Author Topic: more variety of things to bomb  (Read 883 times)

Offline hulk31st

• Copper Member
more variety of things to bomb
« on: January 20, 2006, 11:59:52 AM »
Watching the Military or History Channels gives me the urge to bomb bridges, railways and the like. Would like to see more strategic targets like rail yards and hydro-electric plants (dams), too.
Tunisia 1944 Scenario Participant

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006, 04:10:24 PM »
Yes, this has been a wish of many people for a while. There's a CT map being made with actual strat cities (not just squares, but sprawling ones) that would be SWEET if it started showing up in more maps.

I think if HTC refined the map maker, making it easier and much MUCH more user friendly, then we'd be able to see a lot more community-made maps (perhaps with sprawling strat and s*** to bomb! :p ), but I've tried and quit 5 times to use that cursed, horrible, terrain editor.

If it were better set up, better controlled, folks wouldn't have to wait 2 years for a decent map with custom made strat (as we've had to wait).

I think if we had dozens of folks building maps we'd see a lot more creativity. As it is we have probably only half a dozen working on serious maps right now (not counting HTH or offline training maps and stuff).

EDIT: previous paragraph I mentioned seeing more creativity. Thought I'd add that this is like the Half-Life mapping world. Using a highly versatile and yet very limited system, map makers have built some truly amazing and extraordinary maps, for a game that came out in 1997 (or so), allowing this game to survive until last year (when it was totally eclipsed by HL2). That's some track record! It was mostly able to do this because the map makers were able to easily produce maps, refine maps, share ideas, and experiment to the point that there are hundreds of masters in the art.

In AH we have only a few masters, because the TE prohibits mastery of the system. I'd love maps with stuff like you mentioned but I think the only way to get 'em is a better TE
« Last Edit: January 20, 2006, 04:13:06 PM by Krusty »

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 05:33:51 PM »
One thing that might add to game play is fuel, and ammo dumps.

Place them at the end of the road that convoy follows. Make them large and hard to distroy. Then make them effect time rate and or ammount of resupply.

Bronk
See Rule #4

Offline Hoarach

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2006, 06:04:50 PM »
So basically asking for more ways to ruin good fights.  :mad:
Fringe
Nose Art
80th FS "Headhunters"

Secret Association of P38 Pilots

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2006, 06:13:20 PM »
Originally posted by Hoarach
So basically asking for more ways to ruin good fights.  :mad:

Minor hit to the furballers with a 75% fuel load. I dont think you furball with 100% do you?

Bronk
See Rule #4

Offline Klum25th

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
      • http://www.75thrazgriz.bravehost.com
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2006, 06:38:06 PM »
I love the idea. I love watching the History channel of P47s blowing up train yards, bridges, dams, cargo ships, and more.

Can you destroy that building that supplies the bases. Like each base has a big supply hanger and a road that goes out in the middle of no where and theres a little building where the cargo trucks come out. Can we kill those? If we can't that be a good target. Maybe add some hidden flak, and AA guns around it so it can atleast try to defend itself. But i would love to see more targets that effect the game in some way.

Offline SuperDud

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2006, 07:00:33 PM »
I'm actually think this could be a good thing. It would give those bomber crazy guys something else to hit besides my beloved fighter hangers. So buff guys would be happy with a wider selection of targets and furballers get their hangers.
SuperDud
++Blue Knights++

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2006, 08:52:46 PM »
Originally posted by Bronk
I dont think you furball with 100% do you?

Unless I'm taking off into the enemy 3k off from the field, I always take 100%.

Oh, and Superdud, I agree with you 100% as well.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline outbreak

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2006, 09:50:25 PM »
Wat fun are Strat Targets? NONE, I just love to watch the fighters Scramble to get me when im blasting the Holy Gondolas out their FH in my Lancs from 300ft. >=}:noid :O

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2006, 10:54:46 PM »
If strat targets actualyl AFFECTED gameplay (which they really don't) then they would be fun. Somebody suggested that strat be linked to field capture, and you couldn't take the field, but if you took all of a field's strats you'd posess the field (like a zone master owns the strat, but instead local strat owns the base). So, you bomb more, take hte cities, and then get the fields instead of the other way around

Well, that was one idea, anyways. I think something like that but including field taking would be best (i.e. can't win a country with just fields, have to take the cities too, or something).

Offline nimble

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2006, 11:04:58 PM »
I think there should be more variety of everything in bombing. As it is now it is pretty much just copy/paste on everything. I would like to see different hangar placements(other than just field size differences), variable toolshed placements, ack, town sizes/placements/maproom locations, you get the idea. As it is now you just need to memorize a field size and take one look at it from 8k away to know exactly where you need to bomb.
Even if it seems certain that you will lose, retaliate. Neither wisdom nor technique has a place in this. A real man does not think of victory or defeat. He plunges recklessly towards an irrational death. By doing this, you will awaken from your dreams.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2006, 12:53:08 AM »
Walks away whistling, not saying anything and very obviously trying to look totally inconspicious.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline mussie

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2006, 01:30:41 PM »
I'm actually think this could be a good thing. It would give those bomber crazy guys something else to hit besides my beloved fighter hangers. So buff guys would be happy with a wider selection of targets and furballers get their hangers.

Well its not like Buff were hitting airfields all that much in WWII (correct me if I am wrong)

Would be nice to have a big city REAL BIG in each country....

Once all the Buffs got done bombing it to hell and the popualtion moral hit zero then map reset.....

1- Stops point less field milk running
2- Gives Buffs 1 main target  so they would tend to fly togeather more
3- Gives you a buff alley so that fighters can do what they should be doing ie Buff hunting (Hey I love to furball to so dont say it)
4- Would give attack fighters a reason to attack Buff hangers at fields closer to the CIty  ( imagine buff pilots complaining about attack pilots dropping buff hangers lol)
5- If the number of players on is low puffy and auto ack in the "City" increases to stop milk running....

Just my opinion mind you