Author Topic: Possible Idea to upgrade Torps?  (Read 1521 times)

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
Possible Idea to upgrade Torps?
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2005, 02:32:49 PM »
Glad I've sparked a discussion.

I like the 3 different speed settings for the CV idea.  However, I would like to make sure that limits are imposed on them.

I.E. You can only go full out for 10 or 15 minutes.  It takes 2 minutes to regain the ability to go 1 minute full out.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2005, 03:31:35 PM »
Something I thought I would just throw out there.
How about when a CV takes 95% damage, the task group will stop. When carriers were very badly hit in WW2 they would stop and try to salvage the ship. This is how the Yorktown was sunk at Midway, it had to stop because of damage received from dive bombers. Just as they thought they were going to save the Yorktown, it was hit by a torpedo from a Japanese submarine.
For gameplay sake once a cv stops it is as good as dead, so make it so it only stops for 5 minutes and its damage will go from say 98% to 90%
And when it was stopped maybe all manned guns can come back online? I know its unrealistic but would be needed to have any chance of stopping an attack. This would also ENCOURAGE the use of torpedos because the carrier is sitting still, you can drop your torp at a range of about 3k and not be in the center of the ack. Just have to hope that torpedo gets to the carrier before it starts moving OR  a PT boat puts itself in the way of it.

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2005, 01:53:30 PM »
If i understood right, you ask for ships behavior which exactly opposite to real? And make ships even more easy targets than now? Wow.

Yup.

It's already so easy to sink a CV that a change in this direction practically has no gross effect on how 'easier' it is to sink. However, it improves the success rates of torpedo attacks to a reasonable level.

Besides, the reason why CVs are so easy to sink is usually because they sail unprotected with stupid people in command, stationary at a single spot and exposing itself as a target for god knows how long. It is an issue that has no direct relevance to the current discussion.

The suggested speed "modes" are ahistoric because our CV group itself is ahistoric. In our game CVs are usually used as mobile fortress/airbase parked 5 miles off enemy coastal base, equipped with an "point-and-click" 5 inch AA gun that fires proximity shells, and maneuvers 180 degrees within 60 seconds from a stand-still position, without a damage modelling.

Its only natural.

Offline Jester

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2005, 05:56:16 PM »
Originally posted by Kweassa
I remember our task groups to travel at about 45mph - which is about 39 knots(using statute miles, since WW2 didn't use nautical miles IIRC). That's an entire fleet travelling faster than an average anti-sub destroyer at its attack run - and that's only when running straight, too. When the ships begin to turn and take up new positions they travel even faster.

A pretty easy fix might be to set the speed of the Fleets to a more "Realistic" speed of around 25 - 30 Knots.
Only the most powerful Fleet Type Destroyers could make anything near 39 Knots - very few Capital Ships could do above 33 Knots. 30 Knots would be closer to average.

:aok
Lt. JESTER
VF-10 "GRIM REAPERS"

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2005, 06:43:43 PM »
36 knots was the fastest ship in a typical US CV group (the DD's). The CA's, most CV's and Iowa class BB's were 32-33 knots. Lexington class CV's were rated at 34 knots (and had hit over 36 knots in service) as were some IJN CV's, while USS Wasp and Ranger could make 29 knots. North Carolina and South Dakota class BB's were only good for 27 and 28 knots respectively.

It was a very rare occasion when a CV group traveled at more than 25-30 knots. A good speed to have them run would be 28 knots or so, but 39 knots is just wrong.

Offline Jester

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2005, 10:16:38 PM »
To add to Grits list for those interested:

Most of the pre-war built Battleships (Pennsylvania, Mississippi, New Mexico, Idaho, Tennessee, California, West Virginia, Maryland & Colorado) were all rated at 21 Knots. Nevada could only do 20 Knots. The oldest BB's, (Arkansas, Texas & New York) could only do 19 Knots after their modernization.

Some of the other fastest ships in the WW2 U.S. Navy & their rated speeds:

San Diego Class CLAA: 35 Knots
Wickes Class DD (old 4 pipers):  35 Knots
Mahan Class DD:  36.5 Knots
Selfridge Class DD:  37 Knots (39 Knots on trials)
Fletcher Class DD:  36.5 Knots
Sumner Class DD: 36.5 Knots
Gearing Class DD: 36.8 Knots

Most of the USN CA's & CL's are all rated from 32 - 33 Knots.

Some othe fast ships (above average speeds) from other WW2 Navies:

JAPAN
Mogami Class CA:  37 Knots (Not bad for a Heavy Cruiser!)
Fubuki Class DD:  38 Knots
Kaegro Class DD: 36 Knots

ENGLAND
J/N/K Class DD: 36 Knots
O & P Class DD:  37 Knots

ITALY
Condottieri Class CL:  37 Knots
Ciano Class CL:  41 Knots
Folgore Class DD:  38 Knots
Navigatori Class DD: 38 Knots

:aok
« Last Edit: December 05, 2005, 11:08:46 PM by Jester »
Lt. JESTER
VF-10 "GRIM REAPERS"

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2005, 10:44:16 PM »
The speed of the Iowa class BB was really the most significant improvement, but you always hear about the armor and the guns. With the top speed of 33 knots you finally had a BB that could stay with a CV Task Group no matter what they did or how fast they went.

