Author Topic: Attention Ignorant Amerikan Sports Fans  (Read 1530 times)

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
Attention Ignorant Amerikan Sports Fans
« Reply #60 on: February 07, 2006, 10:12:03 AM »
The problem with rugby is, no forward pass!

Offline indy007

• Gold Member
« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2006, 10:23:02 AM »
Ahh, the memories from the '94 Cup.... being dumped at Disney World for the day while my parents went off to see.. Holland I think it was, play. Trapped in line for the Thunder Mountain Railroad, in moderately warm Florida weather... with a few hundred tourists that most definately do not have the same love of deoderant that Americans do. It was an eye opening, and watering, experience... never did ride that coaster.

Flying back to Tampa this weekend. I get to drink with some of my old coaches, a bunch of brits that played for the Tampa Bay Rowdies. Been looking forward to this for years :)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2006, 10:26:09 AM by indy007 »

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #62 on: February 07, 2006, 11:35:43 AM »
Originally posted by Stringer
I think that was in '98, and my father-in-law (from Italy) about had a stroke!!  Couldn't believe he missed it.

France won it in 98, Italy were in the 1994 world cup final

Originally posted by gofaster
The problem with rugby is, no forward pass!

if you think about it.. thats what makes it great, it means the players have to carry it forwards - more tackling etc.
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #63 on: February 07, 2006, 01:52:28 PM »
Originally posted by Holden McGroin
Aussie Rules Football is better than Rugby or American Football

You just like the tight shorts they wear.

Offline Pei

• Silver Member
« Reply #64 on: February 07, 2006, 05:02:27 PM »
Originally posted by Vulcan
You just like the tight shorts they wear.

Don't mind Aussie rules, but most of the time it's absololute chaos. Sometimes moments of magic emerge from the mess.

The Ladies love Aussie Rules though. It's something about the players arms I'm told.

Offline Pei

• Silver Member
« Reply #65 on: February 07, 2006, 05:15:04 PM »
Originally posted by Excel1
You have had your moments in rugby at least.

The US are the olympic champions in rugby and have been since 1924. The US beat France in the final at the Paris olympics. Of course that was the last time rugby was an olympic event, and besides France, the only other rugby team to turn up and compete was Romania. But a win is a win.

Excel

The French were so pissed off they lost that they made sure Rugby was dropped.

Sevens was up for inclusion for Beijing but didn't make it.

The US does reasonably well in Rugby and has qualified for the last two World Cups. They usually have some big, impressive athletes but very few players of true world stature (Dan Lyle, Mike Hercus and Luke Gross coming to mind as exceptions).

USA is currently ranked 13th (out of the 50 ranked countries: I think IRB recognizes 80-odd national Unions).

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #66 on: February 07, 2006, 06:20:20 PM »
Originally posted by Pei
Don't mind Aussie rules, but most of the time it's absololute chaos.

That's what I like about it.  Buncha guys runnin aroung kickin the **** out of each other then every once in a while this little guy in a white hat signals that somebody scored.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!