Author Topic: Vulcan  (Read 128 times)

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
Vulcan
« on: March 31, 2006, 12:02:26 PM »
Could you please list the things that makes OSX suck in networks? I'm not gonna start an argument here, but simply put your experience with it in a mac fanatic bbs. You could even PM me with it if you want.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
Re: Vulcan
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006, 03:42:44 PM »
Originally posted by Nilsen
Could you please list the things that makes OSX suck in networks? I'm not gonna start an argument here, but simply put your experience with it in a mac fanatic bbs. You could even PM me with it if you want.

The built in VPN support blows and they use L2TP for their own client/server setup.

Rendevouz generates loads of broadcast traffic (theres quite a few chatty mac apps which will happen spam your network with mindless broadcast traffic).

Theres another protocol that they broadcasts available services (sort of like a portscan in reverse which is like Network Security for the Irish).

Their firewall is "average" (my issues there are more a bunch of Mac users who reckon their firewall is the bees knees).

The other thing is their network services apps (mail, web etc), are all the basic Unix apps and are fairly 'unpatched' compared to the modern unix variants. For example I've seen a couple of apple mail servers bite the dust under medium loads/attacks.

Oh and just for you Nilsen... I'm finishing a wee project this weekend:

From top to bottom: Ciphertrust S100; Sonicwall SSL-2000; Aventail EX-1530; Sonicwall Pro 5060; Foundry Super-X Chassis

I designed it, sold it, and -sigh- implimented/configured it :D

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
Vulcan
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2006, 03:59:12 PM »
thx

Nice playstation you buildt there Vulcan. :D