Author Topic: Help!  (Read 306 times)

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
Help!
« on: December 06, 2005, 08:19:26 PM »
Well, I just bought a 1999 Dodge Ram Sport, very nice truck with dual straight pipes, K&N intake, nice huge tires, and decked out in every way you can imagine.

Unfortunately, the thing eats gas, and a lot of it.  Any other Ram owners out there have any tips for me to improve gas milage?

Offline Skilless

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
      • http://www.4remnants.com
Help!
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005, 08:24:57 PM »
Put the factory recommended tires back on it!  The big ones not only ruin any aerodynamics the truck might have, but also totally screw the gear ratios.  All the other modifications you mentioned should actually help mileage.

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
Help!
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2005, 08:31:02 PM »
Hey Skilless, I need these tires pal.  I drive this thing offroad almost as much as dry pavement! :D

But wow, I have no other complaints about this truck.  Its got a nice set of balls under that hood, and breaks posi quite nicely. ;)

Its funny, I've only owned the thing for a week, but I've already dusted so many young fools driving their little civics with their thousands of dollars in mods...

Nothin beats pure American horsepower baby!;)

Now if it was only a five speed.... :rofl

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
Help!
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2005, 08:32:49 PM »
Yes.
Either leave it in the driveway or transport it by trailor LMAO
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
Help!
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2005, 08:49:00 PM »
hmm.. wayyyy to sexy for that Dred..

Its got twin air scoops on the hood... hmmmm hmmmmm.... yes too sexy for the driveway..

I would pull it on a trailer any day though! :p

Offline Geary420

• Silver Member
Help!
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2005, 10:15:28 PM »
Originally posted by Lazerr

Its funny, I've only owned the thing for a week, but I've already dusted so many young fools driving their little civics with their thousands of dollars in mods...
Now if it was only a five speed.... :rofl

With the ricetards, the faster the car looks usually the slower it is (stickerchargers, fartcans, rediculously large wings).  I believe they make a power programer for your truck, might be able to tweak some mileage out with that.

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
Help!
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2005, 10:17:54 PM »
Originally posted by Geary420
With the ricetards, the faster the car looks usually the slower it is (stickerchargers, fartcans, rediculously large wings).  I believe they make a power programer for your truck, might be able to tweak some mileage out with that.

Yup what he said.  Other than that, those performance parts don't do alot for MPG except for maybe the air intake and plugs.

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
Help!
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2005, 10:54:29 PM »
I have a stock 318 2001 Ram extended cab. It gets 11 - 13 mpg. The 318 got more mpg in the 70's without efi.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Geary420

• Silver Member
Help!
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2005, 11:11:13 PM »
Hey, your only 40 minutes east of me.  When you takin me muddin?? :)

Offline nirvana

• Platinum Member
Help!
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2005, 11:31:56 PM »
Lazerr, you show those ricers what American power does.  Those 7 inch diameter fart tubes should be banned as obscene to the eyes.

To increase gas mileage let the ricers win a few off the line.  Slow acceleration.
Who are you to wave your finger?

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
Help!
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2005, 12:06:49 AM »
Originally posted by Lazerr
hmm.. wayyyy to sexy for that Dred..

Its got twin air scoops on the hood... hmmmm hmmmmm.... yes too sexy for the driveway..

I would pull it on a trailer any day though! :p

LOL
Ok for Gas milage to be THAT bad something else had to be done to the engine
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Skilless

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
      • http://www.4remnants.com
Help!
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2005, 12:24:28 AM »
Originally posted by DREDIOCK
LOL
Ok for Gas milage to be THAT bad something else had to be done to the engine

I'm positive the fuel economy issue is due to the wrong size tires.  You will pick up a lot more power with smaller tires too.

Everything is a compromise:  Either look cool or get decent gas mileage.  One compromise I can think of would be to put a lower gear in the final drive in the front and rear end.  Even then you wouldn't get as good of mileage as you would if you put the right size tires on it.

Offline deSelys

• Gold Member
Help!
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2005, 02:45:24 AM »
Sell it and buy a Prius.
Current ID: Romanov

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

'I AM DID NOTHING WRONG' - Famous last forum words by legoman

Offline Eden

• Copper Member
Help!
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2005, 07:20:46 AM »
Originally posted by nirvana
Lazerr, you show those ricers what American power does.  Those 7 inch diameter fart tubes should be banned as obscene to the eyes.

To increase gas mileage let the ricers win a few off the line.  Slow acceleration.

Quite simply...if your an average size male you look gay in a small car (decked out with Leggo parts or not).