Author Topic: F4U-4 with post-war skin...  (Read 533 times)

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
F4U-4 with post-war skin...
« on: April 06, 2006, 11:58:25 PM »
The latest F4U-4 is a post-war airplane. The red bar on the nation insignia is a dead give-away.

Besides, the represented squadron, VF-32, wasn't even formed until August of 1948. It had previously been designated VBF-3. But, VBF-3 flew F6F-5s from the USS Yorktown and didn't arrive in theater until February of 1945. They inherited VF-11's Hellcats as VF-11 rotated home.

VF-32 saw its first combat in 1950, over Korea.

So, maybe HTC should reconsider that skin. It's a nice skin, just the wrong war.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2006, 01:03:44 AM »
Maybe a Korean arena is coming!

~AoM~

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2006, 09:47:33 AM »
SHH!!! It's a skin that's NOT a P-51 or a Spit!

We NEED more F4U skins.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Brenjen

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2006, 12:32:21 PM »
Good eye

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2006, 03:19:22 PM »
I noticed that last night in the AvA arena when the F4U4 was enabled. I wondered how a Korean war era skin got approved. The word NAVY on the side is a dead give away too. Nice skin though.:aok

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2006, 03:21:00 PM »
It will be removed soon.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2006, 05:02:42 PM »
When I was skinning F4Us I found this piccy of an F4U-4 flown by John Glenn. I figured the astronaut angle might appeal to the Rooks. :) Sadly further research revealed it to be a post war skin. Glenn also flew F4U-1As or 1Ds during the war, but there don't seem to be any photos of his earlier planes around.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2006, 05:08:22 PM »
More fitting for the Bish, I think.

*Edit* We need more Corsair skins all around, tho. All anyone seems interested in making is yet ANOTHER P-51 or Spitfire.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline eilif

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2006, 05:13:05 PM »
I think most people are waiting for it to be updated so their skin wont have to be redone as well. As it is the corsairs look like legos compared to the new modeling standard.

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2006, 07:02:26 PM »
There are bugs on the current F4U skin. The aileron on one wing reflects onto the front of the other wing. Also F4U's are not that interesting to skin, they look alike for the mostpart, whereas there is much more diversity in P51 and P47 Skins.

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2006, 08:17:22 AM »
Originally posted by eilif
I think most people are waiting for it to be updated so their skin wont have to be redone as well. As it is the corsairs look like legos compared to the new modeling standard.

I agree .... can't wait until they start remodeling the F4U series ... then the F6F ... then the F4F/FM2.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."