I think the most impressive ships were the Lexington class CV's Lexington and Saratoga. I am not sure, but I highly doubt any ship of any type with the tonnage of the Lex class ever went 36+ knots.

Offline FDutchmn

• Silver Member
Re: Possible Idea to upgrade Torps?
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2005, 11:20:50 PM »
Ok... this thread is interesting... I have somethings to add...

Originally posted by lasersailor184
So why not speed the torpedoes up?

Not really of higher speed, but modelling Japanese torpedoes would be a good solution.  Slightly faster than the German torpedoes by 2 knots, and can be launched at considerably a higher speed (183 vs 280 knots).  Comparison to the Mk13 is difficult because continued improvement on the Mk13 made a considerable difference from the start of the Pacific War to the end while it was still called the Mk13...

details are here... Ok... so, which torps?

Speed can be calibrated in exchange for range.   I wish this was modelled too, although I am not sure if the bombardier could control this while in flight.  If not, then we can have pre-calibrated torpedoes when we load them in the hanger.

Originally posted by Kweassa
I remember our task groups to travel at about 45mph - which is about 39 knots(using statute miles, since WW2 didn't use nautical miles IIRC). That's an entire fleet travelling faster than an average anti-sub destroyer at its attack run - and that's only when running straight, too. When the ships begin to turn and take up new positions they travel even faster.

IMO, there should be a "cruise mode" and "combat mode" the fleet commander can set. In the "cruise mode", the ships will travel as it is (for sake of gameplay), but it won't be able to launch planes or use any ship guns other than AA guns(20mm, 40mm, 5", etc..)

In "combat mode", the ships should slow down to about 20knots(23mph (statute miles)). The guns can be used and planes can be launched at this mode.

A separate "emergency maneuvers" button would be added to the control box when the fleet is in combat mode, which the entire fleet goes into a preset evasive maneuver such as "knuckle right/left", the ships accelerating to full speed, turning as hard as they can, so the fleet commander doesn't have to switch to "cruise mode" manually and halt ship bombardment or plane launching. However, these evasives would have a slow moving ship accelerate at a reasonable level, so it would be a lot less effective than our current fleet breaking left or right in insane circles.

Changing between "cruise mode" and "combat mode" would also take a certain bit of time, since the ships all have to accelerate or slow down and crews/pilots go to "battle stations". Maybe something like a 2 minute interval.

I like this idea!  If I may suggest a modification...

1. I would make it difficult to launch aircraft and fire guns at "cruise mode".  Perhaps add listing of ships when it turns at high speeds and the bow goes up and down in the waves.  Take off is at your own risk!  In "emergency manuevers" the ship lists for obvious reasons.

2.  Changes from "cruise mode" to "combat mode" and vice versa and usage of "Emergency manuevers" can only be applied from the tower of the CV.

And lastly... please model formations on carrier-borne bombers ;)

Offline Jester

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2005, 12:03:18 AM »
Originally posted by Grits
I think the most impressive ships were the Lexington class CV's Lexington and Saratoga. I am not sure, but I highly doubt any ship of any type with the tonnage of the Lex class ever went 36+ knots.

I quite agree - I have a lot of material on the LEXINGTON CLASS Battlecruisers before they were converted to Carriers. The Lexington Class BC's were designed to be the fastest Battlecruisers ever built with more horsepower than even the British HMS Hood.

What made them the the fasted Carriers in the USN (or any other Navy), besides their massive horsepower & Turbo-Electric Drive, was their "Length to Beam Ratio." Besides having the most HP, the LEXINGTON CLASS CV's were also the longest ships in the USN till the MIDWAY CLASS CVA's came along.

LEXINGTON CLASS CV:  Length: 850'.....Beam: 105'4".....SHP: 180,000
(180K was designed SHP but it is recored that the Lex & Sara both got up to 210K SHP on trials.)
YORKTOWN CLASS CV:  Length: 761'.....Beam: 109'5".....SHP: 120,000
ESSEX CLASS CV:  Length:  872'....Beam: 147'....SHP:  150,000
(For Comparison)
IOWA CLASS BB:  Length: 861'....Beam: 108'2"....SHP:  212,000
SOUTH DAKOTA CLASS BB: Length: 655'....Beam: 108'2"....SHP:  130,000
NORTH CAROLINA CLASS BB: Length: 704'....Beam: 108'3"....SHP 115,000
HOOD CLASS BC:  Length: 810'....Beam: 105'....SHP: 144,000

(NOTE: All Lengths are at Waterline.  SHP = Shaft Horsepower.)

As for the Iowa Class BB, to enable it to operate with the fast carriers, the South Dakota Class BB design was esentually taken back to the drawing board and re-worked to lengthen it and add more horsepower to the design to up it's speed and bunkerage for fuel.
I once read an armor study on comparisons between the two designs and it was figured the South Dakota's were actually better protected (even with reduction in speed) than the Iowa's because of their shorter hull made the armor citadel easer to cover vital parts of the ship.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2005, 12:31:40 AM by Jester »
Lt. JESTER
VF-10 "GRIM REAPERS"