Author Topic: Clearing up the F4U-1C fuel tank conflict  (Read 409 times)

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
Clearing up the F4U-1C fuel tank conflict
« on: January 01, 2006, 07:55:46 AM »
I discovered a discrepancy between the AH2 fuel model in the F4U-1C (with single main tank) and the data recorded in the eminently reliable America's Hundred Thousand, which noted that the F4U-1C was simply a F4U-1 (which had small wing fuel tanks as well) with new, cannon containing outer wing panels. I was about to post my discovery, but first decided to do a forum search -- which showed that I wasnt on to anything new at all.

http://www.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=128482

Bottom line: no resolution, as America's Hundred Thousand was written with copious documentation on hand. Widewing, for one, felt that Dean was likely right. However, while the idea and prototype were early in the Pacific war, the F4U1-C didnt reach service until 1945.

I think I found the answer to the puzzle.

The initial F4U-1C prototype flew in 1943, and WAS an F4U-1 (not -1a), Bureau No. 02154. This was actually the second F4U-1 off the line.

The contract for the outer wing panels started delivery from full production in 1944. ALthough the contract for the F4U-1c was for 200 airframes, these were not produced sequentially. The wings were tacked on to airframes as the wing subassemblies became available.

So the Bureau numbers are not sequential, and the airframes were diverted from the main production line FOR WHATEVER VERSION HAPPENED TO BE THERE.  The Bureau numbers for the 200 C-hogs are in 10 separate blocks, and are sliced out of sequences in the F4U-1D production line. The Bureau numbers for the C-Hog start and stop in "holes" of the F4U-1D sequence.

SO America's Hundred Thousand is correct, in describing the features of the FIRST f4u-1c, and AH2 correctly models the plane as F4U-1D with cannons. There were a few other differences -- as Vought "requested permission to delete wing bomb racks and all provisions for towing targets" [Warbird History:F4U Corsair, by Veronico, Campbell, and Campbell], but the bird should be most like the F4U-1D.
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline ShortyDoowap

• Copper Member
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2006, 11:43:20 AM »
"Some references on the Corsair have stated that the F4U-1C was essentially a F4U-1A armed with four 20mm cannon instead of six .50-caliber machine guns.  This is incorrect, because the F4U-1C was actually based on the F4U-1D airframe.  The production of F4U-1Ds actually began before that of the F4U-1C, and 13 blocks of F4U-1Ds were completed before the first group of F4U-1Cs began to alternate on the production line with the F4U-1Ds."

"Like the F4U-1D, the F4U-1C had two pylons under the center wing section that could be used to carry bombs, napalm or 154 gallon fuel tanks.  When the rocket launch stubs were added with F4U-1D, BuNo 82253, the next F4U-1C produced, BuNo 82260, also had provisions for rockets installed.  However, only 2 rockets could be carried under each wing of the F4U-1C compared to 4 on the F4U-1D.  The 63 gallon leading edge wing tanks found on the F4U-1 and F4U-1A were deleted"

Bert Kinzey
F4U Corsair, Part 1
In Detail and Scale

Offline justin_g

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2006, 08:36:43 PM »
However, only 2 rockets could be carried under each wing of the F4U-1C compared to 4 on the F4U-1D.

Just in case anyone wonders why - if you add up the weight of two rockets per wing - it is very close to the extra weight of the 20mm cannon and ammo.

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2006, 11:39:42 AM »
The F4U is my favorite WWII plane, but with only 200 made I dont know why we have it in AH. As F4UDOA said in the other post, I'd rather see the -1C deleted and add the -1A.