely. he said they sent up a plane to look him over and the chase pilot asked him did he know his left
wheel was gone lol, guess it when with the
80% of the wing. but he still had his tail hook !

whels

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
F6F durability
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2000, 12:23:00 PM »
:-)   Luck sob!   Whels, was that show on cable??

-Westy

carl

F6F durability
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2000, 12:45:00 PM »
Saw that, also seen footage of p38's and thunderbolt missing nearly all of one wing.

whels1

F6F durability
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2000, 01:26:00 PM »
history channel i think. DSS satalite here.

Originally posted by Westy:
:-)   Luck sob!   Whels, was that show on cable??

-Westy

Offline F4UDOA

• Silver Member
      • http://mywebpages.comcast.net/markw4/index.html
F6F durability
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2000, 01:39:00 PM »
I have alway's beieved that the damage model in AH was too sensitive. There are many accounts of F6F, F4U and P-47 coming back with 30 plus 20mill. holes in the aircraft with no rudder and half a wing.

There should be a wider range in the durablity of A/C in AH. The Zero on the bottom and the Jug on top. Right now it's probably scaled from 1 to 10. It should probably be scaled from 1 to 20 to spread out the range between the most and least durable.

Any idea's??  

Offline Dingy

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
F6F durability
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2000, 02:00:00 PM »

Originally posted by whels1:
history channel i think. DSS satalite here.

Yup.  Show was called "Modern Marvels" I believe.  Show focused on the major WWII aircraft manufacturers....Grumman (F6F), Douglas (C47) and Boeing (B17).

-Ding

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
F6F durability
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2000, 02:18:00 PM »
If any fighter sized plane had 30 20mm "holes" in it, it either would not exist anymore, or they couldn't be cannon shells.  IMHO.  That or the shells didn't detonate.  I think in Johnson's famous story, it was 2 or 3 cannon hits that nearly killed him.  The peppering with MG fire didn't finish him off, but came close.  Take a 47 up in AH and have a buddy hose you down with the machine guns only from an FW.  I bet you can take one crapload of them before going down.

I will say that I have been absolutely reamed in my P-47 several times and kept flying.  Not long ago I was on auto-climb typing away and BAM BAM BAM BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAM!  A Yak had sneaked up on me and completely blind bounced me.  He hosed me with a solid burst.  I freaked, rolled violently a couple times, WEP'ed the beast and headed for the deck as fast as the big Jug could dive.  I noticed I still had some flight control.  Hitting the damage list I had lost 1 of everything, but still had both wings intact.  He must have spread the hits out around the bird.  I couldn't believe it still flew.  I nursed it home for a landing.

I loved that.  Those things do happen when flying a Jug.  It's a damn tough plane.  Sometimes you die quick when the damage is concentrated, but the damage model seems good enough to me that you also get times where the famous toughness of the Jug comes through!

------------------
Lephturn - Chief Trainer
A member of The Flying Pigs  http://www.flyingpigs.com

"A pig is a jolly companion, Boar, sow, barrow, or gilt --
A pig is a pal, who'll boost your morale, Though mountains may topple and tilt.
When they've blackballed, bamboozled, and burned you, When they've turned on you, Tory and Whig,
Though you may be thrown over by Tabby and Rover, You'll never go wrong with a pig, a pig,
You'll never go wrong with a pig!" -- Thomas Pynchon, "Gravity's Rainbow"

[This message has been edited by Lephturn (edited 12-15-2000).]

Offline flakbait

• Silver Member
      • http://www.worldaccessnet.com/~delta6
F6F durability
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2000, 02:35:00 PM »
Leph, you gotta admit that Yak is a killer   You flying a Jug doesn't help much either; second biggest target right behind the P-38!

-----------------------
Flakbait
Delta 6's Flight School
"For yay did the sky darken, and split open and spew forth fire, and
through the smoke rode the Four Wurgers of the Apocalypse.
And on their canopies was tattooed the number of the Beast, and the
number was 190." Jedi, Verse Five, Capter Two, The Book of Dweeb

whels1

F6F durability
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2000, 02:54:00 PM »
not only did he land safely, he also said
they flew the very same AC 10 days later wow.

whels

Originally posted by Dingy:
Yup.  Show was called "Modern Marvels" I believe.  Show focused on the major WWII aircraft manufacturers....Grumman (F6F), Douglas (C47) and Boeing (B17).

-Ding

Offline Jigster

• Copper Member
F6F durability
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2000, 03:10:00 PM »
Stay up for "WWII In Color" ? That was surreal.

Offline Dingy

• Zinc Member
F6F durability
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2000, 05:14:00 PM »

Originally posted by Jigster:
Stay up for "WWII In Color" ? That was surreal.

Yup.  That was on right before "Modern Marvels".  As you said Jig...surreal.  

I understand its a 3 part episode.  First one I've seen.

-Ding

Offline Dinger

• Silver Member
F6F durability
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2000, 05:55:00 PM »
I hear ya leph.  I fly all kinds of stuff.  Early on, I flew exclusively 109s, then 205s. I've done time in la5s, and played around with the FW and the Yak.
It comes down to this:
If you're not flying one of the two or three so-called "überplanes" (the performance and ubiquity of which doesn't bother me that much), you're flying a fighter that has something to love about it.
And for the Juggernaut, it's the fact that it is a really funkin' huge hunk of iron slapped on the back of a monstrous engine with an excessive number of M2s packing ridiculous ammo belts.  Absolute beauty.
(plus, once you train to hit with mausers, .50 cal are very satisfying/

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
F6F durability
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2000, 05:58:00 PM »
I agree with F4DOA, some changes in the way the damage calculations are done would be cool.

It would be a good feature to simulate the pilot being straight out killed by a burst of gunfire (this happened a lot, I'm sure, since even the most pidly .303 can kill a human at the ranges we typically shoot at each other at).  On the other side of this coin, having aircraft behave in a more robust manner like was mentioned re: TV programs and such would be nice as well.  I have no idea regarding the viability of this being incorporated into AH, but it wouldn't be a bad thing if it could be done.

Offline 2Late4U

• Copper Member
F6F durability
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2000, 07:32:00 PM »
I feel that the damage modeling is at a great point for starters, but the ALL or NOTHING modeling of everything could be improved by having more subtle gradiations of damage.

GREEN=fine
YELLOW=Damages
RED=blown to crap
BLACK=wing...what wing?

This way there isnt just no alieron, but maybe a damaged one (perhaps even BWAHAHA stuck in its current deflection MWAHAHAHA)

It would take quite a bit of coding, but it would be nice!

Offline Daff

• Copper Member
F6F durability
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2000, 07:47:00 PM »
Lepturn, Johnsons plane had 21 (twenty-one) 20mm holes, including 5 near the cockpit area. (causing his canopy to jam, which was why he didnt bail out) and 200+ mg holes.
It's very much worth noting that he would have bailed, had he been able to, something people never do in seems, as long as their plane is reasonably functional.
On a different note, he was claimed twice that sortie

Daff

------------------
CO, 56th Fighter Group
"This is Yardstick. Follow me"