Author Topic: button hook  (Read 594 times)

Offline louietech

• Zinc Member
button hook
« on: March 13, 2006, 08:52:08 PM »
Hi

When I am chasing someone , first they always seem faster then me
nomatter what plane I am flying. and when I am chasing them they all seem to just turn and come right back at me how do you do this manunver?

thanks

louietech

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
button hook
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006, 09:58:39 PM »
Louie, you need to give a LOT more information.

What plane are you in? What plane are they in? were they above or below you. Which direction were they traveling in relation to you when you see them.

You say "regardless" of what plane you are in. Find one specific encounter, remember it, film it if you can, then post. People are happy to help but we need specifics.

Regards
Bring the Beaufighter to Aces High
Raw Prawns      

B.O.S.S. "Beaufighter Operator Support Services" 
Storms and Aeroplanes dont mix

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
button hook
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 04:33:42 AM »
louietech,

"Everyone elsed is always faster" can have a multitude of reasons. Speed of a plane depends on many things:

- plane type
- ordinance (bombs, rockets, drop tanks) loadout
- Energy state (kinetic and potential ie current speed and altitude)

- accelleration (how fast you GAIN speed) also depends on weight/engine power, in other words plane type and your fuel/ammo/ordinance load.

So whos faster will not only depend on plane type, but also on who was higher altitude, who did less maneuvering (ie who lost less Energy by pulling G forces) who has the lioghter plane etc etc...... like FTJR said, youll have to give more info if we are to help you more specificly.

As for that "turn around on me" maneuver..... thats called a reversal. There are many ways to do it. What they all have in common is that in the end, in stead of flying away from your opponent (being chased) you turn into him and come nose to nose (more or less) to merge - which is a better position to start a fight in.

Check out Net aces.... youll find a lot of info on basic fighting tactics there. I especially recommend the "Energy management" and the "Mastering the Merge" articles for starters. If you like very detailed and a bit more complicated explanations, you can move on to SimHQ.

Also, start filming your engagements. In game, press ALT R to start recording (little red R in the upper left corner of your screen). This will dump an film##.ahf file into your HTC/Aces High II/films folder. You can view those films with the AH Film viewer. START > PROGRAMS > Aces High II > Film Viewer, then open the film. (after the first time running its automatically associated with the .ahf file extension and you can simply double click the film to view it).

I usually watch the films in external, with use recorded views, trails and icons checked. That way youll be able to see what your opponent did, and why what you did worked or didnt work. You can also "jump" into your opponents plane by double clicking his name on the right hand side list.

And last but certainly not least, i recommend you spend some quality time in the training arena. Just pop in and see if theres a trainer or a seasoned player online that can give you pointers. Or set up a specific time for practice with one of the trainers. Contact them at trainers@hitechcreations.com.

Welcome to Aces High :).
« Last Edit: March 14, 2006, 05:16:17 AM by Schatzi »
21 is only half the truth.

Offline SAS_KID

• Silver Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/saskid
button hook
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2006, 07:39:28 PM »
Yea im guessing he came down on u went up to do a HO he avoided u turned then after he turned from far out so he is there. Or you both came in at same E state and most likely for you to see him do his turn u had to of turned already and he extended then turned while u were slow. Or at the merge he out turned u.
Quote from: hitech on Today at 09:27:26 AM
What utter and compete BS, quite frankly I should kick you off this bbs for this post.

The real truth is you do not like the answer.

HiTech

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
Re: button hook
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2006, 11:53:34 PM »
Originally posted by louietech
first they always seem faster then me
nomatter what plane I am flying.

That clearly sounds like they are managing their energy better than you.  I know schatzi covered it, but it is an important concept to keep in the back of your mind when flying.  I have a brief write-up on the big "E" here.
The links Schatzi provided are also very good resources as well as the suggestion of contacting the training team for some Training Arena time to answer your questions.

Offline Naytch

• Copper Member
button hook
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2006, 04:24:01 AM »
Also, make sure your throttle is working properly and giving you 100% power. Also...

*what schatzi said* :cool:

Edit: so sorry, but what does 'button hook' mean?

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
button hook
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2006, 04:29:32 AM »
what the heck is 'button hook' apart from an indication that this could be a troll?
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
button hook
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2006, 05:36:53 AM »
Great writeup Murdr. Thanls. :)

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
button hook
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2006, 09:33:35 AM »
Originally posted by B@tfinkV
what the heck is 'button hook' apart from an indication that this could be a troll?

Button Hook is a sewing instrument about 5 inches  in lenght with a small hook at the end which reverses back 180 degrees. I think Naytch is providing us with a visual reference of the situation he's describing.

And no, I don't sew but I do repair buttons :rofl

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
button hook
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2006, 09:42:17 AM »
Originally posted by Max
Button Hook is a sewing instrument about 5 inches  in lenght with a small hook at the end which reverses back 180 degrees. I think Naytch is providing us with a visual reference of the situation he's describing.

And no, I don't sew but I do repair buttons :rofl

Help and Training - indeed! Learn something new every day :).

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
button hook
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2006, 10:50:57 AM »
thanks for the explanation :)
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]